Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please take a look at their respective stats when both were 25 years old.

Kawhi is averaging more points while taking less shots. Kobe has a much better Assist to TO ratio, which is to be expected because that is his 8th NBA season and Kawhi is only in his sixth. Pop said that his is working on getting better at attaching the double team and finding the open man. Say it take him this season to figure it out Kawhi might very well be so much better than a prime Kobe at this very moment!!!

If you dig deeper into their advanced stats, what is very interesting is that per 100 possessions they both have that same Defensive Rating 102, but Kawhi has a much higher offensive rating 123 to 112!

Now if only LaMarcus played near Shaqs level

Code:

Rk          Player  Season Age  G GS   MP  FG  FGA  FG%  3P 3PA  3P%  2P  2PA  2P% eFG%  FT FTA  FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
    1      Kobe Bryant 2003-04  25 65 64 37.6 7.9 18.1 .438 1.1 3.3 .327 6.8 14.8 .463 .468 7.0 8.2 .852 1.6 3.9 5.5 5.1 1.7 0.4 2.6 2.7 24.0
    2    Kawhi Leonard 2016-17  25 38 38 33.1 8.1 16.7 .483 2.1 5.0 .413 6.0 11.7 .512 .544 6.4 7.1 .907 1.2 4.4 5.7 3.1 1.9 0.7 1.8 1.5 24.6
    Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 1/17/2017.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As Spurs fans we used to hate Kobe but he was an amazing offensive player. Obviously, he had the me-first gene that fortunately Kawhi doesn't have.

But both players have some proverbial work ethic, in Kawhi's case I'd say it's epic, because he wasn't that gifted like Kobe when he came into the league.

Anyway, I envision Kawhi more like Tim, a team-first superstar trying to compete on both ends.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe Kawhi is an 8.5% better 3-pt shooter than Kobe. People used to think Kobe was a great shooter because he was better than Jordan from deep. Not only is Kawhi the superior defensive player, but now he's better offensively as well.

Kobe...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully his progression continues, tbh..Kobe was the best player of his generation, let's hope Kawhi accomplishes a similar feat..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully his progression continues, tbh..Kobe was the best player of his generation, let's hope Kawhi accomplishes a similar feat..
    What, you dont love timmy anymore?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is a GOD tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi, Lamarcus, and Gasol arguably the best frontline in the game right now..............

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe Kawhi is an 8.5% better 3-pt shooter than Kobe. People used to think Kobe was a great shooter because he was better than Jordan from deep. Not only is Kawhi the superior defensive player, but now he's better offensively as well.

Kobe...
    He actually wasn't better than Jordan from deep. Jordan rarely took threes (so he sucked at them) early career obv, but even keeping that in, if you subtract his Wizards years their 3pt% was practically identical. In fact Jordan's was slightly higher, .332 vs Kobe's .329. If we give MJ the benefit of the doubt and throw out his first 4 seasons when he clearly didn't even like to shoot threes and sucked badly at them, then he was a .371% 3pt shooter. Notably better than Kobe. In fact Kobe only ever surpassed that % for a single season (and barely) just twice, once being during the shortened 3pt line era.

Now you may say "bro you're throwing out a lot of seasons though", which is true, but it points out a good fact: From '88-'98, the bulk of MJ's career, he was a much better and more reliable 3pt shooter than Kobe ever was. MJ did in fact suck at them his first 4 seasons though (3pt shot wasn't a big part of the NBA at the time) and he was mediocre in general when he played for the Wizards at 40+ years old after 3 years of retirement. Those seasons are what pulls his career % down to Kobe's level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good find, good stuff.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've always thought they have that same turnaround jumper. Kawhi has a little uglier version of all of Kobe's moves. I've yet to have anyone disagree with my strange observation

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    No , Sherlock. Of course Kawhi's better than some D-League-caliber scrub.

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Statistically maybe ... but on the court? That's a tough call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wat

Veteran
    My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    Kawhi has better hand-eye coordination -- its why he's so good at finishing at rim and shooting (hence higher FG%).
    Kobe has better foot speed and explosiveness -- its why he can guard quicker players like Iverson/Kyrie/CP3 and break down his man alot easier.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    better scorer than Tim ever was already

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He actually wasn't better than Jordan from deep. Jordan rarely took threes (so he sucked at them) early career obv, but even keeping that in, if you subtract his Wizards years their 3pt% was practically identical. In fact Jordan's was slightly higher, .332 vs Kobe's .329. If we give MJ the benefit of the doubt and throw out his first 4 seasons when he clearly didn't even like to shoot threes and sucked badly at them, then he was a .371% 3pt shooter. Notably better than Kobe. In fact Kobe only ever surpassed that % for a single season (and barely) just twice, once being during the shortened 3pt line era.

Now you may say "bro you're throwing out a lot of seasons though", which is true, but it points out a good fact: From '88-'98, the bulk of MJ's career, he was a much better and more reliable 3pt shooter than Kobe ever was. MJ did in fact suck at them his first 4 seasons though (3pt shot wasn't a big part of the NBA at the time) and he was mediocre in general when he played for the Wizards at 40+ years old after 3 years of retirement. Those seasons are what pulls his career % down to Kobe's level.
    I see.

Kobe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    better scorer than Tim ever was already
    You can thank the era for that. Put prime Tim in a modern offense his points and efficiency would go up.
    Last edited by Nathan89; 01-18-2017 at 04:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can think the era for that. Put prime Tim in a modern offense his points and efficiency would go up.
    Other big men didn't have problems scoring in the same era.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other big men didn't have problems scoring in the same era.
    Who? Shaq? KG scored in the low 20's as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

3point line was closer in Jordan's era. They moved it back near his second retirement

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

http://pw1.netcom.com/~bjalas/basket...point_line.htm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jordan and the Bulls exposed! Thanks, @. I actually had forgotten about the league's tampering with the 3-point line...

Thread Information