View Poll Results: Who do you side with?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pop was right

84 58.33%
  • Parker was right

60 41.67%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's rare to see Tony Parker and Pop yelling at each other but that took place early in the second quarter against the Pistons. Here was the scenario: Parker didn't close all the way out on Rodney Stuckey when Stuckey was in the corner behind the three-point line. Instead, Parker closed out to within about five feet to protect against the drive. Stuckey proceeded to rise up and knock down the three-pointer after a slight hesitation.

Pop, as is usually the case when an opposing player gets an open three-pointer, wasn't too happy. On the next stoppage, he yelled at Parker for not closing out. He then took Parker out of the game and the two exchanged more heated words. Why was Parker angry? He felt he was following the scouting report. Coming into the game, Stuckey was 14.7% on three-pointers. Even worse than that, he had missed his last ten from downtown and was just one for his last 19.

So angry was Pop that he kept George Hill on the floor even though Hill picked up his fourth foul midway through the second period. Parker eventually returned right before halftime and there were no more further issues. After the game was over, Pop made a point to praise Parker's defensive play in the fourth quarter -- even specifically mentioning Parker good close-out on a three-point shooter.

With the evidence at hand, who do you side with? Parker for playing the percentages and giving up the open look to a shooter in an extreme slump or Pop for ignoring the percentages and wanting Parker to close-out more aggressively?

(Gotta love the boring Spurs. This is their version of the Arenas gunplay.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sean backed up Tony during the broadcast saying something like "You can't blame him Stuckey is shooting almost 10% from three coming into this game"..

Having said that... you just don't leave him open... Help defense should be there if he passes by TP...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were both right. There is a difference between following the scouting report (like TP did) and being lazy. TP should have got out there a little closer, but Stuckey's shot still looked difficult. TP was right not to charge out there with reckless abandon, and with the help defense being kind of shaky along with Stuckey's ability to draw fouls, I don't blame TP or Pop.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't Stuckey the one the Mavs left wide open the night before to shoot a potential game-tying three? Everybody but Pop seems to know the guy can't shoot.

After the mistakes with Parker and the mistakes in rotations, I'm wondering if this is the year the Spurs players start to actually acknowledge that the emperor has no clothes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, i remember Pop having words with manu, that was fun. Manu yelled back at Pop who benched him immediatly. not abig deal, no risk of doghouse obviously.

as for the play, was that clearly intentional from TP or was it a lazy play ? are we sure of what Pop was asking him in defense ? was interior help defense ready ?

i would like to replay the play and the "discussion" between the two, just for fun.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a corner 3 pointer and Stuckey did not even look on balance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had misunderstood them to have been yelling about a couple of offensive sets that didn't go the way Pop wanted. I thought I saw Pop call tony over after a foul call on our end and tony was gesturing at our basket and arguing with him. I thought he pulled him after the next play.

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm with Pop on this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp, good question but I'm fairly sure you know the answer.

Whether Tony agrees with Pop's scheme or not, it's written in stone in the "Book of Pop" that the easiest shot for an offensive player to take from the perimeter is in the corner. Pop has Rule 1. Do not leave the corner shooter open. Sean and Tony both know that if you want to get pulled out of the game, you leave a corner shooter open...regardless of who it is. You contest those shots and you are obeying Pop. You don't contest those shots, even one shot, you are temporarily but officially on Pop's list.

In Pop's defensive scheme, Parker was wrong. My reaction when first witnessing that play was, "that's a very tentative, if not lazy close-out by TP there."

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sean backed up Tony during the broadcast saying something like "You can't blame him Stuckey is shooting almost 10% from three coming into this game"..

Having said that... you just don't leave him open... Help defense should be there if he passes by TP...
    I'm with Pop on this one, more for the future than for Stuckey. If the Spurs are ever going to get anywhere near their days of stifling defense, everyone has to play the role the situation dictates. They have to close out on ALL 3-point shooters and not make a habit of over-thinking the situation. Each guy has to expect their help will bail them out if the guy gets past him. And if that doesn't happen, Pop screams at someone else, not Tony. Tony shouldn't have to think "This is Barbosa - close out" or "This is Stuckey - wait on the drive".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't matter really, more important is that Pop has made it clear that he won't accept anything less than Parker playing some Spurs D. From the facts given here, sounds like Pop jumped the gun. But I'm sure everyone else on the squad has gotten a dose of the same at times...nothing wrong with Parker joining the club

I say, if Pop says Tony will play D or ride the bench, I say we now have a real shot at thethis year! Tony's scoring may go down, and he may still have his best year ever!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I blame Popovich for playing mind games with players - Period. Especially veteran players. There's no excuse for embarrassing players by benching them for extended periods. Parker deserves better than that.

I can't stand coaches like that. I've played for guys like that, and it creates at atmosphere of fear, rather than an atmosphere of confidence. It's the whole negative motivation technique. This is precisely why RJ is having problems, and probably Dice as well. I know Pop has had a lot of success, but I can't give him all the credit for four rings. Tim Duncan deserves the credit way before Pop.

Brent Barry has spoken about the difference between playing "tight" and playing "loose" - specifically he mentioned Rick Adelman and how this year's Houston team is playing well despite a serious talent gap because they are allowed to play loose. They are really playing above their talent level because Adelman has given them that freedom and confidence in each other.

If this Spurs team played above their talent level, we would definitely win the le. But unfortunately Pop and his ridiculous control freak game-playing will never allow a team to play loose. Guys will always be afraid of getting yanked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always rather give up a three point attempt than a lay-up or high % shot, specially if the shooter averages 14% from that area, so I'm with Tony.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop rips him, Tony plays his best half of the season. coincidence? no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm with Tony, Stuckey is damn good at driving to the hoop but has a weak outside game, you have to bait him into taking the shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Popovich is benching Parker and Manu as punishment, then I don't see how he has the respect of anyone on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony is motivated when Pop rips him, so it can't be a bad thing that it happened. Some players don't respond well to that kind of treatment, but Tony does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Popovich is benching Parker and Manu as punishment, then I don't see how he has the respect of anyone on the team.
    That's exactly what earns him the respect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im WIth Pop, Considering he should Have Help Backing him up.... Plus Tony's Defense Has Been Suspect This Year.... Im glad Pop Did what he did....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had Stuckey missed, this would be a non-issue?

Pop is 51% right simply because not closing out on a shooter indicates lack of effort, no matter the percentages.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop was right. We don't play the percentages.. we play spurs defense. This is the NBA- Nba players make open shots... it would be interesting to know what stucky's percentage is when the defense doesn't close out on him. I bet its higher.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stuckey is a .277 3 point shooter, you give him that shot if he wants it 10 times out of 10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "One of the best positions for shooting is
    when the player is positioned in the corner
    on the ball side. The majority of coaches
    want their players to try and stop the penetration
    by moving the defender X4 to play
    this defensive role. I do just the opposite. A
    defender from the angle never helps on penetration
    because I won’t let the offense
    make a shot from the corner. This defensive
    concept is, among other things, one of
    the reasons why San Antonio was second
    in the NBA defensive statistics for the
    lowest percentage of three-point shots
    made by opponents.

My second rule is that the player with the
    ball can never penetrate to the middle of
    the court. Our goal is to always direct him
    to the baseline. If the defender of the
    player with the ball lets the penetration into
    the middle, I will immediatly take that
    player out of the game." - Gregg Popovich (excerpt from "The Game Philosophy of the San Antonio Spurs")

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's exactly what earns him the respect.
    Punishing all-stars like they're children doesn't earn respect. He didn't bench Parker and Manu for mistakes when they were rookies. Holding everyone to the same standard is admirable, but treating everyone like Francisco Elson or Beno Udrih is outright insanity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Incorrect assessment.

Tony missed a few assignments and ballhogged for a couple of plays which caused Pop's top to explode.

like someone said that shot by stuckey was a prayer so no way that was the lone reason Pop exploded.

The strange thing about all this is Tony talked back, which is stupid because we all know Pop enjoys grilling players once in a while. So neither was wrong or right.

Thread Information