Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I love it when Michael locks himself in his office and keeps replaying the same 30 second sample of a depressing song he found on itunes. He's too cheap to buy it, so he just keeps replaying it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Gareth: Alright, it's Christmas dinner. Royal family... having a Christmas dinner. Camilla Parker-Bowles says, "Okay, we'll play 20 Questions. I'll think of something and you have to ask me questions and guess what it is." And what she's thinking of is a black man's .

David: Ha! Trust Camilla! -- It's not racist, is it?

Gareth: No, no. Um...

So, Prince Philip goes, "Is it bigger than the bread bin?" and she goes, "Yeah."

Charles goes, "Is it something I can put in my mouth?", she goes, "Yeah."

The Queen goes, "Is it a black man's ?"

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Gareth: Alright, it's Christmas dinner. Royal family... having a Christmas dinner. Camilla Parker-Bowles says, "Okay, we'll play 20 Questions. I'll think of something and you have to ask me questions and guess what it is." And what she's thinking of is a black man's .

So, Prince Philip goes, "Is it bigger than the bread bin?" and she goes, "Yeah."

lol, you surprised me with that one. I was think American (NBC) The Office but still a good one.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Todd Packer: "What has two thumbs and likes to bone your mom?" "This guy."

Michael: "Todd Packer and I are total BFFs, Best Friends Forever. We came up together in sales. One time we went to a bar and met this set of twins. And Packer said that we were brothers. One thing lead to another, and we took them to our hotel room... And Packer did BOTH of them! It was awesome!"

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

BBC > US Office, for sure. Not even close.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Some quick background... Gareth is the character Dwight is based on, and he's always talking about his time in the army. Tim is who Jim is based on, and Dawn is the original version of Pam

Tim: I was wondering if a military man like you, um - a soldier - could-could you give a man a lethal blow?

Gareth: If I was forced to. I could. If it was absolutely necessary. If he was attacking me.

Tim: If he was coming really hard?

Gareth: Yeah, if my life was in danger, yeah.

Dawn: And do you always imagine doing it face to face with a bloke or could you take a man from behind?

Gareth: Either way is easy.

Dawn: Either way. And so you could do a man from behind?

Gareth: Yeah...

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Creed: That wasn't a tapeworm.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I may need to get some of those BBC Office from netflix....

edit: hmmm, on netflix, the american show is rated way higher.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I may need to get some of those BBC Office from netflix....

edit: hmmm, on netflix, the american show is rated way higher.
    The BBC one is much, much better imo.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I believe it. I haven't seen either though.

I've been into british humor ever since the 70s back when I watched Monty Python's Flying Circus. Then I got into Benny Hill after that, then Fawlty Towers, Mr Bean and some others.

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    Name
    Sean Jacquemotte
    Grew up on the NE side-Briarwick.Stationed at Ft. Carson, CO
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

My favorite prank

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    dwight is on the computer playing a game

someone says 'whats the mattter, have to do stuff on a game you cant do in real life?"

hes like "no its just my life is so perfect that i like to simulate it exactly for fun" and it shows the game and hes sitting at his desk, doing his work being productive and efficient

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    BBC > US Office, for sure. Not even close.
    The Beatles are like the British version of The Office. Fantastic, but they pale in comparison to what they inspired.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    College
    Incarnate Word Cardinals
    dwight is on the computer playing a game

someone says 'whats the mattter, have to do stuff on a game you cant do in real life?"

hes like "no its just my life is so perfect that i like to simulate it exactly for fun" and it shows the game and hes sitting at his desk, doing his work being productive and efficient
    yeah that was good "my life is so great that I literally wanted a second one"

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    The BBC one is much, much better imo.
    Finally, someone on this forum agrees with me on that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    let's all be honest here for a second, the British Version is not as good as the US version. Everytime people argue it they always come off as those people who just argue it to be different as somehow having that opinion makes them more artistic. It's like whenever people see a movie, they always say the book was better. I know people who say the book was better even when they didn't read it, they just say that. I'm willing to bet that is the case for most of the "UK version is so much better" people

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    let's all be honest here for a second, the British Version is not as good as the US version. Everytime people argue it they always come off as those people who just argue it to be different as somehow having that opinion makes them more artistic. It's like whenever people see a movie, they always say the book was better. I know people who say the book was better even when they didn't read it, they just say that. I'm willing to bet that is the case for most of the "UK version is so much better" people
    I like Ricky Gervais, and think Carrell is pretty annoying in general. I think Gareth is a better character. I tried watching the US one for a bit, but it was just kinda boring. Also, the book is better 90% of the time, provided you can read.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    I like Ricky Gervais, and think Carrell is pretty annoying in general. I think Gareth is a better character. I tried watching the US one for a bit, but it was just kinda boring. Also, the book is better 90% of the time, provided you can read.
    the book is better because it came out first, same thing with The UK Office. This phenomenon is always true with intellectual creations, the reverse is the case for most tangible items like electronics. But people will always say the music of the 60's was better than the 70's which was better that the 80's and 90's. People will say the movies of the 70's were better than those of today. Whatever came first is better in most peoples' eyes.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    I love both the UK and US version, but the UK version is definitely better.

The US version sometimes gets Michael & Dwight's characters to do things so ridiculous that it reduces them to cartoon characters, and it makes it tougher to take them seriously as real people. The UK version never crossed that border where the comedy got cartoonish. You always believed in the characters, which made the ending work even better.

Also, Jim & Pam are annoying as , their relationship has been sappy and contrived from the start. That part of the US Office has always been a weak point. The Tim/Dawn relationship in the UK Office was done about a million times better.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    perfect example of my theory is people standing in line for that piece of Mona Lisa. Why do people act like that is the greatest painting ever? Go to the louvre and it's like the least substantial painting there. It is small, and it's boring. You can go to any modern art museum and see hundreds of paintings better than that piece of , but that is revered around the world.

Same thing with the Beatles. The Beatles are alright, but they are blown out of proportion to the point where no band ever will be on their level. People put the Beatles on this pedestal where nobody can even be mentioned with them. People always ask "Why does the music of today suck>?" the reason is because they make the music of yesterday is blown way out of proportion. Radiohead is the best band of our generation (that's a fact) yet, they will never be able to be mentioned with the Beatles because people have spent nearly 40 years making the Beatles into more than they are.

Same thing with people and books. Sometimes the movie is better, but people will never admit it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    What exactly do you like better about the US version?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    The British version is funnier because:

1) They can make sex jokes that would never fly on the censored American airwaves. In the American version you'd never see pranks like Tim sneaking a dildo in David's office to embarrass him in an important meeting or David wanting to fire someone when he finds out a photoshopped picture of him getting ed on by two guys is circulating around the office. Or Gareth telling the woman hitting on Tim that she'd better make Tim wear a condom if she ever wants Gareth to go up in there (while pointing down at her pussy).

No way you hear the "black man's joke" or you see the gag birthday gifts people get like dildos, inflatable s, etc. And you certainly don't see David's best friend, Chris Finch, taking the birthday girl doggystyle in the alley. Or when Tim and Dawn always try to get Gareth to say gay things like he'd take a man from behind (he thinks he's talking about killing an enemy soldier) or use his hole as bait (his foxhole).

2) David Brent (Ricky Gervais) is a much funnier boss than Michael Scott. Micheal is an egotistical moron. David is just a guy always seeking approval from his inferiors, and the awkward silences every time he tells a funny joke to them are hilarious. The way David constantly tells his employees they're working for the greatest boss ever is hilarious. So is the way he keeps kissing up to the one black guy after getting in trouble for telling the black man's joke.

3) There are no real assholes on the original office, whereas everyone on the US office aside from Pam is a huge prick. The British character, Gareth, that inspired Dwight is hilarious because he just blurts out what's on his mind, as opposed to Dwight who is a complete bag. Keith is probably the best supporting character with his apathy and laziness, and the US Office split him into two less funny characters (you can see his apathy in Stanley and the laziness and incompetence in Kevin).

4) The British Office is funny because it's more like a real office than its American counterpart. The US Office relies too much on anger between everyone, and just always comes off as a dysfunctional mess.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    What exactly do you like better about the US version?
    it's just more enjoyable, I don't have to sit there and wonder what the the guys is trying to say. I don't have to try and understand British humor (or humour if I'm talking like a Brit). I've watched it, I have the DVDs, it's just not as enjoyable. I don't understand how Americans could like it better than the US version (not saying they shouldn't like it at all). But I should preface that I'm not someone who goes to foreign films and reads the dialog.

I mean it's a good show, but to say the US version sucks, and that one is great is crazy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes

2) David Brent (Ricky Gervais) is a much funnier boss than Michael Scott. Micheal is an egotistical moron. David is just a guy always seeking approval from his inferiors, and the awkward silences every time he tells a funny joke to them are hilarious. The way David constantly tells his employees they're working for the greatest boss ever is hilarious. So is the way he keeps kissing up to the one black guy after getting in trouble for telling the black man's joke.
    see this is where we must disagree because I think Michael Scott is the funniest person on the show and I think his character is great. I watch it for Michael Scott. I like that difference, and you dislike it, so there is a major difference

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    The US version is funny, but there's nothing genuine about it. They could turn it into an animated series and wouldn't have to change a thing in the way that they write the show. That might make it better, because then Michael could bash Dwight over the head with a giant wooden mallet.

Thread Information