Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, I was browsing around on Newegg yesterday looking for deals to add to my current system, and my fiancee noticed me looking through some parts. She said, "You should just build a new computer and buy it." I played it off like she was joking, but she wasn't, and said we could afford to splurge a bit on the system. So I put together a rig and pulled the trigger.

I ended up spending more money than I anticipated, but the upside of this system is that I will not need to seriously upgrade any parts for the next 4-5 years other than adding a second 6950 in probably 2014. I can't wait to get this thing in my house and slap it together!

Case:
    COOLER MASTER HAF 922

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119197

Mobo:

ASUS P8H67-M EVO LGA 1155 - 4 RAM slots with a max expandable to 32 gigs of memory, Quad SLI/Crossfire ready.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131689

Processor:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost). The Sandy Bridge is the newest architecture from Intel. I almost went with an AMD Hexacore processor here, but upon reviewing the benchmarks, I really couldn't turn down going Intel. They are just better than AMD for processing power now, especially for games. The overclocked i5 will actually outperform i7 in a lot of applications, so it made sense to save money here and go with the cheaper CPU. Plus, my Q6600 has been such a beast of a processor that I kind of feel like it's worth it to stay with Intel in this stage.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115072

RAM:

8 GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 1600 mhz DDR3 ram.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231311

Video Card:

ATI Radeon 6950 with 2 GB of memory. This thing is awesome for the price. I almost went with a GTX 570, but considering this is $60 cheaper, I could put that $60 toward a crossfire solution in the future. The flashed version of the 6950 makes it a 6970, which offers performance on par with the 570 and actually will outperform it due to the extra memory (2 GB vs 1280mb) at high resolutions.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150518
    (Will be unlocking this to a 6970 )

Brick Viva

I went overkill here to get a PSU that would support crossfire with no worries.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139009

Storage hard drive:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136592

OS boot drive:
    From BIOS config to Windows in ~12 seconds. Unbelievable speed. I went overboard here too, I really didn't need a flash drive for my OS but I couldn't resist.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148357

Optical drive and Sound card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135204
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102003

This is my first truly "dream" system since I bought a Dell XPS2 laptop with the 6800 Ultra (a GPU even desktops didn't have at the time). Man, I'm totally stoked about it.

This will also be the first time I've assembled a computer from scratch in quite a while. I'll probably be throwing an aftermarket cooler on the CPU in the near future, but for now I just want it to get here so I can max out Bad Company 2 and pwn some noobs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    About $1200 after rebates, MIG. Not bad considering everything on it is essentially top of the line except the CPU which is insanely overclockable. Some people have even got it up to 4.6 Ghz.

The GPU is a step down from the 6970 but can be flashed to be just as fast. It's not quite as fast as the 5970, but I wasn't about to throw down $600 for a video card.

Edit: Also, I'm selling my old desktop probably for ~$350-400, so the total cost of this system will only set me back 800ish bucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, this is why I love console gaming. The graphics may not be as good, but they're not exactly bad by any means and there is just the one time cost and no need to upgrade.

That being said, I do miss the control I had on my PC. Have fun with your new setup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    after rebates you mean claimin the comp as a business taxable deduction?

umm i wouldnt bother with the video card 6950 firmware unlocking to 6970...if u fck it up no warranty doesnt cover it

nice build there man,
    that haf tower theres 2 versions of it, i was planning to upgrade to that just for the 20mm side fan is fkn nasty...

why didnt you get a proper intercooler if ur overclocking?

wheres the SSD hard drive? get that as a boot drive and watever hdd u got left from other comp just plug it in as secondary storage....

ps. i just got a new 24, and some crap from logitech like that g17 keyboard and some razor game mouse...still in boxes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    after rebates you mean claimin the comp as a business taxable deduction?
    No, mail in rebates via newegg.com.

umm i wouldnt bother with the video card 6950 firmware unlocking to 6970...if u fck it up no warranty doesnt cover it
    If that happens I just flash the GPU back to it's original clock setting, it shouldn't be a problem at all. Literally all the flash does is unlock the extra cores to make it a 6970. Lifetime warranty on the card as well.

why didnt you get a proper intercooler if ur overclocking?
    I really don't plan to overclock this system. If I ever need to overclock anything in it for the next 5 years, I'll be upset.

wheres the SSD hard drive? get that as a boot drive and watever hdd u got left from other comp just plug it in as secondary storage....
    That's exactly what I'm doing. In my OP I linked this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148357

ps. i just got a new 24, and some crap from logitech like that g17 keyboard and some razor game mouse...still in boxes
    By 24, I assume you mean a new monitor? Nice man. I tried the G17 and actually hated it. It's a huuuuuuuge keyboard, and when I play Starcraft I need a lot of efficiency so I can tell where all my control groups are. I use a basic no frills keyboard now and it's great for RTSing.

Yeah, this is why I love console gaming. The graphics may not be as good, but they're not exactly bad by any means and there is just the one time cost and no need to upgrade.
    I somewhat disagree with you here. Consoles are still damned expensive (the Ps3 was $600 at launch!) and they do little else well except game and play movies. This computer probably will not need to be upgraded for a minimum of 3 years, and when I do I'll probably just buy a $90 (at the time) 6950 to give me Crossfire performance and then go right back to running games at near max resolution and detail levels. Also, this is a major splurge on a computer, I could have spent $450 and got a system that would game pretty well. It basically amounts to the fact that you could spend $15,000 on a Honda Civic and have a of a lot of fun driving it balls out around a racetrack, but you get even more enjoyment if you go with a 350Z that just blasts through corners and can be tuned for even more performance. Same basic experience but different levels of potential enjoyment.

And to be honest, I would rather sink my money into a computer than blow it elsewhere. I was looking at a $200 straight edge razor to shave with prior to this. Now I have an excuse to be frugal for the next few months and save up some money again.

That being said, I do miss the control I had on my PC. Have fun with your new setup.
    Thanks. I need to name it. My old computer had blue internal LEDs and I named it Shiva. Thinking of calling this one Ifrit, since it's got red LEDs.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    your poor poor fiancee

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I somewhat disagree with you here. Consoles are still damned expensive (the Ps3 was $600 at launch!) and they do little else well except game and play movies. This computer probably will not need to be upgraded for a minimum of 3 years, and when I do I'll probably just buy a $90 (at the time) 6950 to give me Crossfire performance and then go right back to running games at near max resolution and detail levels. Also, this is a major splurge on a computer, I could have spent $450 and got a system that would game pretty well.
    Exactly. I'm still running a 3.0 Ghz core 2 duo at 3.0, purchased in Dec 2006. Only thing I have really changed is adding HDD space and I have upgraded my video card twice - right now I have a 4870 I purchased in 2009 and I can play everything out there right now still at pretty good speed. I probably would have upgraded sooner if I still avidly played games, but there isn't much point in it for me right now.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kidding. have fun. you deserve it. i cant wait to get out of college so i can splurge on things like this .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hey mofo

u going to eyefinity setup??? 3X 65inch LCDS setup...do it so you can see how big me penor is

mate if your going to blow big money on a expensive video card, you might as well get a new screen to utilize that high resolution and frame rates.....120mhz led monitor should be ur next purchase...u got money to blow, get a +27' dell IPS monitor when on special with coupon 10-15% discount

u going to get a blue-ray drive or just play ur blue-ray movies of a console?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. I'm still running a 3.0 Ghz core 2 duo at 3.0, purchased in Dec 2006. Only thing I have really changed is adding HDD space and I have upgraded my video card twice - right now I have a 4870 I purchased in 2009 and I can play everything out there right now still at pretty good speed. I probably would have upgraded sooner if I still avidly played games, but there isn't much point in it for me right now.
    its only a problem when cpu is bottlenecking the vga card not keeping up with it, or ur not happy with ur frame rates....still i think that 3ghz could be overclocked to 4ghz, i assume ur running a e8400 cpu?? a video card is probably ur next upgrade, nothing major since thats still a good cpu one of the best overclockers...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's actually what I have in my current desktop -- 4870. I probably wouldn't be upgrading now, however I bought the computer used, and the guy who built it prior to me put an old mobo in it and used Vista as the OS. So basically I'm limited to one video card (no crossfire) and 3.2 GB of RAM, because Vista won't accept more. If he would have invested a little more in it, I wouldn't have to upgrade to a whole new system now, but now that the new GPUs are out, there is no time like the present.

your poor poor fiancee

kidding. have fun. you deserve it. i cant wait to get out of college so i can splurge on things like this .
    No, you had it right the first time. She's just accepted the fact that I'm a gamer and sometimes I get home from work in a bad mood and need to blow off some steam. She's actually becoming somewhat of a gamer fangirl by proxy, and since we started dating she REALLY loves watching Spurs games with me -- she even logs into game chats during the games!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hey mofo

u going to eyefinity setup??? 3X 65inch LCDS setup...do it so you can see how big me penor is

mate if your going to blow big money on a expensive video card, you might as well get a new screen to utilize that high resolution and frame rates.....120mhz led monitor should be ur next purchase...u got money to blow, get a +27' dell IPS monitor when on special with coupon 10-15% discount

u going to get a blue-ray drive or just play ur blue-ray movies of a console?
    Not sure exactly what I'm going to do with this rig... but I'm eying my 42" plasma TV as a potential primary monitor... could be sexy....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's actually what I have in my current desktop -- 4870. I probably wouldn't be upgrading now, however I bought the computer used, and the guy who built it prior to me put an old mobo in it and used Vista as the OS. So basically I'm limited to one video card (no crossfire) and 3.2 GB of RAM, because Vista won't accept more. If he would have invested a little more in it, I wouldn't have to upgrade to a whole new system now, but now that the new GPUs are out, there is no time like the present.
    thats because the clown gave u vista32 bit onto that system

No, you had it right the first time. She's just accepted the fact that I'm a gamer and sometimes I get home from work in a bad mood and need to blow off some steam. She's actually becoming somewhat of a gamer fangirl by proxy, and since we started dating she REALLY loves watching Spurs games with me -- she even logs into game chats during the games!
    mate theres other ways of blowing out steam

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good luck on the build bro. I'll post my specs soon as I have them ordered (sometime this week), and post some pics of the finished product!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thats because the clown gave u vista32 bit onto that system
    Yeah, but the CPU is aging, I would have to get a new Mobo, new ram, and a new vid card to really make it modern again. And the case I have is nice looking but in reality is ancient... no front side USB ports even. Might as well start over.

mate theres other ways of blowing out steam

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good luck on the build bro. I'll post my specs soon as I have them ordered (sometime this week), and post some pics of the finished product!
    Dooooooooo it.

I'm definitely going to have pics of not only the final build, but of me putting it together as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont miss big clunky pc cases! Thank god im no nerd game playing fool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont miss big clunky pc cases! Thank god im no nerd game playing fool.
    Yeah. Thank goodness you aren't a nerd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why don't you buy that epic PC that does the best of everything at maximum for $350? Should of just bought an Xbox 360.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. Thank goodness you aren't a nerd.
    Every time Koriwhat es about something I can't help but think "that is still better than calf tats". Clunky PC cases >>>>> Calf Tats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL @ 4-5 years.

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count

or the worry that everytime you buy a new PC game, "will my video card run this?"

this happened to me with several games some years ago. never played Black & White 2 because of pixel shader stuff.

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    also, cool build. have fun with it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dayum, lol

http://www.inquisitr.com/84156/compa...ox-360-hybrid/

4 video cards!? i wish I were this wealthy to burn money on something like that

Thread Information