Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was coming home from the store thinking I would catch the last of the trade deadline...watching other teams make minor moves to get better while the Spurs hung out and waited for the post-deadline buyouts.

But no...they did the incredible...they got rid of RJ. And for who?

Buckets mother ers.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's get that straight. But this trade is NOT a salary dump. If it was, then it would've been smarter to keep RJ and just amnesty his contract at the end of the season.
    Even if the Spurs amnestied RJ, they still had to pay him the money due (it just wouldn't have counted against the cap). After this year, Jackson is due $10 million, while RJ is due $21.1 million.

That's a $11.1 million savings for a late first round pick. If Jackson never even comes to San Antonio, this is a GREAT trade. If Jackson does anything as a Spur, it's gravy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jax is not the same player he once was, but this could work if he decides to play the role Pop allocates to him. If he doesn't, welcome to the doghouse!

Intriguing move.

Even though it saves money, it disturbs me a little that it took a first rounder in a deep draft to get this done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, calm down and use your brain instead of your emotions...

I'm not mad at getting rid of RJ. Let's get that straight. But this trade is NOT a salary dump. If it was, then it would've been smarter to keep RJ and just amnesty his contract at the end of the season. RJ was traded FOR someone, and that someone has a similar salary this year and the next. SJax may or may not be eligible for that same amnesty, but if the Spurs use it, it means the trade was a failure and the Spurs lost a 1st round pick in the process. To further the risk, I understand there's some rule that means SJax, who's reported as injured, must play on the team in a few days to be eligible to play in the playoffs?

Regardless of that, this trade is about making a run for the le. And while I feel as if SJax is a MUCH better fit in the Spurs scheme, there's a REASON why he wasn't resigned by the Spurs in 03 (he was vocally bitter about it as well).

Let's just hope Jax has matured. If I recall, an immature Pao Gasol was upset last year about a rumor surrounding his gf. Lamar Odom is a mess in Dallas. Some guys are just not right chemisty-wise. I'm not sayin SJax is not - as I really hope he is. I'm just mentioning we need to be cautious.

I do hope and pray Pop has got this one...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some said they couldn't do it, and it got done.
    While he was here, it was less than fun.

Thank God R.C. was able to pull off what many thought was the impossible.

Good to have Captain Jack coming back into the fold.

I hope the Spurs FO learned a valuable lesson about importing players who do not fit the system - then compounding the issue by re-upping them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Aldridge really loves the trade. He keeps praising it on nbatv while the other two guys are all Magic, Magic, Magic, Lakers, Lakers, Lakers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He probably still wants it. And he'll ask for it. But no way the Spurs give it to him. He miiiiight get a one year extension after the season if he performs well.
    Let's hope it doesn't affect his play. What's the reason for his numbers being down this year?

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other side of the conversation

what were the spurs thinking lmaooo
    Stephen Jackson for a 1st round AND richard jefferson?
    There is a GAWD...
    HALLEJULAH !!!
    So now we traded Monta Ellis, Ekpe Udoh and Kwame Brown for Andrew Bogut, Richard Jefferson, and a 1st round draft pick.
    (note: this guy has a point. overall the Warriors have improved a lot)

this is a great deal.
    Bravo.
    • Jefferson’s got an extra year on his contract, but he’s also two years younger.
    • Jefferson’s a much more complementary/team player: scores much more efficiently, rebounds a bit better, turns the ball over much less.
    • We don’t have to pretend to like the jerk who gladly signed a pricy contract extension with us and then crapped all over us.
    • FIRST ROUND PICK.
    It sounds oddly similar to what we're saying

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's hope it doesn't affect his play. What's the reason for his numbers being down this year?
    Scott Skiles & Brandon Jennings.

Soak In Your Own Blood BanditHiro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a little beaten but it can still do it's job

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mike Brown was the guy that kept Pop and SJ from killing each other. I wonder who will fill that role now.

The memories of SJ being clutch are awesome but the ones of him getting pulled after 1 minute or less in a game are still fresh for me too. Those were hilarious.

No doubt, this is a GREAT trade. RJ was worthless and his game was flat and uninspiring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sjax has a lot to play for, when he gets in game shape, he's gonna help the Spurs quite a bit. Let's just hope he stays healthy and contributes in some way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a great trade for the Warriors..

Jefferson fits in very well with a non-playoff team like the Warriors..no pressure, just play offensive ball..as an offensive player, he's easily better than Jax..

In addition, they received a first round pick..

I like the trade, as a Spurs fan, but strictly from a basketball perspective, Golden State easily got the better deal..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a strange feeling Jax is going to hit some big shots for us in the playoffs...

The more I think about it, the more I like this as a gamble for a run at the le. Sure as we weren't going much past the second round without a move, but Jaxanity might be just the tonic to take us on an insane run. Let's hope so.

Unfortunately, we still have the glaring Grizz-Bonner issue though...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, calm down and use your brain instead of your emotions...
    Oh the irony.

Yes it was a salary dump first and foremost. It's just one that has about 5 or 10% chance to help basketball-wise too, that's what makes it great. I'm sure Holt paying off $21 million to amnesty RJ is not your problem, but it sure is his.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree.

I think the odds of Jackson being able to "find the magic" here aren't all that good, but they're greater than zero. The Spurs traded something that wasn't going to work for something that might.
    Exactly. The ceiling for RJ is that he doesn't completely disappear in the playoffs for once. The ceiling for Jack is that he helps the Spurs win a le. This is worth it for the potential increase in defense alone.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @DaTrillStak5: Question fans. Should I stay with 1 or should I go back to 3.
    @GDWine: @DaTrillStak5 3's where it's at
    @DaTrillStak5: Thanks to my fans 3 it is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if the Spurs amnestied RJ, they still had to pay him the money due (it just wouldn't have counted against the cap). After this year, Jackson is due $10 million, while RJ is due $21.1 million.

That's a $11.1 million savings for a late first round pick. If Jackson never even comes to San Antonio, this is a GREAT trade. If Jackson does anything as a Spur, it's gravy.
    I think the greatest value could be Jax's expiring contract. That might be able to be turned into a good big. The FO is basically in the same position they were with RJ in '10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other side of the conversation

(note: this guy has a point. overall the Warriors have improved a lot)

It sounds oddly similar to what we're saying
    They just don't understand the mental aspect of the two situations. RJ was sucking the life out of the Spurs and Jack probably would suck the life out of any team that wasn't the Spurs. For immediate purposes...its a good move for both teams. Warriors fans will face a bit of sobering reality around the middle of next season when they realize that RJ is going to pick up his option and they will have to deal with another whole season of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mike Brown was the guy that kept Pop and SJ from killing each other. I wonder who will fill that role now.
    He might be available by the end of the regular season.

Till the wheels fall off. iManu's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How the did we get this deal?

Till the wheels fall off. iManu's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, sorry. I never swear, I'm just amazed!!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mmmh, I have a bad feeling about this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the trade, as a Spurs fan, but strictly from a basketball perspective, Golden State easily got the better deal..

As I mentioned before, the Warriors would be happy to contend for a playoff spot in the west. The Spurs won't be happy without ring number five. From a basketball perspective, this is great for both situations.

Thread Information