From The Daily Six Shooter at PlaymakerOnline.com

I loved ESPN’s 30 for 30. Every do entary’s premiere was appointment viewing for me. If I didn’t get to see it on television, I downloaded it on iTunes and often did both. Among my favorites was “Pony Excess,” the story of the SMU football program that led to the school’s football team receiving the “death penalty,” which killed the program in a way that no one expected. The school still hasn’t recovered. It was the only do entary that I watched with my parents because they were recent graduates of the University of Texas and were hard core college football fans when everything with the Mustangs went down. They provided insight into what it was like watching those teams play from a fan perspective.

With Yahoo Sports breaking the story of Miami Hurricanes players taking thousands of dollars in benefits from a booster, there is talk of the program’s actions being so bad that they should receive the death penalty.

After watching and reading so much about what SMU did to get the death penalty and comparing it to the mess the Miami Hurricanes find themselves in, I have to disagree.

When SMU received the death penalty, it was the result of the money being so tied in to the school that university officials were coordinating meetings with boosters to organize who would get paid and how much they would receive. It’s in the le of David Whitford’s brilliant book about the scandal. The team had “A Payroll to Meet.” The Mustangs were given the death penalty after years of consecutive investigations and other sanctions. As far as the investigations into Miami have gone so far, the administration and even coaching staff were not involved. This was about one booster going way too far and a few players over the years taking advantage of his money.

While there is no line established by the NCAA that says, “Beyond this point, you will receive the death penalty,” Miami hasn’t come close to SMU’s violations. While they deserve to lose scholarships, be banned from bowl games and, at the very least, have some wins rescinded, the death penalty is going too far this time around.

But if things don’t get fixed in Miami, you can bet that they’re well on their way to death penalty consideration.

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Hit them with sanctions and probation for at least five years...
    - Everyone involved fired/released, no matter how high up
    - No TV money for 3-5 years
    - No Bowls for 3-5 years
    - Limit scholarships for 5 years
    - Probation for 10 years after

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Between this and North Carolina, Butch Davis should be ineligible to coach for the next 3-5 years, and any team that signs him once he becomes eligible accepts being on probation for his first 2 years there as coach.

Severely penalizing the coaches themselves as oppose to schools is the only way the NCAA will ever be able to deal with this.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Davis was gone at Miami before this happened. Some of the players he recruited/coached early on may have been involved, but Davis was gone in like 1999, as I recall. Coker took over from there.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Butch Davis' last season at Miami was 2000. That incredibly stacked 2001 team with several key players on Shapiro's list was made up entirely of Butch Davis recruits.

multiple major recruiting violations at two different schools should be a severe penalty for Davis

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    True. I found it real convenient that so many players from the early-decade success were indicted, but the years of the improper benefits were after the success (so as to keep the National le).

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    At this point I'd almost say give Butch Davis a lifetime coaching ban and use him to send the message.

The problem is, as said by someone on ESPN earlier, the reward FAR outweighs the risk for these coaches.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I think they go easy on miami. The NCAA Is beginning to realize they ed up by bringing down the pain on USC. They can't start killing brand name programs like ohio and miami so they're gonna close pandoras box and just start doing lesser punishments.

NT? more like SO i said
    My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count

My Team
    Maryland Terrapins
    Post Count
    Let 'em off the hook, for old time sake

Thread Information