Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uncle & his camp are to blame, like some have said for months -- but it's likely unrepairable.

Still small hope. Very small.
    Lol hope for what. Bye

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1, Get a life,
    2, Why Boston or Philly will offer a far better package for a one-year rental of Kawhi?
    3, you make no sense
    He loses $35M by forcing the trade. If he walks from where we trade him, he leaves another $40M on the table. Are you sure he's a rental?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He loses $35M by forcing the trade. If he walks from where we trade him, he leaves another $40M on the table. Are you sure he's a rental?
    So he loses 35 mil by losing the supermax. How does he end up losing 40 mil if he walks away from his new team?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to work with him

1. Good PR for future potential players
    2. Kawhi not likely to extend with a team will affect what they want to give up

theres more to gain by being a comodating... but if they really want to stick it to him, just don’t trade him at all and let him lose a crap load of money

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So he loses 35 mil by losing the supermax. How does he end up losing 40 mil if he walks away from his new team?
    A team that trades for him can sign him to a max extension which is more than he can get as a free agent. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are, but having his rights means a pretty big difference in the contract he can sign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't have connections with the Spurs directly.

I do know people that do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bolting a Bird contract situation gets you one less year, and lower raises. It shakes out to 5yrs/179M or 4yrs/139M, in Kawhi's case. Both players and agents, and I would imagine uncles, love that guaranteed money.

Looking at that continually burning dumpster fire in LA, it will be interesting to see if PG13 takes a pass. I think he will, because OKC can pay more and is a better team. No one on the Lakers roster will be Westbrook at any time in their career. Their's just not enough upside there. They tanked, but then traded their one good pick, plus Russell, to get out of some of Jim Buss's terrible contracts. They're just good enough to not have a shot at one of those top 3 picks, but don't have the assets or talent to really improve into a top team. If hometown guy PG13 passes, and LeBron goes elsewhere, they may have no choice but to go back into the tank.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi on the 5 years/179m deal would get 35.8 mil per year and on the 4 years/139M deal he gets 34.75 mil per year. There's little difference in the amount he makes per year under either deal. The only difference is 1 contract is a year longer than the other. Knowing his Uncle he probably believes the differences doesn't mean anything when you factor in endorsements in a big market. He probably is also willing to bet Kawhi will be healthy after 4 years to sign another big contract.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bolting a Bird contract situation gets you one less year, and lower raises. It shakes out to 5yrs/179M or 4yrs/139M, in Kawhi's case. Both players and agents, and I would imagine uncles, love that guaranteed money.

Looking at that continually burning dumpster fire in LA, it will be interesting to see if PG13 takes a pass. I think he will, because OKC can pay more and is a better team. No one on the Lakers roster will be Westbrook at any time in their career. Their's just not enough upside there. They tanked, but then traded their one good pick, plus Russell, to get out of some of Jim Buss's terrible contracts. They're just good enough to not have a shot at one of those top 3 picks, but don't have the assets or talent to really improve into a top team. If hometown guy PG13 passes, and LeBron goes elsewhere, they may have no choice but to go back into the tank.
    I don't think PG will pass on playing with them. As talented as Russ is guys just hate playing with him since he's a ball hog. Also PG doesn't strike me as a winner so he would be more than happy to be in LA even if they are not a talented team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi on the 5 years/179m deal would get 35.8 mil per year and on the 4 years/139M deal he gets 34.75 mil per year. There's little difference in the amount he makes per year under either deal. The only difference is 1 contract is a year longer than the other. Knowing his Uncle he probably believes the differences doesn't mean anything when you factor in endorsements in a big market. He probably is also willing to bet Kawhi will be healthy after 4 years to sign another big contract.
    If the uncle is all about money, then he'd be foolish to gamble the year 5 money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the uncle is all about money, then he'd be foolish to gamble the year 5 money.
    The Uncle is deranged and crazy and believes the endorsement money Kawhi would receive in a big market would make up for not having year 5 on the contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Uncle is deranged and crazy and believes the endorsement money Kawhi would receive in a big market would make up for not having year 5 on the contract.
    Ah...I get what you said the first time. My bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You always lock in as much guaranteed money as you can, because you never can see what's coming. , it doesn't even have to be his quad. He could leave the team we trade him to, blow out his knee, and never be a premier player again. That's where the $40M becomes a total loss. There's a reason that the NBA keeps shortening contracts with each successive CBA. It used to be 7 years with your team or 6 with another. That's down to 5 and 4 to minimize team exposure to injuries or aging. Players are feeling more and more squeezed into taking the MAX guaranteed money to minimize THEIR risk.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You always lock in as much guaranteed money as you can, because you never can see what's coming. , it doesn't even have to be his quad. He could leave the team we trade him to, blow out his knee, and never be a premier player again. That's where the $40M becomes a total loss. There's a reason that the NBA keeps shortening contracts with each successive CBA. It used to be 7 years with your team or 6 with another. That's down to 5 and 4 to minimize team exposure to injuries or aging. Players are feeling more and more squeezed into taking the MAX guaranteed money to minimize THEIR risk.
    I agree with you and that's what I would be doing if I was in Kawhi's situation and that's what any rational person would do but we have to factor in his Uncle is irrational. His Uncle is the one who is pulling all the strings here and not Kawhi.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A team that trades for him can sign him to a max extension which is more than he can get as a free agent. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are, but having his rights means a pretty big difference in the contract he can sign.
    The difference is the contract can be one year longer with Bird Rights and with 8% annual raises instead of 4.5% (not compounded, raises computed as 8%/4.5% of first year's salary).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with you and that's what I would be doing if I was in Kawhi's situation and that's what any rational person would do but we have to factor in his Uncle is irrational. His Uncle is the one who is pulling all the strings here and not Kawhi.
    I don't see the indication that the uncle is irrational myself. It's not like we are talking about trading him to Sacramento. We are talking about pretty big markets or high profile gigs. On top of that, he can always get a players option to opt out before year five if kawhi is healthy or opt in if he has more health problems.
    I don't think there's much danger of him leaving the team we trade him to if it's one of the teams we keep bringing up in here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see the indication that the uncle is irrational myself. It's not like we are talking about trading him to Sacramento. We are talking about pretty big markets or high profile gigs. On top of that, he can always get a players option to opt out before year five if kawhi is healthy or opt in if he has more health problems.
    I don't think there's much danger of him leaving the team we trade him to if it's one of the teams we keep bringing up in here.
    That's kind of where I am, too. The Spurs have a history of giving their players relatively soft landings. That doesn't mean the Lakers, but I think any trades to PHO are a pipe dream.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's very irrational. Let's see what he has done so far he has had an NFL agent who has no experience in the NBA and is in serious debt represent Kawhi. He has had Kawhi sit out a whole entire year with bs injury that he has always played with in hopes of getting him traded when he could have gone the Kyrie route and asked for a trade last summer. He also believes playing in SA is the reason why Kawhi hasn't gotten big endorsements when in reality it's because Kawhi has zero personality. This is equivalent to a fat guy who weights 400 pounds blaming other reasons besides his weight for why he can't get attractive women. He's also limited Kawhi's contact with the Spurs during this whole entire ordeal which again goes back to what I said earlier that if you want Kawhi out of SA then ask for a trade instead of pulling these charades.

Anyways I do agree with the rest of what are you saying.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's very irrational. Let's see what he has done so far he has had an NFL agent who has no experience in the NBA and is in serious debt represent Kawhi. He has had Kawhi sit out a whole entire year with bs injury that he has always played with in hopes of getting him traded when he could have gone the Kyrie route and asked for a trade last summer. He also believes playing in SA is the reason why Kawhi hasn't gotten big endorsements when in reality it's because Kawhi has zero personality. This is equivalent to a fat guy who weights 400 pounds blaming other reasons besides his weight for why he can't get attractive women. He's also limited Kawhi's contact with the Spurs during this whole entire ordeal which again goes back to what I said earlier that if you want Kawhi out of SA then ask for a trade instead of pulling these charades.

Anyways I do agree with the rest of what are you saying.
    That looks like alot of supposition on your part regarding his motives. I don't see the evidence to support those conclusions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The difference is the contract can be one year longer with Bird Rights and with 8% annual raises instead of 4.5% (not compounded, raises computed as 8%/4.5% of first year's salary).
    Good point about raises. Another reason why signing in free agency a year from now is bad business for the Leonards. If he wants to move on, his best play is to get traded before Feb. 2019.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The uncle is rational in the sense that he is looking out for what will make HIM and his business venture the most money, not necessarily Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is that no one place is going to make Kawhi more money than he would have made in San Antonio had they just not ed that up. That 70 million more is not something you can make up in endorsements unless you're Lebron James. Kawhi's problem isn't not being in a major market, its that he has the personality of a ing snail. Tim Duncan didn't get the endorsements befiting his stature as a player either, but that was a choice he made because he didn't want to play that game.

Kawhi on the other hand, wants to be Tim Duncan but get the fame and money that players like Durant, Pau, and Lebron have. Well they play the celebrity game and Kawhi does not. Thats the difference, not San Antonio.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is that no one place is going to make Kawhi more money than he would have made in San Antonio had they just not ed that up. That 70 million more is not something you can make up in endorsements unless you're Lebron James. Kawhi's problem isn't not being in a major market, its that he has the personality of a ing snail. Tim Duncan didn't get the endorsements befiting his stature as a player either, but that was a choice he made because he didn't want to play that game.

Kawhi on the other hand, wants to be Tim Duncan but get the fame and money that players like Durant, Pau, and Lebron have. Well they play the celebrity game and Kawhi does not. Thats the difference, not San Antonio.
    Early in his career Duncan got Sprite/Nike commercials and I remember he even got on the cover of NBA Live 2000 back when Live was more popular than 2K. Duncan even got a great shoe deal from Addidas during the early '00s that caused him to leave Nike. I agree Duncan chose after those experiences not to pursue the lime light.I read an article a few years ago which stated that Duncan and Dirk could have had more endorsements but they both passed on it simply because they didn't want to be a celebrity. Kawhi on the other hand outside of this year has never had any national commercials and that has to do with him having the personality of a statue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those that want to know:

If Kawhi signs the SuperMax, it’s roughly 219M. Only San Antonio can offer that to him. No one else. He is eligible this upcoming season for the SuperMax. He can also earn it again by qualifying if he stays with SA this next season but does not sign the SuperMax this next season (that is a very unlikely scenario for many reasons.

If Kawhi does not get offered the SuperMax, SA can still sign him to a non-SuperMax max extension of roughly 180M. Kawhi can also get that extension from another team IF he is traded. But only if he is traded.

If Kawhi hits true free agency, he can sign roughly a 140M contract with that new team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks a lot. That shows us the money differences.

One question, though, what are the lengths of those contracts. Are they all 5 year contracts, even the extensions? If not, what does the money turn out to be if you were to make them all 5 year contracts?

Thread Information