Page 57 of 210 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 5243
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dance, who's dancing. Here's a little number for you. Some more "consensus".

'I Recant' Says Author of Infamous Seventies Newsweek 'Global Cooling' Article

The author of a much-quoted 1975 Newsweek article predicting catastrophic global cooling now says it was a big mistake and the earth was warming all along. (H/T Climate Depot)

Peter Gwynne, began his piece by declaring portentously:

"There are ominous signs that the earth's weather patterns have begun to change dramatically and that these changes may portend a drastic decline in food production - with serious political implications for just about every nation on earth."

And this wasn't just a minority opinion, he went on to stress:

"Meteorologists disagree about the cause and extent of the cooling trend, as well as over its specific impact on local weather conditions. But they are almost unanimous in their view that the trend will reduce agricultural productivity for the rest of the century. If the climatic change is as profound as some of the pessimists fear, the resulting famines could be catastrophic."

But now Gwynne has decided that this certainty was misplaced:

"While the hypotheses described in that original story seemed right at the time, climate scientists now know that they were seriously incomplete. Our climate is warming -- not cooling, as the original story suggested,"

Gwynne is apparently sick and tired of having the article rubbed in his face by "websites and individuals that dispute, disparage and deny the science that shows that humans are causing the Earth to warm." Especially painful for him - it seems - was the occasion when his piece was triumphantly brandished by comedian (and notorious skeptic) Dennis Miller on the Tonight Show in 2006.

Luckily, Gwynne is in no danger of being made to look a fool twice. He has now chosen to place his faith in the expertise of perhaps the most widely respected, uncontroversial figures in the entire field of climate science - a man he quotes approvingly throughout his recantation.

"There's no serious dispute any more about whether the globe is warming, whether humans are responsible, and whether we will see large and dangerous changes in the future – in the words of the National Academy of Sciences – which we didn't know in the 1970s," said Michael Mann, a climatologist at Pennsylvania State University in University Park. He added that nearly every U.S. scientific society has assessed the evidence and come to the same conclusion.

Gwynne concludes by sounding a warning note on the dangers of science writers failing to ask the right questions and reporting over-enthusiastically on the latest scare story.

"If I had applied those lessons back in 1975, I might not now be in the embarrassing position of being a cat's paw for denial of climate change," he says ruefully.

Indeed. But at least Gwynne has learned his lesson. Now that he believes in global warming - as all the experts do - no one is ever going to take him again for a gullible idiot who has failed to perform his due diligence on one of the most important scientific issues of the day.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-L...ooling-article

You just gotta love it. Guess he wasn't getting any research money.
    I'm confused was this guy a scientist? Did he fake evidence?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of "slimy", Bill Nye couldn't even demonstrate AGW in a lab, so he photoshopped his thermometer at 1:10.

Well , now I completely convinced all data and models are wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The scandal of fiddled global warming data
    The US has actually been cooling since the Thirties, the hottest decade on record

Goddard shows how, in recent years, NOAA’s US Historical Climatology Network (USHCN) has been “adjusting” its record by replacing real temperatures with data “fabricated” by computer models. The effect of this has been to downgrade earlier temperatures and to exaggerate those from recent decades, to give the impression that the Earth has been warming up much more than is justified by the actual data. In several posts headed “Data tampering at USHCN/GISS”, Goddard compares the currently published temperature graphs with those based only on temperatures measured at the time. These show that the US has actually been cooling since the Thirties, the hottest decade on record; whereas the latest graph, nearly half of it based on “fabricated” data, shows it to have been warming at a rate equivalent to more than 3 degrees centigrade per century.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...ming-data.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    telegraph is no more believable than any right wing or Murdock rag, etc, etc.

Even a Repug Wall Streeter 0.01% bag admits AGW is true and leading to a catastrophe.

The Coming Climate Crash

This is a crisis we can’t afford to ignore. I feel as if I’m watching as we fly in slow motion on a collision course toward a giant mountain. We can see the crash coming, and yet we’re sitting on our hands rather than altering course.

We need to act now, even though there is much disagreement, including from members of my own Republican Party, on how to address this issue while remaining economically compe ive. They’re right to consider the economic implications. But we must not lose sight of the profound economic risks of doing nothing.

The solution can be a fundamentally conservative one that will empower the marketplace to find the most efficient response. We can do this by putting a price on emissions of carbon dioxide — a carbon tax. Few in the United States now pay to emit this potent greenhouse gas into the atmosphere we all share. Putting a price on emissions will create incentives to develop new, cleaner energy technologies.

I’m a businessman, not a climatologist. But I’ve spent a considerable amount of time with climate scientists and economists who have devoted their careers to this issue. There is virtually no debate among them that the planet is warming and that the burning of fossil fuels is largely responsible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/22/op...sion.html?_r=0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The scandal of fiddled global warming data
    The US has actually been cooling since the Thirties, the hottest decade on record

Goddard shows how, in recent years, NOAA’s US Historical Climatology Network (USHCN) has been “adjusting” its record by replacing real temperatures with data “fabricated” by computer models. The effect of this has been to downgrade earlier temperatures and to exaggerate those from recent decades, to give the impression that the Earth has been warming up much more than is justified by the actual data. In several posts headed “Data tampering at USHCN/GISS”, Goddard compares the currently published temperature graphs with those based only on temperatures measured at the time. These show that the US has actually been cooling since the Thirties, the hottest decade on record; whereas the latest graph, nearly half of it based on “fabricated” data, shows it to have been warming at a rate equivalent to more than 3 degrees centigrade per century.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...ming-data.html
    Unscientific nut who's been descredited time and time again says that scientists are lying. People like you believe him even when evidence that is open for all to see says otherwise. This is worse than simple conformation bias, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyway, go to link for those who think this is some kind of NASA/NOAA conspiracy:

http://berkeleyearth.org/summary-of-findings

Furthermore, it was recently released that May 2014 was the hottest may globally on record. Every month that comes out like this (June has so far been extremely warm as well) really pushes us toward the hottest year on record. But sure, its cooling.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its sad because you'd rather try to play a slimy middle ground where when the IPCC turns out to be absolutely correct 30 years from now you'll claim you supported them all along and you can't believe people didn't do anything. History is going to look down upon so many people and their idiotic positions.
    What do you think should be done now to stop the projected warming of the next 30 years from occurring?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you think should be done now to stop the projected warming of the next 30 years from occurring?
    Carbon tax.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    carbon tax to include carbon tax on transport fuel

Also renewal, expansion of the wind production tax credit.

Lots of stuff available, but BigCarbon and electric utilities will buy enough legislators, esp Repugs, to block nearly all of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's virtually nothing that can be done to prevent the warming in the next 30 years from occurring but there's a lot that can be done to prevent warming in the future from occurring in the next 30 years.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    There's virtually nothing that can be done to prevent the warming in the next 30 years from occurring but there's a lot that can be done to prevent warming in the future from occurring in the next 30 years.
    Well, we can stop the soot emissions that are melting the arctic ice, and we can reestablish a proper network of climate stations.

Get rid of FILNET data corruption.

ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ush...e-etal2009.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Antarctica sets new record for sea ice area

NOAA’s temperature control knob for the past, the present, and maybe the future – July 1936 now hottest month again →
    Posted on June 29, 2014 by Anthony Watts

by Harold Ambler

The sea ice surrounding Antarctica, which, as I reported in my book, has been steadily increasing throughout the period of satellite measurement that began in 1979, has hit a new all-time record high for areal coverage.

The new record anomaly for Southern Hemisphere sea ice, the ice encircling the southernmost continent, is 2.074 million square kilometers and was posted for the first time by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s The Cryosphere Today early Sunday morning.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/06/2...-sea-ice-area/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    EDITORIAL: Rigged ‘science’
    The Supreme Court swallows faked global warming data

A fractured Supreme Court on Monday largely upheld the Environmental Protection Agency’s radical rule designed to shut down the power plants that produce the most affordable electricity. The justices continue to accept the EPA’s labeling of carbon dioxide as a “pollutant.” This harmless gas, the agency insists, is melting the planet.

Only the brave deny man’s responsibility for super-heating the globe in precincts where the wise and wonderful (just ask them) gather to reassure each other than they know best. “We know the trends,” President Obama told the graduates at the University of California at Irvine the other day. “The 18 warmest years on record have all happened since you graduates were born.”

SEE ALSO: Obama mocks climate change skeptics as paranoid about ‘liberal plot’

The charts and graphs devised by NASA and the government’s other science agencies back up the president’s words. And well they should, because the charts, like the “science,” were faked.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...igged-science/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    washingtontimes.com

"Rev." moonbat comics

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another gift from TX to America, San Antonio's own old, white, inherited-wealth, (Christian "Scientist"?) Alamo Heights Lamar Smith

How One GOP-Controlled Committee Is Waging a War on Science

At a March 26 hearing of the U.S. House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology, Republican congressmen took turns attacking President Obama's top science advisor, John Holdren. On climate change, their statements became increasingly heated, accusatory, and bizarre.

Southern California conservative Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.) challenged Holdren on the fact that about 97 percent of the world's practicing climate scientists agree that human activity is responsible for climate change. "Why can't anybody admit that you've got a group of people putting out a bogus figure here?" he charged.

Rep. Bill Posey (R-Fla.) noted that the earth had warmed in between ice ages, without any people around. So how could humans be blamed for the current warming?

"Just because we're alive now," he reasoned, "the tectonic plate shifts aren't gonna stop, the hurricanes [and] tsunamis aren't gonna stop, the asteroid strikes aren't gonna stop."

Finally, Rep. Randy Weber (R-Texas), an air-conditioning company founder from Pearland, Texas, noted to Holdren, a climate scientist and MacArthur "Genius Grant" recipient, that "I may want to get your cell phone, because if we go through cycles of global warming and then back to global cooling, I need to know when to buy my long coat on sale."

Soon after, a Scientific American headline concluded that the committee was becoming "a national embarrassment."

Since Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas) took over as chairman of the House Science Committee in the beginning of 2013, the GOP majority has been waging a war. Its enemies list is long: The Environmental Protection Agency. The National Science Foundation. Rules that prevent industries from polluting the air and groundwater. Climate scientists studying the effects of a warming planet.

The very notion of non-politicized, peer-reviewed scientific inquiry.

For years, the House Science Committee was a quiet congressional backwater. Typically, its most contentious battles were over the future of American space exploration.

Smith has changed that. The traditionally collegial committee has been pursuing a more aggressive and party-driven agenda –- one that's closely aligned with the GOP’s relentless promotion of the fossil-fuel industry. Though critics say Smith's campaign has been scattershot and at least somewhat dysfunctional, they're alarmed about what could result from the various bills he's pushed over the last 18 months.

Stocked with corporate-trained lobbyists in key staff positions, the committee's majority has repeatedly attacked the EPA from several different vantage points. The committee participated in the congressional GOP's efforts to block or limit virtually all regulations on coal, oil and natural gas facilities – including a reinvigorated effort to delegitimize and ultimately scrap the most important existing such laws like the Clean Air Act by tarnishing seminal studies conducted by researchers with Harvard University and the American Cancer Society. After encountering resistance to that effort, committee Republicans went much further by pushing a bill that would disallow the EPA from using any confidential data or information – a measure seemingly designed to completely disrupt its ability to protect the public.

The GOP majority likewise has taken the lead in efforts to place tight reins on the National Science Foundation by attempting to exert political control over federally funded scientific research, an effort that has science advocates up in arms.

Through the "EPA Science Advisory Board Reform Act," the committee's majority is trying to alter the way the EPA selects and uses its internal Science Advisory Boards, which are meant to provide independent review of the science conducted by the agency. One of the bill's main consequences, a committee Democrat concluded, would be to ensure "an overrepresentation of industry voices" on the panels.

http://www.alternet.org/tea-party-an...age=1#bookmark

Thanks, TX Repugs! All y'all rednecks and your politicians suck hind on boar hog.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NOAA Reinstates July 1936 As The Hottest Month On Record

http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/30/no...#ixzz36BC86pdd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    EDITORIAL: Rigged ‘science’
    The Supreme Court swallows faked global warming data

A fractured Supreme Court on Monday largely upheld the Environmental Protection Agency’s radical rule designed to shut down the power plants that produce the most affordable electricity. The justices continue to accept the EPA’s labeling of carbon dioxide as a “pollutant.” This harmless gas, the agency insists, is melting the planet.

Only the brave deny man’s responsibility for super-heating the globe in precincts where the wise and wonderful (just ask them) gather to reassure each other than they know best. “We know the trends,” President Obama told the graduates at the University of California at Irvine the other day. “The 18 warmest years on record have all happened since you graduates were born.”

SEE ALSO: Obama mocks climate change skeptics as paranoid about ‘liberal plot’

The charts and graphs devised by NASA and the government’s other science agencies back up the president’s words. And well they should, because the charts, like the “science,” were faked.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...igged-science/
    You aren't helping your case with snarky op-eds.

Snarky op-eds are exactly the kinds of things pseudoscientists do about things they don't like.

You are making the case of the OP for me.

Was that what you were trying to do?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NOAA Reinstates July 1936 As The Hottest Month On Record

http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/30/no...#ixzz36BC86pdd
    When asked about climate data adjustments by the DCNF back in April, NOAA send there have been “several scientific developments since 1989 and 1999 that have improved the understanding of the U.S. surface temperature record.”

“Many station observations that were confined to paper, especially from early in the 20th century, have been scanned and keyed and are now digitally available to inform these time series,” Deke Arndt, chief of NOAA’s Climate Monitoring Branch, told TheDCNF.

“In addition to the much larger number of stations available, the U.S. temperature time series is now informed by an improved suite of quality assurance algorithms than it was in the late 20th Century,” Deke said in an emailed statement.
    Real science self-corrects when given the chance to add and improve data. This is what one would expect from an organization that was attempting to become as accurate as possible.

The reaction of the people that I am claiming to be pseudoscientists is pretty much in line with what one would expect from someone who does not hew to scientific rigors or think that scientific processes are somehow rigged by a conspiracy to produce results that contradict his pre-existing beliefs.

“This constant change from year to year of what is or is not the hottest month on record for the USA is not only unprofessional and embarrassing for NOAA, it’s bull of the highest order,” Watts [i.e. watts up with that-RG] wrote. “It can easily be solved by NOAA stopping the unsupportable practice of adjusting temperatures of the past so that the present looks different in context with the adjusted past and stop making data for weather stations that have long since closed.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

NOAA’s temperature control knob for the past, the present, and maybe the future – July 1936 now hottest month again →
    Posted on June 29, 2014 by Anthony Watts

by Harold Ambler

The sea ice surrounding Antarctica, which, as I reported in my book, has been steadily increasing throughout the period of satellite measurement that began in 1979, has hit a new all-time record high for areal coverage.

The new record anomaly for Southern Hemisphere sea ice, the ice encircling the southernmost continent, is 2.074 million square kilometers and was posted for the first time by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s The Cryosphere Today early Sunday morning.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/06/2...-sea-ice-area/
    Pseudoscientists cherry pick data that suits them, and ignore wider contexts.

This is the kind of thing that 9-11 twoofers have to do in order to maintain their inaccurate worldviews. Find the ONE bit of data to cling to, ignore anything else that contradicts it, and claim that anyone who puts forth data that contradicts this world view is part of the conspiracy.

Missing bits of context:
    What about the land ice?
    What is happening at the other pole?
    How thick is the sea ice? (volume has three dimensions, length, width and depth, so it is possible for something to be longer and wider, but still have less volume).

http://www.skepticalscience.com/arct...ic-sea-ice.htm

The Polar Prognosis
    As thinner and younger ice is easier to melt, the rapid Arctic melt is set to continue; ice-free summers are now probably inevitable. In contrast, the Antarctic increase is occurring despite the warming of the Southern Ocean and is expected to reverse as the warming continues. Antarctic sea ice is just a distraction from the accelerating losses from ice sheets and the looming specter of a sea-ice-free Arctic.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Real science self-corrects when given the chance to add and improve data. This is what one would expect from an organization that was attempting to become as accurate as possible.
    How do you improve data? We have a given temperature set, say from 1940. How do you improve it in 2014? By altering it to read what you want it to read?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you improve data? We have a given temperature set, say from 1940. How do you improve it in 2014? By altering it to read what you want it to read?
    One of the major tenants of science is reproducibility.

You can increase the sample rate, increase sample locations, improve the detection equipment precision and accuracy, you can filter the datasets using various means. There are simple database structure changes that can improve efficiency and the like on the IT end.

the list goes on. That you have to ask this question just speaks to how profoundly ignorant you are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pseudoscientists cherry pick data that suits them, and ignore wider contexts.

This is the kind of thing that 9-11 twoofers have to do in order to maintain their inaccurate worldviews. Find the ONE bit of data to cling to, ignore anything else that contradicts it, and claim that anyone who puts forth data that contradicts this world view is part of the conspiracy.

Missing bits of context:
    What about the land ice?
    What is happening at the other pole?
    How thick is the sea ice? (volume has three dimensions, length, width and depth, so it is possible for something to be longer and wider, but still have less volume).

http://www.skepticalscience.com/arct...ic-sea-ice.htm
    Your critical thinking hit the spot. From what I understand the Antarctic is swampy for lack of a better term with much of the inland being below sea level. It used to be a heap on top as millennia of precipitation was trapped there but warmer ocean water is undermining it and it is melting causing it to spread.

That there is more ice on the sea rather is not good. it means that it has migrated from land and ice does raise sea level when it does that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the major tenants of science is reproducibility.

You can increase the sample rate, increase sample locations, improve the detection equipment precision and accuracy, you can filter the datasets using various means. There are simple database structure changes that can improve efficiency and the like on the IT end.

the list goes on. That you have to ask this question just speaks to how profoundly ignorant you are.
    Or you can just fake them like they have and make them support your theory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can improve data, if you either add to an existing database, or become aware, after the fact, that there is some in-built distortion.

Do you have any shred of evidence that, in this case, the modifications were deliberately to produce some desired outcome?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or you can just fake them like they have and make them support your theory.
    Same question. Provide some proof of motive for this conspiracy.

I noted that you didn't seem too plussed that the watts article essentially cherry-picked the data he wanted.

Do you think that ignoring most of the evidence in favor of just the small part of it that seems to support your theory is honest?

Thread Information