Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A crash course in social democracy.

Some years ago, I faced up to the futility of reporting truths about America’s disastrous wars, and so I left Afghanistan for another mountainous country far away. It was the polar opposite of Afghanistan: a peaceful, prosperous land where nearly everybody seemed to enjoy a good life, on the job and in the family.

It’s true that they didn’t work much–not by American standards, anyway. In the United States, full-time salaried workers supposedly laboring 40 hours a week actually average 49, with almost 20 percent clocking more than 60. These people, on the other hand, worked only about 37 hours a week, when they weren’t away on long paid vacations. At the end of the workday, about four in the afternoon (perhaps three during the summer), they had time to enjoy a hike in the forest, a swim with the kids, or a beer with friends—which helps explain why, unlike so many Americans, they are pleased with their jobs.

Often I was invited to go along. I found it refreshing to hike and ski in a country with no land mines, and to hang out in cafés unlikely to be bombed. Gradually, my war-zone jitters subsided and I settled into the slow, calm, pleasantly uneventful stream of life there.

Four years on, thinking I should settle down, I returned to the United States. It felt quite a lot like stepping back into that other violent, impoverished world, where anxiety runs high and people are quarrelsome. I had, in fact, come back to the flip side of Afghanistan and Iraq: to what America’s wars have done to America. Where I live now, in the homeland, there are not enough shelters for the homeless. Most people are either overworked or hurting for jobs; the housing is overpriced, the hospitals crowded and understaffed, the schools largely segregated and not so good. Opioid or heroin overdose is a popular form of death, and men in the street threaten women wearing hijabs. Did the American soldiers I covered in Afghanistan know they were fighting for this?

https://www.thenation.com/article/af...ard-heres-why/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *yawn*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think you meant *chirp*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The oligarchy has LIED for decades to Americans how America is "exceptionally" the best country, actually the country preferred by God.

Other industrial countries are run so much better for everybody, better transportation systems, just more systematic, better, much cheaper health/education systems, better thought out, much more personal security and convenience.

By comparison, America is the backward Wild West, every MachoMan Rugged Individual for himself, and (even better, shoot) everybody else, while the oligarchy fleeces everybody, loots the country into prolonged tiness for the lower 80%
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 01-15-2018 at 06:14 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I spent some time in Norway awhile back. 2 trips when I was touring and a 3rd trip and 2 month stay to help establish a studio for a friend of mine there.
    Norway has alot of positive aspects..education, healthcare, wages, more emphasis on work/life balance.
    On the otherhand, its a expensive to live there. Real Estate is out of sight. Dining out is very expensive as well. Most of the activities we are accustomed to are just flat expensive. Taxes are pretty stiff as well. My buddy was around 30% and he was not particularly well off. The Norse are a little insular and pretty nationalistic as well. Takes awhile to establish relationships. Also, forget about working there unless you speak the language.
    The studio I helped set up went through a thorough permitting and inspection process. Not unfair, but you better have your in order before you begin.
    I have no Idea how Hans and Ans scraped up enough cash to buy the property.

The comparisons between Norway and the US make me giggle. Norway can pull alot of things off because of scale. DFW has a larger population than all of Norway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I spent some time in Norway awhile back. 2 trips when I was touring and a 3rd trip and 2 month stay to help establish a studio for a friend of mine there.
    Norway has alot of positive aspects..education, healthcare, wages, more emphasis on work/life balance.
    On the otherhand, its a expensive to live there. Real Estate is out of sight. Dining out is very expensive as well. Most of the activities we are accustomed to are just flat expensive. Taxes are pretty stiff as well. My buddy was around 30% and he was not particularly well off. The Norse are a little insular and pretty nationalistic as well. Takes awhile to establish relationships. Also, forget about working there unless you speak the language.
    The studio I helped set up went through a thorough permitting and inspection process. Not unfair, but you better have your in order before you begin.

The comparisons between Norway and the US make me giggle. Norway can pull alot of things off because of scale. DFW has a larger population than all of Norway.
    Good post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i thought it was ok

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s check back on Scandinavian countries after a decade or so of cultural enrichment from hole nations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s check back on Scandinavian countries after a decade or so of cultural enrichment from hole nations.
    their cons utions will probably by replaced by sharia and all of scandinavia will be a giant no-go zone by 2019 imo

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bergen is amazing.

Absolutely beautiful.
    But the stuff the fish mongers sell... Whale meat? F'N awful.
    Plus lots of pressure on the younger folks to keep the older folks comfy as well. (Taxes)
    saw a bunch of old folks with really expensive mountainside places overlooking the ocean, they were retired postal workers and such, kinda nuts...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Lillehammer was absolutely stunning.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isnt that where they have the really good skiing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Liberal outrage over this is just another example of rampant PC & arms are for hugging culture.

Live in Haiti. Then tell me it's not a hole with a straight face. It's a hole. And just like a lot of other truths that may hurt ppl, no amount of liberal hugging changes it. Haiti is better off knowing that country is a hole that needs to get its act together, rather than being told some blowjob liberal bull .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    their cons utions will probably by replaced by sharia and all of scandinavia will be a giant no-go zone by 2019 imo
    My Swedish ancestors settled in an area of Minneapolis that is now known as ‘Little Mogadishu’.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The held the winter olympics there, remember.

They are surrounded by ski areas. Kinda like Steamboat Springs/Arapaho Basin Colorado on speed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They are surrounded by ski areas. Kinda like Steamboat Springs/Arapaho Basin Colorado on speed.
    Damn.
    I love Crested Butte myself.
    Ok so I would love it most likely.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Norway GOVT, StatOil, used the oil revenue from the North Sea to help all the citizens. Pretty much the same is true NL used North Sea gas revenue for all of NL.

Private oil companies in USA use their profits only for themselves and their investors, unregulated capitalism being the best system for the wealthy few capitalists to screw the largest number of non-wealthy non-capitalists.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Indeed. +1

Understanding of proportional correlation throws this myth in the garbage. Norwegian are basically White Nationialists with ty accents.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought that show sucked

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Is that where Vonn broke her leg?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this sarcasm or some insider knowledge?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Is this sarcasm or some insider knowledge?
    you need help?

with this?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the regressive left, the US is a hole (when a Repub is in office)

Thread Information