Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    could be.

Why should that be an excuse to download a movie or song when they tell you not to?
    I'm not saying it's an excuse at all. Most people when given a choice between torrenting something like Louis CK's special, paying $5 to download, or paying $20 for a DVD, will pay $5 because it's a reasonable alternative.

On the other hand, if you have Netlflix and enjoy it, but movie studios that are still making money hand over fist decide to push new release dvds out two months for no reason, I fully understand why some would want to torrent/download it just to stick it to them.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I'm not saying it's an excuse at all. Most people when given a choice between torrenting something like Louis CK's special, paying $5 to download, or paying $20 for a DVD, will pay $5 because it's a reasonable alternative.
    k, not sure your point.

On the other hand, if you have Netlflix and enjoy it, but movie studios that are still making money hand over fist decide to push new release dvds out two months for no reason, I fully understand why some would want to torrent/download it just to stick it to them.
    Yeah, that's another reason I've seen mentioned before as to why someone would want to steal a movie from the studios.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Megaupload's loss is Mouseupload's gain.

There is always someone willing to take over the business.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    they have probably lost just as much or more money not adapting their antiquated business model.
    I agree. They haven't properly adapted to clever, loophole ways of stealing. But they're starting to make their move though and it looks like you'll soon have to adapt to the situation because what you're doing will antiquated. I'm surprised it took the so long to act. You self-en led asses should be thankful for that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I agree. They haven't properly adapted to clever, loophole ways of stealing. But they're starting to make their move though and it looks like you'll soon have to adapt to the situation because what you'll be doing is antiquated.
    you're an idiot. giving people reasonably priced legal avenues is what I was referring to, not trying to force overpriced physical media on people when they are clearly no longer interested.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How many files have you downloaded illegally/stole despite their being a legal route?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    How many files have you downloaded illegally/stole despite their being a legal route?
    how many songs/movies/shows have you ever taped/dubbed off of tv/radio? Ever made a mix cd?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    how many songs/movies/shows have you ever taped/dubbed off of tv/radio? Ever made a mix cd?
    No I have not. If I can't buy it I accept the fact that I can't and move on with my life. I don't cry about the fact that I can't add the 10,000 songs that I want to add on my IPod. It's not surprising that an athiest/moral/ethical weakling would break a law just to get something he wants.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What the music industry really needs to do in order to keep their business model alive is distribute albums exclusively on individual ear buds. This will make it impossible to copy and will guarantee that only one person can listen to the album at a time. Even better, if they could somehow incorporate technology that recognized the purchaser's ear drum print, they could eliminate the possibility of said purchaser allowing his friend to listen to the album.

Obviously this will cost a lot in development and production, as well as marketing, so they'd probably need to price each album at around $60. But that's the price we'll have to deal with to ensure that no one unfairly listens to music they didn't pay for.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    No I have not. If I can't buy it I accept the fact that I can't and move on with my life. I don't cry about the fact that I can't add the 10,000 songs that I want to add on my IPod. It's not surprising that an athiest/moral/ethical weakling would break a law just to get something he wants.
    it's weird that such an upstanding/Christian/morally superior being such as yourself would side with unethical gigantic media corporations who basically turned musicians into indentured servants for the better half of the previous century. maybe it's what turned you into such a shriveled turnip of a person.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I have never seen so many righteous people in one forum.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    you're an idiot. giving people reasonably priced legal avenues is what I was referring to, not trying to force overpriced physical media on people when they are clearly no longer interested.
    lol force

if they are no longer interested then why are they illegally downloading?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I know I've done some infringing over the years.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    It's not surprising that an athiest/moral/ethical weakling would break a law just to get something he wants.
    god, just shut the up.

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    i never really understood how the U.S. has jurisdiction all over the globe when it comes to the internets

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I have never seen so many righteous people in one forum.
    /political forum

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Also, using an image you do not own/have not licensed as an avatar on a forum is copyright infringement too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I know I've done some infringing over the years.
    the news reports of people at RIAA/MPAA/Congress/Senate rampantly torrenting and using sites like megaupload while at work are hilarious.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    I'm just wondering how much money you think it necessary for them to lose before they have a right to gripe.
    Oh they can all they want - if they think chasing Grannys with lawsuits is going to help their fight against piracy, well that's their choice. Piracy isn't going anywhere - it's been around for decades. To blame piracy for the demise of an industry that refuses to adapt to the times is hilarious. Believe me, piracy didn't stop every single Call of Duty game for the past 3 years becoming the biggest entertainment release of all time.

No doubt the industry shouldn't like bootleg shops selling pirated materials. But if they think attack the common person is the way to go, then they'll never evolve. Even though you've dubbed music/download a song or episode or two, can I assume you also buy media? What can the RIAA/MPAA possibly gain from treating someone like you as a criminal?

On a separate note...
    Just ing kill yourself and go to heaven already.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Stealing? LMAO! Since if there were no torrents/streaming available I would not have payed to watch a movie or whatever anyway, the copyright owner has no loss on my account. If he hasn't lost anything, how can he claim I stole something? And I'm sure I'm not the only person like that. Heck, sometimes I think it would be even better for me if it all got taken down since I might do a lot more productive things with my free time.

Name
    Luck_The_Fakers
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm just wondering how much money you think it necessary for them to lose before they have a right to gripe.
    When did they lose the right to gripe?

Frankly, they were just as much with the introduction of the VCR, and it turned out to make them a fortune. They just needed to adapt to grow even bigger.
    Last edited by ElNono; 01-20-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Just ing kill yourself and go to heaven already.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Stealing? LMAO! Since if there were no torrents/streaming available I would not have payed to watch a movie or whatever anyway, the copyright owner has no loss on my account. If he hasn't lost anything, how can he claim I stole something? And I'm sure I'm not the only person like that. Heck, sometimes I think it would be even better for me if it all got taken down since I might do a lot more productive things with my free time.
    Why should anyone take you at your word that you wouldn't have watched a movie any way?

The copyright owner said you can't watch the movie without permission.

You downloaded it anyway and watched it.

You stole it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    When did they lose the right to gripe?
    Legally they have the right, the public opinion appears to be that they have no right to gripe to Congress.....that they should adapt and police it themselves.

Seems to me you are one of the ones saying that it should remain a civil matter and that they need to adapt.

Frankly, they were just as much with the introduction of the VCR, and it turned out to make them a fortune. They just needed to adapt to grow even bigger.
    like I thought, it is you.

shocker.

Thread Information