Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can set records for lowest viewership in the USA, but then set records for most viewers worldwide.
    That's why you don't hear complaints from the NBA, just from ESPN.

I seem to remember a story soon after the 2007 Finals where ABC/ESPN extended their NBA contract for record money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing you have to remember is that most people in the world are stupid. That explains why ratings are down for the Spurs. True fans of basketball will just laugh at that and think, "WTF? Really? The Spurs are awesome to watch."

I don't want to make the argument that anyone who doesn't like the Spurs is stupid. That would be a fallacy. But I do argue that the lack of popularity for the Spurs is largely attributable to stupidity.

"thy dont dunk enuf durr!!11"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A large portion of fans for a championship series are very casual fans. It helps to have a gigantic metro area for those casual fans to bring up ratings and buy merchandise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ha.. i brought all this up a long time ago but all i was hearing was 'nyuk nyuk! GNSF nyuk!'

Ridding the world of Alien Scum...Relentlessly. Man In Black's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A large portion of fans for a championship series are very casual fans. It helps to have a gigantic metro area for those casual fans to bring up ratings and buy merchandise.
    For 2003 NJ/NY metro wasn't big enough?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The "boring" line has been parroted by media so much that it's become an axiom. The fact they spend so much (or so little) time arguing against it is amusing.

I remember how boring I thought the NBA was as a kid when the same teams were in the Finals every year. Consistency is boring. People want drama. Can we get Snooki to suit up?

Exactly. WTF else do people have to say about us? Nothing--Exactly!! The Spurs are... *ahem* well... The Spurs. We ain't got to prove to nobody. The Media needs to make money. Spurs have too much of a thing called "Class" and "Consistency"--where is the DRAMA, dammit!!??? No drama, No money for them! LMAO. ... Now GTFOutta' here, and go back to your Dwight Howard/Orlando media-whoring circus; F'ing pathetic clowns!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing you have to remember is that most people in the world are stupid. That explains why ratings are down for the Spurs. True fans of basketball will just laugh at that and think, "WTF? Really? The Spurs are awesome to watch."

I don't want to make the argument that anyone who doesn't like the Spurs is stupid. That would be a fallacy. But I do argue that the lack of popularity for the Spurs is largely attributable to stupidity.

"thy dont dunk enuf durr!!11"

Fine post, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For 2003 NJ/NY metro wasn't big enough?
    I know, right? I remember a TV thing where they had man-on-the-street inteviews and people didn't know the Nets were even in the finals, and it was their second year to make it. It's possible that getting swept by the Lakers the year before dampened any enthusiasm for the second trip. I never understood it myself. I'm sure all that was a factor in changing the name of the team to get New Yorkers to identify more with it.

Thread Information