Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    But that's way too extreme for too many people. They could dramatically, to hockey levels, increase scoring without changing the dynamic of the sport. They could even do so much as just widening the net.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://youtu.be/qjp1Zrvn8VQ

hater posting on ST during the entire match.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But that's way too extreme for too many people. They could dramatically, to hockey levels, increase scoring without changing the dynamic of the sport. They could even do so much as just widening the net.
    Indoor soccer is higher scoring. Soccer will continue to be a highly flawed sport until they reform the penalty system. It's inexcusable that a match could be won by a guy flopping in the box resulting in essentially a free goal (even if the fouled player wasn't shooting the ball nor had a viable scoring opportunity). Sure, ty pass interference calls and late 4th quarter fouls can alter the outcome of football and basketball games, but since those sports are much higher scoring, you can at least mitigate/buffer the damage of bad calls. The most common score in soccer is 1-0, so one bad call effectively sinks a team more often than not.

Hockey solved it. A penalty is punished by removing a player from the ice (a penalty shot is only given when the player was on a clear break away and simply recreates the situation). They also need to figure out tweaks so there isn't so many in' ties. One characteristic of flawed games/sports is how often a tie happens (this is why TicTacToe is considered a flawed game). Soccer fans don't care, though. As long as they're out in 90 minutes, get to chant and jerk off to Ronaldo, all is good.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    People grew up watching and playing the sport, so they don't like drastic change. But minor tweaks could make it more enjoyable for non-fans, fringe fans and diehards. Widening the net alone likely increases scoring by a goal a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hockey is niche here gots

Dal with it

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    American re s say the same thing every 4 years

Truth is they dont get soccer. They cant fathom a sport where there are nonconstant breaks where they can go sit on the toilet or go buy more nachos and beer

If there are less points scored than platters of nachos eaten, which is 6 or 7 per half, their heads explode

Real truth is the world is better off with them not being too into soccer. We dont want them to it up by inserting 50 timeouts so they can refill their enormous bellies and sell their garbage thru commercials
    Agreed tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People grew up watching and playing the sport, so they don't like drastic change. But minor tweaks could make it more enjoyable for non-fans, fringe fans and diehards. Widening the net alone likely increases scoring by a goal a game.
    Soccer will never face pressure to change, since fans are religious about the sport and tune in no matter what. Anyhow, for non-fans, it shouldn't be of concern if soccer changes or not. There's much better "goal sports" out there you can explore (Gaelic, Hurling, Aussie Rules). Why demand soccer to change "for us" when half the world is perfectly content with low-scoring, inconsistently officiated soccer matches that wind up in a tie 30% of the time? And , even if soccer changed I wouldn't watch it. As I said, I think a sport like Gaelic is an "evolution" of soccer that makes it redundant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do most Muricans hate soccer so much anyway? Is it just like a pompous, contrarian thing? The whole world loves it but we are big bad Muricans so soccer!

I mean the rest of the world has embraced the NBA and NFL, not sure why there's such hatred towards soccer. It's actually nice to have something else to watch other than Fatball during the summer.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Hockey is niche south of the Frost Belt.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do most Muricans hate soccer so much anyway? Is it just like a pompous, contrarian thing? The whole world loves it but we are big bad Muricans so soccer!

I mean the rest of the world has embraced the NBA and NFL, not sure why there's such hatred towards soccer. It's actually nice to have something else to watch other than Fatball during the summer.
    I don't think the rest of the world has embraced the NFL, I haven't looked at any numbers, but I'd bet that American football isn't a notable sport outside of America..

NBA isn't surprising, as basketball has become a very popular sport worldwide...I've
    noticed a strong link between soccer and basketball fans, despite the sports being dissimilar..

I like soccer and I watch big games, but I think a lot of Americans have just become annoyed by the hipster American soccer fans who have been claiming that soccer is going to take over America, they've been saying it for over 20 years

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing I dislike about soccer is the blatant match-fixing, tbh..other than boxing, it's the only sport where I always have to wonder whether the game is rigged

Russia hosting the WC will be a nice test in that regard..

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Why do most Muricans hate soccer so much anyway?
    Because it's boring garbage, and we're too busy watching actual sports.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Need some more graphics.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Cowherd is literally one of the dumbest people in sports media. He’s also a shock value take artist. His whole purpose in life is to get someone, anyone rile up over something he says. He’s a ing idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why does the world love it?

I don't think Americans hate soccer generally speaking. I bought the very first FIFA back in '94. I continued to buy soccer video games up until about '99. I've watched every World Cup to some degree since '94 (wont' be watching this year). I simply don't think the sport is worth investing time in over US sports (which I find better designed, and which is an opinion I can write a in' dissertation on vs. soccer, so me turning my nose up at soccer isn't out of Murrican pride). If I'm going to invest time into a soccer-like sport, it would be something like Gaelic or Aussie Rules (more of a Rugby-like sport), which I find better designed. My opinion is that soccer is one sport of many and unlike soccer nuts, I don't think the sport is some proverbial gift from God that is intrinsically superior to other sports.

And no, appeal to popularity is a fallacy. It grew through British imperialism, not because the peoples of the world "saw the light." And if you don't think that was a factor, the Brits managed to make a sport you would find more boring than baseball the 2nd most popular in the world.

rest of the world embracing the NFL? On what planet? They hate it. I get it's popular in Mexico and Canada, but most other countries find it slow, plodding, unskillful, and absolutely despise the fact we call it "football," (even though American football has more of a right to be called football than soccer does).

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the NBA forum. The povertyball forums are elswhere, Impalea _9(inches)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the rest of the world has embraced the NFL, I haven't looked at any numbers, but I'd bet that American football isn't a notable sport outside of America..

NBA isn't surprising, as basketball has become a very popular sport worldwide...I've
    noticed a strong link between soccer and basketball fans, despite the sports being dissimilar..

I like soccer and I watch big games, but I think a lot of Americans have just become annoyed by the hipster American soccer fans who have been claiming that soccer is going to take over America, they've been saying it for over 20 years
    Because basketball is something they can understand right away. It's basically vertical hand soccer but much higher scoring. Euros and South Americans love that "design," i.e. 5, 11, 15 guys running around on some rectangular surface trying to put a ball into a goal. All the popular team sports in Europe (handball, field hockey, basketball, etc) employ that central design.

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Spain is winning it all tb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does the world love it?

I don't think Americans hate soccer generally speaking. I bought the very first FIFA back in '94. I continued to buy soccer video games up until about '99. I've watched every World Cup to some degree since '94 (wont' be watching this year). I simply don't think the sport is worth investing time in over US sports (which I find better designed, and which is an opinion I can write a in' dissertation on vs. soccer, so me turning my nose up at soccer isn't out of Murrican pride). If I'm going to invest time into a soccer-like sport, it would be something like Gaelic or Aussie Rules (more of a Rugby-like sport), which I find better designed. My opinion is that soccer is one sport of many and unlike soccer nuts, I don't think the sport is some proverbial gift from God that is intrinsically superior to other sports.

And no, appeal to popularity is a fallacy. It grew through British imperialism, not because the peoples of the world "saw the light." And if you don't think that was a factor, the Brits managed to make a sport you would find more boring than baseball the 2nd most popular in the world.

rest of the world embracing the NFL? On what planet? They hate it. I get it's popular in Mexico and Canada, but most other countries find it slow, plodding, unskillful, and absolutely despise the fact we call it "football," (even though American football has more of a right to be called football than soccer does).
    You're one to talk about design with your love affair with fatball. Meaningless, overly long regular season, each game is a 4 hour long snoozefest, half of those 4 hours are just dead time waiting for the next pitch, players other than the pitcher stationary for atleast 90% of the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because it's boring garbage, and we're too busy watching actual sports.
    It's boring to watch, but if you ever played it, trust me, it's a sport.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're one to talk about design with your love affair with fatball. Meaningless, overly long regular season, each game is a 4 hour long snoozefest, half of those 4 hours are just dead time waiting for the next pitch, players other than the pitcher stationary for atleast 90% of the game.

You're invoking aesthetic arguments. "It bores me, so it's not well designed." Your entertainment preferences have nothing to do with game design. You simply can't get over the fact they "don't run around." That's your entire argument. It would be like calling a Hitch film bad because there's not enough gun fights. When I criticize soccer, I actually talk about the core elements of the sport and don't just handwave away with, "Well, they don't hit each other like they do in football, so therefore it's boring." I'm not going to tell you what to like, but the "boring" reply is a shallow argument if you're actually trying to have a discussion.

There's more dead time in an NFL game and they're longer on average, but you have no problem. Like I said, you have a fundamental bias against baseball for some reason. It's evident every time you discuss the sport.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 06-14-2018 at 10:39 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But ^ that said, I totally agree the MLB needs pace of play tweaks (which have nothing to do with the sport's design and are "problems" with player behavior). The Minors have a pitch clock and games usually finish in about 2:20 min. Golden Age baseball took about 2 hours to play, with many games even lasting a mere 1:30.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not having a pitch clock is a design flaw. Basketball didn't have a shot clock and when team's started dribbling around to kill time they implemented one. Fatball needs to do the same.

Regular season length is a design flaw. I get that the "sport" demands so little from its non-pitcher players that they can play 50 days in a row, but still it makes a game in June completely meaningless.

If they fixed those two things...got closer to 1.5 hour games and had under 100 games I might actually watch it more. Right now, those two things coupled with so little action makes it a snoozefest to watch. No other sport has that trifecta of dullness, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not having a pitch clock is a design flaw. Basketball didn't have a shot clock and when team's started dribbling around to kill time they implemented one. Fatball needs to do the same.

Regular season length is a design flaw. I get that the "sport" demands so little from its non-pitcher players that they can play 50 days in a row, but still it makes a game in June completely meaningless.

If they fixed those two things...got closer to 1.5 hour games and had under 100 games I might actually watch it more. Right now, those two things coupled with so little action makes it a snoozefest to watch. No other sport has that trifecta of dullness, tbh.
    No, not having a pitch clock isn't a design flaw. Players can't use taking their time to exploit it for an offensive or defensive advantage. Basketball without a shotclock can be exploited to the point of a team holding onto the ball the entire game and winning 2-0. There's no clock in baseball.

Length of season a design flaw? One of your worse arguments. No single game is meaningless. It's a mathematical impossibility. A meaningless game would literally be a game that doesnt count toward the win/loss record.

An example of a design flaw in baseball is probably the ground rule double rule. Even if was obvious a player was going to score from 1st, he has to stay at 3rd regardless. Ground rule doubles should be automatic triples imo.

Plenty of action in baseball. 300 pitches per game. It's just action you don't like because it doesn't unfold through "running around."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fatball and povertyball are both garbage

Thread Information