Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was Boutons in Vegas? That crazy may have finally snapped completely and decided to take a bunch of rednecks with him.

Dude....

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Was Boutons in Vegas? That crazy may have finally snapped completely and decided to take a bunch of rednecks with him.
    Not cool.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Over 400 injured. What in the actual .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My �� goes out to the families of the victims. Let me guess, the shooter was a sawm?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My �� goes out to the families of the victims. Let me guess, the shooter was a sawm?
    We need to make America great again and deport these white animals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Until we can figure out what the is going on!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is gonna keep happening. 150 people could die in a mass shooting and no stricter gun control laws

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is gonna keep happening. 150 people could die in a mass shooting and no stricter gun control laws
    TBH.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    90% of the domestic terrorism we have is at the hands of some cac. Send them back to the caucus mountains. I have to keep my head on a swivel whenever I'm around more than 3 whites because I'm terrified one of em might just start shooting at random. Just an inherently evil breed of people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    90% of the domestic terrorism we have is at the hands of some cac. Send them back to the caucus mountains. I have to keep my head on a swivel whenever I'm around more than 3 whites because I'm terrified one of em might just start shooting at random. Just an inherently evil breed of people.
    Preach my brother.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My Mass Shooting Ritual

I woke up this morning, pulled my iPad off my nightstand and opened Twitter to see if there was any overnight news. There was a horrific mass shooting in Las Vegas. I spun around to get a handle on the scope of the attack, the death toll and other basic facts. Then I started thinking through what has now become a basic ritual.

Who was the suspect? I hoped it wasn’t a Muslim. I also hoped it wasn’t an African-American man. Obviously, the iden y of the shooter doesn’t make anyone more dead or alive. For the particular crime, the iden y and even the motive is basically irrelevant. As a journalist, I shouldn’t really ‘hope’ it is or is not anyone. It is whatever it is. Is this liberal guilt? I don’t think so. I do so for a pretty simple reason: mass violence by Muslims or black men are immediately political – and wrapped into storylines they have relatively little connection to – whereas as mass violence by whites just is. They are individual acts and unfathomable, no more addressable by policy or societal action than the obvious and inevitable fact that we will all one day die.

If the shooter is a Muslim or even more a Muslim immigrant, the attack is “terrorism” and even more than that it becomes enrolled into the catalog of threats to justify immigrant bans, surveilling or expulsion of Muslim immigrants, various military actions in the Middle East, new wars, scraping the Iran nuclear deal.

If it’s a black man it’s only slightly less political. It’s part of the rising tide of crime (statistically slightly true though greatly exaggerated) Jeff Sessions and President Trump use to inflame racial division and reignite the drug war and 80s era policing. It’s a violent turn for the rising tide of African-American protest ranging from taking a knee to protests in Ferguson and other cities.

If it is a white man, seemingly without religious views of any particular relevance to the crime or targeting people of a particular race, it’s just … a thing that happened and not something we can do anything about. It’s original sin. Just a crazed individual, someone who seemed normal and then went horribly wrong. Critically, it’s an individual story, isolated and untouchable by anything we can do as a society.

These tell us a lot about racism and xenophobia in America. But fundamentally these are diversions. The problem is that America is the only country which is wealthy and not roiled by endemic civil conflict which regularly has mass gun massacres.

There are exceptions: explicitly racist murders by white men put a focus on racism. Dylann Roof’s 2015 black church massacre in Charleston, South Carolina permanently altered the debate over the Confederate flag in South Carolina. But these are the exceptions.

It’s certainly not like no one cares. Far from it. Everyone does. As I write, the whole country is in another of these spasms of shock and numbness. If you think part of the problem is guns, you’ve known since the Newtown massacre that literally no outrage is great enough for the country to rethink its march toward greater and greater freedom to arm yourself with more and more powerful weapons. We won’t even have a period of a few weeks in which there will be a push for new gun restrictions only to see it fail. Because we know no new law will be passed.

Fundamentally, we are stuck. All the massacres matter. But they’re only readily politicized along our existing paranoia about Muslim terrorists and white fears of black criminality. Since any action on guns is ruled out, we’re left with more or less emotive versions of “thoughts and prayers.” The easy availability of military style weapons is obvious and immediate cause of these massacres. Human nature contains violence, evil, senseless aggression. But that’s true in every country. We’re the only place where anything remotely like this happens on a regular basis.

But beyond guns – which are absolutely, absolutely necessary to address and dramatically restrict access to – we need to recognize that we don’t have mass violence only because of guns. We have so many guns because America is a deeply violent society. That goes back generations. We have recurrent massacres because we are awash in firearms and also because we are a deeply violent society. Nothing so deeply rooted in our culture can be easily changed. But we could change it. We cannot and do not because at the end of the day we accept it.
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/...hooting-ritual

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Until we can figure out what the is going on!"
    TBH

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hillary Clinton: We must 'stand up to the NRA'
    28 minutes ago ccc blames nra
    people still trying to figure things out

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Snakeboy desperately keying in those words into google algorithm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hillary Clinton: We must 'stand up to the NRA'
    28 minutes ago ccc blames nra
    people still trying to figure things out
    Yes let's not rush to criticize the lobbying group that advocates unfettered access to killing machines and amps up anger-marketing any time gun sales lag.

If his name was Abdul you would've started three threads about Muslims by now, you illiterate ing tool.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    President Kelly is handling this well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uhhh the gun used was already 100% illegal anywhere in the US.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ISIS claims responsibility for Las Vegas shooting.

That awkward moment when muslim terrorists are trying to claim responsibility for an attack but American muslim terrorist apologists won't give them the credit they're asking for...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uhhh the gun used was already 100% illegal anywhere in the US.
    Illegal to own or illegal to buy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Illegal to own or illegal to buy?
    Both for this guy with a previous criminal record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes let's not rush to criticize the lobbying group that advocates unfettered access to killing machines and amps up anger-marketing any time gun sales lag.

If his name was Abdul you would've started three threads about Muslims by now, you illiterate ing tool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both for this guy with a previous criminal record.
    A "citation" handled by the court system prevents you from buying a gun?

Couldn't that have been an overdue parking ticket for all we know at this point? Seems like if it was the kind of crime that prevents gun ownership, law enforcement wouldn't be saying they have no derogatory information about him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ISIS claims responsibility for Las Vegas shooting.

That awkward moment when muslim terrorists are trying to claim responsibility for an attack but American muslim terrorist apologists won't give them the credit they're asking for...
    LMAO. I thought this was a joke.

Thread Information