Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs would have to make more drastic cuts/moves to sign Paul than the Dubs made to accommodate Durant. But we would have to consult somebody like Chinook to get a more precise analysis.
    First of all we do not know what type of $$ Paul would want..he could take less to get a ring either here or somewhere else..

Also I wouldn't be interested about CP3 if Woj wasn't the source who started this whole thing in the summer or beginning of year not sure. I think there's something to it but I've always been curious how things would shake out with Parker and rest of our roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since I was asked, here's a more-exact breakdown of what signing Paul would entail. According to this article by USA Today, the cap is projected to be $102 Million and the max for a player with 10 or more years of experience is $33.5 Million. The Spurs won't have more than like $13 Million in cap space this summer naturally, but they could create quite a bit more by dumping Parker and Gasol and by letting everyone but Simmons (because they're really not saving money but not tendering him) walk.

This is what they'd be looking at:

Name 2017-18
    LaMarcus Aldridge $21,461,010
    Kawhi Leonard $18,868,625
    Danny Green $10,000,000
    Tim Duncan (stretched) $1,881,250
    Kyle Anderson $2,151,704
    Dejounte Murray $1,312,611
    Livio Jean-Charles (waived) $1,035,200
    Jonathan Simmons (QO) $1,676,735
    Davis Bertans $1,312,611
    Bryn Forbes $1,312,611
    First-Rounder $1,697,225
    Milutinov $1,832,075
    Roster Charge $815,615
    Roster Charge $815,615
    Calculated Total $66,172,887
    Projected Cap $102,000,000
    Projected Cap Space $35,827,113
    Cap Space After Paul $2,327,113

So they'd have enough money to maybe since someone half-decent and still have the room MLE, which due to the new CBA will be about the size of the current MLE. But they'd have a lot of holes, as this roster breakdown shows:

Paul, Murray
    Green, Simmons, Forbes
    Leonard, Anderson
    Aldridge, Bertans
    Milutinov

You'd have to hope Lee would come back for one of those two salary slots, while they could get a guard to take the other. Stashing Nikola for another year and moving on from Simmons would make like another $1.5 Million, which may or may not make a difference. But I think the key will be cheap labor, which is why I wouldn't really even think of stashing the pick. Ideally, you sign some guys then S&T Simmons for another rotation player, but that's a -ton of trading away for one summer.

tl;dr: It's possible to get Paul/Lowry/Hill depending on how easy it would be to move Pau and Tony, and how willing they are to start over (relatively speaking) for a third summer in a row. If Paul or Lowry were willing to give up enough money to have the Spurs re-sign Dedmon, that would go a long way toward making the move worth it.

Lowry, Murray, min guy, rookie
    Green, cheap guard, Forbes
    Leonard, Simmons, pick
    Aldridge, Bertans, Anderson
    Dedmon, Lee, Milutinov, rookie

Could see that as the basis for a contending roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First of all we do not know what type of $$ Paul would want..he could take less to get a ring either here or somewhere else..

Also I wouldn't be interested about CP3 if Woj wasn't the source who started this whole thing in the summer or beginning of year not sure. I think there's something to it but I've always been curious how things would shake out with Parker and rest of our roster.
    He would be leaving $16.2 million on the table by opting out. 3 years $30 million could entice him to opt out and would help the Spurs out this offseason.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He would be leaving $16.2 million on the table by opting out. 3 years $30 million could entice him to opt out and would help the Spurs out this offseason.
    I'm talking about Chris Paul..are you referring to Pau? Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not that he can't change his mind in the off-season but didn't Paul already announced his intention to sign a five-year max contract extension with the clippers?
    Yes. I don't have a link, but a quick Google search should confirm this without much effort.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. I don't have a link, but a quick Google search should confirm this without much effort.
    To be completely accurate, he hasn't said that publicly. There's just a report out that he has agreed verbally with the club. If they stumble down the ladder and end up being wasted in the first round, I think both the players and the team may be wary of bringing back the band again.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be completely accurate, he hasn't said that publicly. There's just a report out that he has agreed verbally with the club. If they stumble down the ladder and end up being wasted in the first round, I think both the players and the team may be wary of bringing back the band again.
    If Woj didn't report it..,really doesn't mean tbh. Ask Mark Cuban how reliable "verbal agreements" are lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Woj didn't report it..,really doesn't mean tbh. Ask Mark Cuban how reliable "verbal agreements" are lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think there's a chance in that Tony will retire and leave $15 million on the table. His expiring contract will be a tradable asset next season but I seriously doubt that the Spurs would trade Tony.

There is not a chance in that Mills signs a cheap contract with the promise of more later. This is his first and it might be his only chance to cash in on my gigantic NBA contract. Other teams are probably going to throw offers of 10 to 13 million per year and there is no chance that he leaves an offer like that on the table.

I do think that there is a possibility that Pau will opt out of the final year of his contract with the understanding that he would sign a longer-term deal in the range of three years $30 million. This would clear additional Space for the off-season but I think the Spurs are going to have to make a decision to either sign Mills or Dedmen in the off-season as they cannot afford to keep both.
    With respect to Tony: I think his injuries/loss of "closer" status makes it more conceivable to move him than it once was.
    With respect to Patty: You nailed it.
    With respect to Pau: Depending on whether Pau adapts to his (bench?) role, how well he likes SA, and how much longer he plans to play - yeah, I could see his opting out and re-signing to clear up space to sign a good player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paul will command $ that will price him out of range for the Spurs.
    Yeah, I was just stating if that was the choice it's obvious. What I'm hoping happens is that the franchise continues to get younger. It's Kawhi's team now and that's the way it should be moving forward. Any player brought in from now on should realize that Kawhis the leader and you must fall in line.

Bringing in a Chris Paul makes that more difficult as I'm sure he's not the fall in line type. Not only that but I agree that he would be too expensive and even if it's possible to sign Paul I don't think that should be the direction the Spurs go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm talking about Chris Paul..are you referring to Pau? Lol
    Yeah, I have to brush up on my reading skills.

As as far as Paul, I think that he already stated that he intends to sign a 5 year max deal with the Clippers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Manu leaves, I think it's possible Tony could be traded, just as the last piece of the old guard and the need to start the new one. The sad thing is that there's no available PG in their mid-20s to do that with besides Jrue, and he's too risky for such an ambitious plan. I've thrown in my hat for Lowry, and if Toronto pulls a Clippers and gets dusted as a five-seed or something like that, I could see him on the market for something starting in the low-20s or mid-20s. That would make it possible to keep Dedmon (or Mills for some reason) or perhaps to refinance Pau.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see no way in Tony Parker gets traded. That's not how this front office works and will ever work. The big three retire as Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see no way in Tony Parker gets traded. That's not how this front office works and will ever work. The big three retire as Spurs.
    Agreed. As much as I'd love to get rid of that contract, I would be absolutely stunned if they did so. Can't see it happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony is still valuable as 15mpg kinda guy. As a role player with limited minutes. I dobt want to keep him but the market next year is scarce.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Manu leaves, I think it's possible Tony could be traded, just as the last piece of the old guard and the need to start the new one. The sad thing is that there's no available PG in their mid-20s to do that with besides Jrue, and he's too risky for such an ambitious plan. I've thrown in my hat for Lowry, and if Toronto pulls a Clippers and gets dusted as a five-seed or something like that, I could see him on the market for something starting in the low-20s or mid-20s. That would make it possible to keep Dedmon (or Mills for some reason) or perhaps to refinance Pau.
    I never suggested Tony to be traded. Just that maybe, without Manu and with his health issues he doesn't want to continue playing.
    If that's the case he can just cash his contract and we can stretch it.
    That move will be as good as a trade considering you don't need to bring anyone for him.
    About Paul i don't think he is impossible, but he is a long shot. The player i feel the spurs would like to target (if Tony is gone) is George Hill. For obvious Spurs kind of reasons.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. As much as I'd love to get rid of that contract, I would be absolutely stunned if they did so. Can't see it happening.
    Duncan and Manu were are and still productive in their roles...Parker hasn't been at all tbh. And it's not even about the production as much it is about availability..It's nagging injury after another..
    Last edited by coachmac87; 03-14-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could the Spurs offer CP3 4yrs/100M and get away with it?

How would that stack up against LAC offer?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could the Spurs offer CP3 4yrs/100M and get away with it?

How would that stack up against LAC offer?
    The Clips could offer $194M/5, so yeah.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol at everyone that says Mills is garbage. A backup PG that can ignite at any moment is golden around the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It has been virtually inconceivable that the Spurs would trade Tony - practically since The Kidd episode. But Tony has become very unreliable. He is constantly plagued by injuries. Even when he plays, he is only effective about half the time at best, and even then he has lost his role as PG closer. It is more conceivable than ever that the Spurs would trade Tony.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since I was asked, here's a more-exact breakdown of what signing Paul would entail. According to this article by USA Today, the cap is projected to be $102 Million and the max for a player with 10 or more years of experience is $33.5 Million. The Spurs won't have more than like $13 Million in cap space this summer naturally, but they could create quite a bit more by dumping Parker and Gasol and by letting everyone but Simmons (because they're really not saving money but not tendering him) walk.

This is what they'd be looking at:

Name 2017-18
    LaMarcus Aldridge $21,461,010
    Kawhi Leonard $18,868,625
    Danny Green $10,000,000
    Tim Duncan (stretched) $1,881,250
    Kyle Anderson $2,151,704
    Dejounte Murray $1,312,611
    Livio Jean-Charles (waived) $1,035,200
    Jonathan Simmons (QO) $1,676,735
    Davis Bertans $1,312,611
    Bryn Forbes $1,312,611
    First-Rounder $1,697,225
    Milutinov $1,832,075
    Roster Charge $815,615
    Roster Charge $815,615
    Calculated Total $66,172,887
    Projected Cap $102,000,000
    Projected Cap Space $35,827,113
    Cap Space After Paul $2,327,113

So they'd have enough money to maybe since someone half-decent and still have the room MLE, which due to the new CBA will be about the size of the current MLE. But they'd have a lot of holes, as this roster breakdown shows:

Paul, Murray
    Green, Simmons, Forbes
    Leonard, Anderson
    Aldridge, Bertans
    Milutinov

You'd have to hope Lee would come back for one of those two salary slots, while they could get a guard to take the other. Stashing Nikola for another year and moving on from Simmons would make like another $1.5 Million, which may or may not make a difference. But I think the key will be cheap labor, which is why I wouldn't really even think of stashing the pick. Ideally, you sign some guys then S&T Simmons for another rotation player, but that's a -ton of trading away for one summer.

tl;dr: It's possible to get Paul/Lowry/Hill depending on how easy it would be to move Pau and Tony, and how willing they are to start over (relatively speaking) for a third summer in a row. If Paul or Lowry were willing to give up enough money to have the Spurs re-sign Dedmon, that would go a long way toward making the move worth it.

Lowry, Murray, min guy, rookie
    Green, cheap guard, Forbes
    Leonard, Simmons, pick
    Aldridge, Bertans, Anderson
    Dedmon, Lee, Milutinov, rookie

Could see that as the basis for a contending roster.
    Damn, I would love to get Lowry. Pipe dream though, we are stuck with Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You actually can't do that in the NBA. Mills can only see his salary increase by eight percent from one year to another.
    Well Furk!

Can Tony's contract be reworked (lengthened) so as to spread out that hit for next year?

Thanks for the clarification, btw.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Clips could offer $194M/5, so yeah.

Wait what?? LMAO

I mean I don't know the numbers like you obviously do... What would be a reasonable discount deal the Spurs could offer that wouldn't gut us like GSW?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty is getting paid this offseason, and it's not going to be by the Spurs, tbh.

Thread Information