Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I noticed in another thread people mentioning Splitter coming over next year.

Considering our logjam of players in the front court, I was wondering what that means for Splitter.

I am of the mind that the Spurs keep these guys, let the young guys get some minutes in practice and on the court to develop, and waits to see if they are dependable enough to be regular rotation players. Haislip, Theo and bonner are insurance for our older front line, as well as in case the young guys are just not ready.

However, the scenarios that I heard before included us using our mid-level exception to sign Splitter. Problem: we used it this year, and you only get the exceptions every other year.

Plus, we are over the cap for 2010, thanks to the (excellent) RJ trade. No more money. We can re-sign manu, ect., because of bird rights, but

I think that means we could only sign splitter if we saved the LLE....right? We can't sign him to more than the rookie contract (which does not exist for 2nd rounders), the vet min (he does not qualify), and ?

I think we are committed to several front court players now through next year, meaning we have to trade some guys if Splitter is coming, or we have to trade splitter's rights before the year is up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at the expiring contracts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at the expiring contracts.
    I admire your patience teaching the NBA business all the time

Der Willis der Spurs wird siegen! FlAVaK's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...using our mid-level exception to sign Splitter. Problem: we used it this year, and you only get the exceptions every other year.
    The MLE is available every year, the LLE can only be used once in a two year span...

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To answer the thread question: no.

unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the MLE is available every year, we are fine, no problem. But I think we basically used our cap space, according to Bruno's post:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...purs+room+2010

We would have had about 21m before including splitter, hill, ian, and manu, but RJ's 14-15 next year means we would have less than 4m before signing manu.

Anyway, if we have the MLE, I assume we are fine. never mind.

unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyway, I believe all of our bigs are signed for more than one year, (outside ian and bonner), correct?

Sure, Splitter can take Bonners spot on the roster, but not really minutes wise. If we have Duncan/Blair, Dice/Ian, Haislip, with Theo the 6th big, where does Splitter fit, and does that mean we have to probably deal one of the 5 bigs outside duncan to make room for splitter? Don't we have to deal a big getting significant minutes in that case, because otherwise it is a waste...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you really think Splitter wouldn't play ahead of Haislip and Ratliff?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Ratliff contract is supposedly only a 1 year deal, so Splitter would have no problem getting ahead of Haislip in the rotation. He doesn't have to worry about Ratliff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I noticed in another thread people mentioning Splitter coming over next year.

Considering our logjam of players in the front court, I was wondering what that means for Splitter.

I am of the mind that the Spurs keep these guys, let the young guys get some minutes in practice and on the court to develop, and waits to see if they are dependable enough to be regular rotation players. Haislip, Theo and bonner are insurance for our older front line, as well as in case the young guys are just not ready.

However, the scenarios that I heard before included us using our mid-level exception to sign Splitter. Problem: we used it this year, and you only get the exceptions every other year.

Plus, we are over the cap for 2010, thanks to the (excellent) RJ trade. No more money. We can re-sign manu, ect., because of bird rights, but

I think that means we could only sign splitter if we saved the LLE....right? We can't sign him to more than the rookie contract (which does not exist for 2nd rounders), the vet min (he does not qualify), and ?

I think we are committed to several front court players now through next year, meaning we have to trade some guys if Splitter is coming, or we have to trade splitter's rights before the year is up.
    Splitter will no longer be bound by the rookie pay scale when we negotiate with him in the summer of 2010. Bonner's contract is expiring, Ian may be getting traded at this point, Ratliff is probably a "one and done" (especially if we win it all this year) and Haislip probably won't pan out. Either way, the Spurs will definitely make room for this guy if he wants to come over.

unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do chump, that is the point.

Unless one of the two rookies is basically bad, haislip will be the 5th big (which means he plays 10min or less average).

Theo will get spot minutes at best.

Splitter could very well come in as a starter, or become one within his first year. Everyone (but duncan) bumps down...dice maybe moves to the 5th big, with blair and ian staying the 3rd and 4th bigs off the bench. That means Haislip and Theo are basically not needed...right? Maybe Theo only has a 1 year, and Haislip becomes a deep freeze reserve

I guess this is too forward thinking, since we have not seen the rookies perform at all to see where they end up on the depth chart. It just seems like people are talking about having too many bigs now, and we will likely be getting Splitter next year, who could be a big minute contributor as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do chump, that is the point.

Unless one of the two rookies is basically bad, haislip will be the 5th big (which means he plays 10min or less average).

Theo will get spot minutes at best.

Splitter could very well come in as a starter, or become one within his first year. Everyone (but duncan) bumps down...dice maybe moves to the 5th big, with blair and ian staying the 3rd and 4th bigs off the bench. That means Haislip and Theo are basically not needed...right? Maybe Theo only has a 1 year, and Haislip becomes a deep freeze reserve

I guess this is too forward thinking, since we have not seen the rookies perform at all to see where they end up on the depth chart. It just seems like people are talking about having too many bigs now, and we will likely be getting Splitter next year, who could be a big minute contributor as well.
    Theo's contract is only 1 year.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ratliff is a solid to good stopgap to splitter next year.

Ford is the Best in Texas scottspurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This offseason does not eliminate Tiago from the Spurs future plans. The Spurs Top Offseason Priority in 2010 will be Manu then Splitter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why I expect Finley or Bonner to remain with the team for the entire year. Their expiring contract will be used to sign Splitter.

unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having thought this through, Dice is the stopgap for Splitter, and theo is just a shot blocker for special situations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've had enough of this "Is he/Isn't he" talk about Tiago, when the Spurs show signs of being able to bring him over i'll worry then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are signs the Spurs will be able to bring him over next summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've had enough of this "Is he/Isn't he" talk about Tiago, when the Spurs show signs of being able to bring him over i'll worry then.
    Tiago wants more money than the rookie salary.

Next year, the Spurs can offer more than that.

If the Spurs are to bring him at all, it will be next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to the CBA teams can always sign their first round selections regardless of their cap situation. Hence, we can sign Splitter to a rookie deal regardless. I'm not sure when the CBA will be renegotiated, but I'm sure that stipulation will remain in there in some form.

One of the team's bigs could definitely be on the move, but I could also see them carry 7 into the season. Duncan and McDyess will be the mainstays of the rotation and Blair will be the primary reserve. Haislip, Mahinmi and Bonner seem to be destined to battle over that 4th rotational spot with Ratliff likely IRed and playing very little. A lot hinges on Haislip. If he pans out and can hit the 3 then he duplicates Bonner's skill-set while outclassing him in pretty much all other facets of the game. But I agree that Haislip was probably brought in here to play the small ball 4 and even some 3. If thats the case then a lot of his minutes may actually be on the wings- leaving more post minutes for the likes of guys like Mahinmi. If thats the case then Duncan/McDyess/Blair/Mahinmi (presuming that Bonner is ousted) could shape up the main rotation with Ratliff and Bonner in reserve. Not too shabby. Bonner and Finley would then be held and potentially traded before the deadline dependent on the holes that that the coaching sees in the team midway through the season.

Can't Start Threads Kill_Bill_Pana's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ONE AGAIN I was proven right and Bruno and others here like Mountainballer as the LIARS, fake Spurs fans that they reall are. They are deceivers that are just trying to distort and ruin what Spurs fans think.

Saski Baskonia announced that TAU is officially out as the sponsor, that they are bankrupted and DO NOT contribute properly to the team.

They contributed ONLY 7% of the team's budget.

The new sponsor has already been signed, has much MORE MONEY, will contribute MORE MONEY and the team budget will INCREASE FROM NOW ON.

So all the mofos here that have argued with me about this, called me a liar, insulted me, and all of that now you can tell those mother ers Bruno and Mountainballer off and their asses should be PINKED NOW.

Their endless lies are exposed over and over and they have on purpose been making up to Spurs fans about Splitter and his team for their own amusements to the other fans here.

It is a ing disgrace.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your lies were exposed.

Why did you make up ?

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why don't you ing leave already

God

unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KBP:

Thanks for the link.

dude, you do not gain cred by spouting hate towards others. Even if you are right, that type of at ude will continue to garner a lack of respect by basically everyone here.

Second, I do not think Bruno has said anything I would consider a lie, regardless of the figures you are showing. So chill.

Third, Turkey > Greece.

Scarlett our Goddess4ever
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Spurs had better not trade Splitter's rights, or another Scola trade is expected.

Thread Information