Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://en.yibada.com/articles/142816...es-big-men.htm

Could be a good pickup if he comes cheap. Gives us some depth and rebounding.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Count me in. Can't defend, but otherwise I would be fine with him.

I may or may not care. monkeypunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could do worse for the min and options on decent bigs aare getting limited.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta go with the typical : for the minimum, why not ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he any better than Bonner?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't completely opposed to trading Parker for Monroe. Parker and David Lee makes the Spurs much better than Greg Monroe + any available guard.

EDIT: Actually, I wasn't at all opposed to it in the thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lee is not a 3-point threat at all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ignoring any defensive issues, he actually put up really some good stats playing for Dallas last season:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...l/leeda02.html

The high FG% (63.6%) and rebounding numbers (14.5 rebs/per 36 mins) stand out. It's obviously only a small sample size of 25 games but it looks like he still has a quite a bit left in the tank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Bertans can hit the 3 with any regularity we won't need Bonner to stretch the floor. Lee is a HUGE step up over Bonner with or without the 3. He was a double double machine that can hit an open shot and still has something left in the tank (only 33). If it's the vet minimum then it would be a mistake to take Bonner over Lee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Bertans can hit the 3 with any regularity we won't need Bonner to stretch the floor. Lee is a HUGE step up over Bonner with or without the 3. He was a double double machine that can hit an open shot and still has something left in the tank (only 33). If it's the vet minimum then it would be a mistake to take Bonner over Lee
    Depends on what we want that far down the bench. I am not a Bonner hater nor a Lee lover. Either one would be "okay". All in all, I think I would prefer to wait and see what bigs might become available once training camps get under way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better than Boris?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    QUOTE=sasaint;8680953]Depends on what we want that far down the bench. I am not a Bonner hater nor a Lee lover. Either one would be "okay". All in all, I think I would prefer to wait and see what bigs might become available once training camps get under way.[/QUOTE]

While I've always appreciated what Bonner has done for us in the past, it has to be noted that he did a lot of it with Timmy protecting the rim. Lee on the other hand has been a gritty 2 time all star that played with intensity and passion. That's something we could use coming off the bench. Especially since Timmy won't be there to crash the boards and bail us out anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better than Boris?
    Probably not. But cheaper...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will Lee accept a diminished role playing backup?

Actually, I think Lee would be a decent pick up for the vet. minimum.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been interested in Lee since free agency (given what I anticipated happening this summer). We've trotted out a useless corpse in Bonner, a useless lazy fatass in Boris (I love him tho), a David West that couldn't bang with a single Center and was a very limited rebounder which is to say that unless it fell in his hand he wasn't gonna go a get it and we still won 67 games. A healthy Lee is MUCH better than any of those 3 (as they were last year). Lee is NOT a great or elite player by any stretch. But he IS a worker with a motor when healthy, he can score pick and roll and he is an ACTIVE rebounder even if a bit undersized. If he's healthy he can add to the offense. Defense is another thing but we need a boost in O for the bench as it is. Lee helps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From July 20 ESPN.com insider: 10 best available NBA free agents

9. David Lee

Dallas Mavericks
    Center
    Unrestricted

After joining the Mavericks following a buyout from the Celtics, Lee averaged 17.7 points and 14.5 rebounds per 36 minutes down the stretch while shooting 63.6 percent from the field, so despite his defensive shortcomings I expected more interest in him this summer. Alas, Lee is probably looking at a deal for the veteran's minimum at best.

Market: With Dallas moving on, it's hard to see an obvious fit for Lee. Perhaps he could make sense in San Antonio after the Spurs suffered heavy losses in their frontcourt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So that means he isn't coming here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither is Bonner unless it's garbage time.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bonner replacement

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs interested in David Lee?
    Roth? He's got hops, looks like a good rebounder, and clearly flails like Draymond. Sign him!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither is Bonner unless it's garbage time.
    I knew somebody wouldn't be able to resist the low-hanging fruit when I posted it. The truth is that Lee is not a threat AT ALL. But, like I said in a prior post, I am not a Bonner hater or a Lee lover. I would just rather wait and see...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I've always appreciated what Bonner has done for us in the past, it has to be noted that he did a lot of it with Timmy protecting the rim. Lee on the other hand has been a gritty 2 time all star that played with intensity and passion. That's something we could use coming off the bench. Especially since Timmy won't be there to crash the boards and bail us out anymore.
    Good points. Imo, neither player moves the needle at all - which is fine for what they are. I don't have a horse in that two-horse race.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew somebody wouldn't be able to resist the low-hanging fruit when I posted it. The truth is that Lee is not a threat AT ALL. But, like I said in a prior post, I am not a Bonner hater or a Lee lover. I would just rather wait and see...
    The Spurs' problem isn't that they have too few people to shoot threes, it's that they have too few people to shoot layups and free throws. David Lee is a massive upgrade over Bonner in both those respects, plus he's a good rebounder.

Thread Information