Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 6986
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Wheres your evidence?

Physics, geology, biology, genetics.

Take a few college courses.

Start with geology:

It forms a very good background to understand how things developed on the earth in the distant past.

Here is a rather colorful bit on how to start building up a history of a site. It is a large PDF, and some of it is in chinese, but I found it pretty cool.
    http://www.geol.umd.edu/~hcui/Teachi...ionHuanCui.pdf

A study of geology will show you the evidence that the earth is vastly old, as well as the beginnings of paleontology, as we find fossils in the layers of the earth, always in very predictable patterns.

These patterns have given us the introduction to phylogeny, that shows some VERY clear patterns.

With things like this:

Always below in deeper layers than things like this:

After countless hours of study and cataloging these creatures from the past you start constructing the phylogenetic "tree".

Not sure how much evidence you really require, but I haven't even gotten to genetics yet, and how all of this reinforces each other, when you start digging into the genes involved.

The study of genetics is, for me, one of the more fascinating things that support the theory of evolution.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I could simply start putting in the links to the scientific studies if you like.

Here is one on the genetic evidence:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22705669

There are tons of books on the subject of just genetic aspects of evolution, accessible even to laymen (might get that for Christmas reading):

http://www.amazon.com/Evolutionary-G.../dp/0195168186

Here is a really good one by an author named Coyne, that I have read through a few times:

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Evolution-.../dp/0143116649
    In the current debate about creationism and intelligent design, there is an element of the controversy that is rarely mentioned-the evidence. Yet the proof of evolution by natural selection is vast, varied, and magnificent. In this succinct and accessible summary of the facts supporting the theory of natural selection, Jerry A. Coyne dispels common misunderstandings and fears about evolution and clearly confirms the scientific truth that supports this amazing process of change. Weaving together the many threads of modern work in genetics, paleontology, geology, molecular biology, and anatomy that demonstrate the "indelible stamp" of the processes first proposed by Darwin, Why Evolution Is True does not aim to prove creationism wrong. Rather, by using irrefutable evidence, it sets out to prove evolution right.
    Here is Mr. Coyne outlining some of the debate, and detailing a lot of the evidence.:

That, of course is just part of the genetic evidence. I could go on.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It really is funny how we can have....BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....and we got all this. That is believable?

Many millions of years ago some sea critters crawled out of the abyss and......cows, spiders, crows, humans, eagles, ants etc etc etc all came out of it. That is believable?
    It is, if you understand the evidence for it.

You don't give a about the truth, and clearly don't understand evolution, so why should we care about what you find believable or not?

That is what really has me confused at this point.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Comets are the result of supernova debris. They should be vastly old, since they were no small part of the building blocks of our solar system.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just as I thought you're full of .

The dog came from the wolf ok man, at some time we did get just a dog, but you have no idea what breed it was. Why?

Like I said it's a stupid theory choked full of bull .
    http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl...Domestic-Dogs/

Why should we need to find a specific breed of dog? What do you think that would prove or not?

Evolution is, essentially, the gradual change of characteristics through natural selection.

Humans have been selectively breeding the animals for millennia, and this process is anything but natural.

Given that a dogs breeding lifespan is about 7 years, you can breed through a population about 2-3 times in even the shortest ancient human lifespan. We have had plenty of time to breed and inbreed the types of traits we want.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's like a primordial ooze of dumb in here.
    I've never seen anyone who is an obvious idiot talk so much about smarts. It's ing funny.

Dude, get out of under me/us and do something yourself, ok ya dumb ?

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It is, if you understand the evidence for it.

You don't give a about the truth, and clearly don't understand evolution, so why should we care about what you find believable or not?

That is what really has me confused at this point.
    Dude, stop acting as if you know the truth, ok? You don't know .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Where are all those stages of evolution? Where are all those Eagles before we got todays Eagle? And while we'll read....Dogs came from the wolf. we don't get anything really believable about how we came up with all the different kinds of dogs.

I don't care if 100 billion goes by ya can't change a fish into a bird.
    You can if the changes are gradual.

Fundamental to the process is genetic variation upon which selective forces can act in order for evolution to occur. This section examines the mechanisms of evolution focusing on:

Descent and the genetic differences that are heritable and passed on to the next generation;

Mutation, migration (gene flow), genetic drift, and natural selection as mechanisms of change;

The importance of genetic variation;

The random nature of genetic drift and the effects of a reduction in genetic variation;

How variation, differential reproduction, and heredity result in evolution by natural selection; and

How different species can affect each other’s evolution through coevolution.
    http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosit...chanisms.shtml

Offspring inherit traits and genes from their parents.

I assume you understand and accept this happens.

That is all you need.

Heritable traits and time.

http://hihg.med.miami.edu/code/http/...=1&LessonNum=3

3.1 Modes of Inheritance

Inheritance patterns describe how a disease is transmitted in families.

These patterns help to predict the recurrence risk for relatives.

In general, inheritance patterns for single gene disorders are classified based on whether they are autosomal or X-linked and whether they have a dominant or recessive pattern of inheritance. These disorders are called Mendelian disorders, after the geneticist Gregor Mendel.

.2 Autosomal Dominant Inheritance

In autosomal dominant inheritance, only one copy of a disease allele is necessary for an individual to be susceptible to expressing the phenotype.

With each pregnancy, there is a one in two (50%) chance the offspring will inherit the disease allele.

Unless a new mutation has occurred, all affected individuals will have at least one parent who carries the disease allele.

Autosomal dominant inheritance is often called vertical inheritance because of the transmission from parent to offspring.

Across a population, the proportion of affected males should be equal to the proportion of affected females.

Male-to-male transmission can be observed.

Examples of diseases with autosomal dominant inheritance include myotonic muscular dystrophy and Huntington disease.
    Click on the link above, for more info, I left about 80% of the lesson and material out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Mutations can occur spontaneously owing to several different mechanisms, including errors of DNA replication and spontaneous damage to the DNA.

Mutagens are agents that increase the frequency of mutagenesis, usually by altering the DNA.

Potentially mutagenic and carcinogenic compounds can be detected easily by mutagenesis tests with bacterial systems.

Biological repair systems eliminate many potentially mutagenic alterations in the DNA.

Cells lacking certain repair systems have higher than normal mutation rates.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21933/

We have gained a huge understanding of the process of mutation that happens.

Once you understand the mechanisms that can be clearly shown to change DNA, you now have evolution, when you have natural selection picking out traits that offer benefits, or weeding out animals that have deleterious genes.

Intraspecific Polymorphism to Interspecific Divergence: Genetics of Pigmentation in Drosophila

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/32...0.figures-only

We have figured out what genes do what, and it is kind of not a big leap to say that if you are a moth whose species lives in a forest with trees that have white bark, and you inherit the mutations for dark coloration, your odds getting eaten before being able to reproduce go way up.

Last edited by RandomGuy; 10-08-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Dude, stop acting as if you know the truth, ok? You don't know .
    I do. I understand the genetics, but am not by far, an expert. I understand the mechanisms and do quite a bit of reading on the subject. In order to debunk all the creationist bull over the decades I have learned quite a bit of actual science, and have gained a very thorough understanding of the evidence.

These concepts are not hard.

Do you accept that offspring inherit their traits from the available genetic material of their parents?

Then you accept evolution.

Do you accept that the earth is billions of years old?

Do you accept mutations happen?

Sorry, if you can't put it all together.

As I said, you don't give a about what is true or not. Otherwise you might bother understanding the evidence.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You missed my point.If the spin of planets, galaxies, etc., came from the fact that the Big Bang matter was spinning when it blew up, then the conservation of angular momentum demands that all planets be spinning in the same direction. Since some planets and moons spin in a retrograde motion, the Big Bang is disproved.
    That may be the dumbest thing I have read here. Seriously.

This one wins a prize.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That may be the dumbest thing I have read here. Seriously.

This one wins a prize.

Dumb is thinking we got DNA as complex as that is from a.....BIG BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you really this stupid?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    what i find funny about avante is when somebody mentions a something about science he always responds with:

"Everybody knows that.......... OK??? Stop explaining that everybody here obviously here already knows~~~~~~~ SHEESH"

but then one post later he will demonstrate that he understands nothing about science.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    what i find funny about avante is when somebody mentions a something about science he always responds with:

"Everybody knows that.......... OK??? Stop explaining that everybody here obviously here already knows~~~~~~~ SHEESH"

but then one post later he will demonstrate that he understands nothing about science.
    Who said anything about science? Don't tell you you are also dumb enought to think we got this complex world from....BIG BANG....are you really that dumb?

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    Name
    You pronounce my name "Kwah-li," any questions?
    I bring many blessings with my man Hi-Tek and he from the 'Natti....
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    College
    Boise State Broncos

He's like that with every topic, tbh.... for instance:

"All these dumb kids don't know about football.....OK???? Sheesh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"

And then he makes a list of the best Chargers running backs and leaves out Tomlinson

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Who said anything about science? Don't tell you you are also dumb enought to think we got this complex world from....BIG BANG....are you really that dumb?
    just because you don't understand the theory... that doesn't make the theory dumb

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    He's like that with every topic, tbh.... for instance:

"All these dumb kids don't know about football.....OK???? Sheesh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"

And then he makes a list of the best Chargers running backs and leaves out Tomlinson
    And look at al the "action" that got, just like I knew it would, hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

The with the fact I've listed the top Charger backs before with LT.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    just because you don't understand the theory... that doesn't make the theory dumb
    So I've never read anything at all about the BIG BANG theory, rigjht? So I know...0...about it, right?

So you are telling me that that's what really happened....right?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    So I've never read anything at all about the BIG BANG theory, rigjht? So I know...0...about it, right?
    that would be the most logical conclusion

So you are telling me that that's what really happened....right?
    i'm telling you the evidence points to the big bang. that is what scientific theory means.

for the millionth time, scientists didn't invent the idea of a big bang and then go out and try to find evidence to prove it. its completely the other way around.

^i know you'll respond to that with "I know that ~~~~sheesh" but then you will have a response that completely demonstrates the opposite

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    that would be the most logical conclusion

i'm telling you the evidence points to the big bang. that is what scientific theory means.

for the millionth time, scientists didn't invent the idea of a big bang and then go out and try to find evidence to prove it. its completely the other way around.

^i know you'll respond to that with "I know that ~~~~sheesh" but then you will have a response that completely demonstrates the opposite
    So that's what a theory is............dude, hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll try again....do..YOU... think this all came from a BIG BANG? DNA as complex as it is came from a....BANG.....right?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

I'll try again....do..YOU... think this all came from a BIG BANG? DNA as complex as it is came from a....BANG.....right?
    i think with the information we have available to us now, that its the most logical conclusion

scientific theories have been wrong before, and you can bet your ass that they'll have mistakes again. but the beauty of science is the willingness to not only accept when its wrong, but actually relish in being proven wrong

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i think with the information we have available to us now, that its the most logical conclusion

scientific theories have been wrong before, and you can bet your ass that they'll have mistakes again. but the beauty of science is the willingness to not only accept when its wrong, but actually relish in being proven wrong

So the egg and the sperm, DNA, the seasons, the distant from the sun, the rotation of the earth, gravity. all came about over something as crude as....BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but there is no way in that happened and only a fool would think it did.

BANG++++......then here comes the whale, the collie. the giant Seqouia, corn, cows, fleas, parrots.......hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    So the egg and the sperm, DNA, the seasons, the distant from the sun, the rotation of the earth, gravity. all came about over something as crude as....BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but there is no way in that happened and only a fool would think it did.

BANG++++......then here comes the whale, the collie. the giant Seqouia, corn, cows, fleas, parrots.......hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!
    what's so amusing to you about seasons, distance from the sun, rotation of objects, or gravity?

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Here comes the sun,

here comes the sun,

And I say,

It's alright.

Thread Information