Tonight, UFC President Dana White revealed exclusively to the Underground that the opening sequence for its PPV broadcast has been redone and the new introduction will be revealed this Saturday for UFC 143. The event will feature Nick Diaz fighting Carlos Condit for the interim welterweight championship in the main event.

The opening sequence, which has shown a Roman gladiator preparing for battle has often been critiqued by fans and although the sequence hasn’t been used by the UFC on its FOX and Fuel TV broadcasts, it had been present as most recent as this past UFC 142.

To quote the UFC President directly: “He’s been cut.”

We know what you’re thinking, what does this mean for Stemm? Well, we simply can’t answer that at the moment, but as long as “Face the Pain” isn’t replaced by one of those terrible Bee Gees/50 Cent mash-ups we are forced to sit through in between fights at actual UFC events, we imagine it will be fine. [Author's note: I actually saw Stemm open for Chimaira back in '04, unaware that they were the band behind the UFC theme song at the time. They put on a of a show, believe it or not. If you're a fan of metal, check out one of their better songs IMO here.] It does appear, however, that Canadian trainer Hovig Tchaderian will be taking the place of “gladiator guy” in the new sequence, which will apparently consist of a hand wrapping scene and a glorified entrance. Thrilling stuff.

http://www.cagepotato.com/on-this-da...ator-got-axed/
    Last edited by ace3g; 01-30-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: fix spelling in Title

Post Count
    That should have always remained.. It was classic to UFC..

Motivation for me... Stringer_Bell's Avatar
    Post Count
    That should have always remained.. It was classic to UFC..
    100% agreed.

I love that intro, the black/white interviews, and the nu-metal theme...it's the UFC, it's in your face, and it's freakin' entertaining and hypes the fans. I'm all for the UFC gaining more fans, but with the Fox presentation I feel that it's losing it's character a little more as time goes on.

I can't imagine why "fans" can want it gone, it's the closest thing to epic Pride intro that the world has left.

Post Count
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.. Seems like the Fox execs got into Dana and Lorenzo's heads a little bit with the marketing..

Post Count
    100% agreed.

I love that intro, the black/white interviews, and the nu-metal theme...it's the UFC, it's in your face, and it's freakin' entertaining and hypes the fans. I'm all for the UFC gaining more fans, but with the Fox presentation I feel that it's losing it's character a little more as time goes on.

I can't imagine why "fans" can want it gone, it's the closest thing to epic Pride intro that the world has left.
    I think Fox is doing a good overall job with the shows so far.. I LOVED UFC on FOX 2. 3 fights worked well in terms of setting up the fights and the commercials.. It was just so great to see a quality card on regular TV.. But UFC needs to retain some of what made them so popular in the first place.. They don't need an overhaul..

The open was created by Digital Domain Productions, a company founded by legendary film director James Cameron, whose resume includes "The Terminator," "Aliens" and "The anic." The music for the open was composed by award-winning film composer and music producer Hans Zimmer, who has written scores for motion pictures "The Lion King," "Crimson Tide," "The Dark Knight" and "Inception."

"Probably the most important part of this new piece is that it pays tribute to all the guys who have helped build the company and the sport over the last ten years during the Zuffa era," White said.The new PPV open, which is called "Evolution" and has a much different look and feel than the old Gladiator one, is a nod to the UFC's almost 19-year history. It kicks off in a simple dojo as Royce Gracie is tapping out Ken Shamrock at UFC 1 and gradually progresses through the greatest moments in UFC history until we find ourselves inside the Rogers Centre with 55,000 fans. In total, 18 different iconic UFC fights are featured, and the UFC made a point to highlight all seven current champs. There are no plans of changing the open in the near future because as White put it, "when we signed this deal with FOX, these are the guys, almost in chronological order who have helped us get here."
    http://www.mmafighting.com/news/2012...-been-defeated

Can't say I'm sad to see the intro go. Most of the production value was based around a time when the UFC was competing with and trying to steal market share from the WWE. Now that it has surpassed wrasslin' and gone mainstream I think its time for a change. I like the direction Fox is going, but I wish they would go away from the NFL theme. Just doesn't fit. A slightly toned down version of the way UFC Unleashed was presented would be perfect for network TV imo.

White Mormon Pride The TroutBum's Avatar
    Post Count
    Brock in there twice. ing Nate Quarry. Herring. Tim Sylvia. Yvel. Demetrious Johnson. Bonner x2. ing Frank Trigg.

These are the fighters that made the intro and were "who helped us get here." while two-time champ Frank Mir gets the shaft. Big Nog gets the shaft. Cro Cop gets the shaft. A hundred other fighters who deserve to be in the intro before the aforementioned heads got the shaft.

Mir is the one that really makes me scratch my head though. I know I'm a homer, but how do you leave him out? If you're forced to put on there TWICE, why not when Frank tapped his got ass? Or when he snapped Sylvia's arm. Or Nogs? Or submitted Tank Abbot? He was the first heavyweight to successfully use BJJ to win the le. How the he isn't considered "one who helped" is baffling. I guess this would explain why he can't seem to get a decent fight, and even though he keeps winning, he keeps getting tier and tier opponents/matchups. Gods, the UFC is making me ill.

Thread Information