Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know it's an extremely small NBA sample but I'm already convinced. He's looked strong in summer league, very solid with the Toros and he looked extremely comfortable tonight (and last game, for that matter).

What I like about Joseph:

1. He's by far the best defensive player of the backup point guard candidates. It's not even close. He has great instincts, deceptive size and athleticism, a hot motor and he reads plays well.

2. Joseph runs the show like a leader. He passes the eye-test as a point guard with the moxie to run the offense the way he sees fit. NBA PGs need to have a level of stubbornness to be effective ... and I see that in him.

3. His shot is improving rapidly. Last season, his jumper looked like a weather balloon. Now, he's shooting it with purpose, gets enough elevation and his release is pretty quick.

4. I don't see any ballhandling or passing fatal flaws. Joseph exhibits a lot of court vision and he can dribble in traffic while keeping his head up.

5. Joseph is a good fit next to Manu Ginobili. Due to his size, he can defend both ones and twos -- and that enables Ginobili to save energy defending the weakest opposing guard. On offense, his shooting allows him to play off the ball and create room for Ginobili to do what he do.

Pop starting Joseph tonight was a great move and I'm hoping it's a preview of things to come. Gary Neal, Patrick Mills and Nando De Colo have all shown intriguing skillsets but Joseph has a most complete package and he fits the mold of what the Spurs need in a backup point guard. Going with him full-time would be a bit of a gamble since he's so unproven but I believe it'd be the smart move -- both short-term and long-term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i always liked the guy, not just cuz he's a Longhorn. happy to see Pop make the move tonight. CoJo, and our system for developing players, deserve a lot of credit.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    word cojo haters its ok to come out now ................... same posters who hated on cojo hated on blair ...........................

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. I am extremely happy that CoJo got the nod to start, but I'm eqaully disappointed that he didn't get 25+ minutes. With 21 games left, this is not time to make everyone happy by distributing minutes among them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glad to see I wasn't the only one who felt this way.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Very impressed with his improvement. I hope he continues to get minutes while Parker is out whether he keeps the starting job or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    word cojo haters its ok to come out now ................... same posters who hated on cojo hated on blair ...........................
    Yeah I've supported Joseph. Blair just sucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree 100%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm definitely rooting for Cojo (even with the very small sample size).

Unfortunately I think Pop is going with Neal, no matter what.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he played probably as good as he can play, but yea I certainly agree. He is the best defensive point guard we have, and he lacks a glaring weakness on offense. If he puts together a couple more solid games before TP gets back he will have a legitimate case for being the primary backup in the playoffs. But we need to see him a bit more before he unseats Neal.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing against Nando, but if CoJo and Mills can hold their own or even better, they should be given minutes to develop. This applies to Nando as well if he is the one who is playing well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I personally had a feeling that Joseph was going to get a legit shot at winning the backup point job when he was called up on Thursday.

De Colo, Mills and Neal have all had their moments but by and large have failed miserably at being the backup point.

I wouldnt be shocked at all if he seizes this job going forward. As long as Tony comes back at 90% or better, this might be a huge blessing in disguise by giving Joseph the confidence he needs to be a point guard in the NBA.

The Spurs need Joseph to seize this chance, if only because the other 3 have sucked at the job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't really understand not giving him more minutes though. It's not like he's old. I guess Pop doesn't want to risk him getting injured though, Patty Mills and De Colo aren't exactly guys I'd want starting right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love CoJo............
    i hate Blair..........
    did I mention ............

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he played probably as good as he can play, but yea I certainly agree. He is the best defensive point guard we have, and he lacks a glaring weakness on offense. If he puts together a couple more solid games before TP gets back he will have a legitimate case for being the primary backup in the playoffs. But we need to see him a bit more before he unseats Neal.
    is this guy trolling?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paul Garcia PS ‏@24writer Pop on Cory Joseph: “I thought he did a fine job. I liked his defense, he was really sticking his nose in.” #Spurs #Pistons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5. Joseph is a good fit next to Manu Ginobili. Due to his size, he can defend both ones and twos -- and that enables Ginobili to save energy defending the weakest opposing guard. On offense, his shooting allows him to play off the ball and create room for Ginobili to do what he do.
    True, but it seemed like the gameplan tonight was to hide CoJo and put Manu on Calderon for a lot of minutes.

I definitely agree that he is the best option, but I think it might be too late in the season for him to earn the 10-12 minutes of backup PG duty in the playoffs we all know Pop is gonna give to Neal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop keeping Joseph on the bench when the game was already won was a sign that he values him a lot. If he plays this well the next couple of games he's easily the backup PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, but it seemed like the gameplan tonight was to hide CoJo and put Manu on Calderon for a lot of minutes.
    Calderon is a player Manu can defend. I'd rather have him on Calderon than players like Knight, Bynum or Stuckey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like his game.

Got an opportunity to start and did very well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    C'mon timvp you're stalling making side posts. We want quick grades

i kid. Good write up per par.
    Seriously though...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Elliott during the game mentioned that it was "real close" between Nando and CJ from coaches during camp on who would get back up PG minutes this season. So it isn't radical thinking that they liked the improvements CJ has made in Austin.

Also CJ has the ability to burn a defender that goes under screen with a 3 and like timvp said he can move over to spot up shooter when Manu takes over PG duties.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep Joseph pretty much has it all to play the back up point. He's athletic he can defend, shoot, dribble and run the pick and roll. Only thing he's got going against him is lack of nba expirence. But yeah he's the most complete of the back up point guards imho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is this guy trolling?
    are you trolling?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Calderon is a player Manu can defend. I'd rather have him on Calderon than players like Knight, Bynum or Stuckey.
    Exactly. Joseph is better suited to defend quicker guards and Ginobili's a better off-ball defender (and the Pistons run a lot of plays to get Calderon open for a 3).

Thread Information