My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    don't let the door hit you on the ass.

Asshole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he is well worth the $2.5 million in NBA terms. I would lilke to see his role reduced but, I hope he picks up that option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think in a reduced role he could be useful. The problem is, I don't see Pop having the patience to reduce his role and let some younger swingmen learn on the job. In addition, Pop went with him over Bowen. I wonder if there is a way to quantify the value of Bowen to the Spurs (especially in terms of wins) versus that of Finley. It does seem odd questioning Pop on the value of Bowen against another player (memories of 'discussions' with Ghost Writer and other Bowen haters about his value to the team come to mind).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Going forward, the Spurs will be better off if Finley decides to retire or play elsewhere. That being said, I appreciate the class, professionalism, and work ethic that Michael Finley exemplified.

I think Pop's affinity for Finley can be summed up in the numbers 322 out of 328. As in games played. After missing a handful of games early in his first season with the Spurs, Finley missed only 1 game in his last three years (the Denver game when Pop rested the starters). Over the course of 4 seasons when TD, TP, Manu, Fabb, Horry, Barry, Beno, Bonner, and Ian all were out for extended periods, Finley (and Bruce) always answered the bell. There is value in that, too.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What made print after today's exit interviews.

Michael Finley said he hadn't yet decided whether to opt into the final year of his contract with the Spurs. Finley is due $2.5 million, at his option.

"I haven't really thought about next year, to be quite honest," Finley said. "I'm going to sit back with my family now, enjoy this extended period of time off, and when the time comes that I have to make a decision about my future, that's when I'll make it."

That $2.5 million is free money to Finley, and he isn't likely to attract a better deal elsewhere. If Finley does return for a 15th season, it will probably be in a Spurs uniform.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the is free money anyways? His contract with Dallas is over, isn't it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the is free money anyways? His contract with Dallas is over, isn't it?
    Just another example of McDonald's atrocious writing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i can see him going back to dallas

hope he retires though

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do us all a favor and go somewhere else, please... (Finley).

If he opted out and came back for the vet min, I still wouldn't want him here. Pop would go braindead and play him again the first time someone younger F'ed up...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Him retiring would be a huge benefit to our cap situation... , offer him a assistant coach position at 2.5 million for one year if he retires, so he doesn't lose out. It would get him off our cap and free his roster spot; which I suspect would save Holt money in the long run!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't dislike Finley. I just dislike him in a Spurs uniform. It's time to move on.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After watching every worry that was voiced on this board when he was re-signed about him getting way too many minutes materialize, it is definitely time to say good-bye. He is just far too much of a temptation for Pop. You don't hold AA meetings in a bar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spot minutes off the bench. Older mentor type of player, we can't rely on him playing minutes like he did last season.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I'd love to have him back as an end of bench guy and mentor to the younger guys that hopefully will come in.

I don't think the temptation would be too great for Pop to start and play him 30+ minutes after watching his interview.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Him retiring would be a huge benefit to our cap situation... , offer him a assistant coach position at 2.5 million for one year if he retires, so he doesn't lose out. It would get him off our cap and free his roster spot; which I suspect would save Holt money in the long run!
    Finley's made something crazy like 130 million playing basketball. And he got a ring. He shouldn't get another dime from the Spurs.

George Hill: 2-Guard NewJerSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to go Findog. Thanks for your contributions in 2007 and stepping up your game a bit when we were lame early this season. Peace out. The real question is whether to bring Ime back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he comes back he should be the 12th man of the roster.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finley's made something crazy like 130 million playing basketball. And he got a ring. He shouldn't get another dime from the Spurs.
    Would you rather he collected that 2.5 million while occupying a roster spot and salary cap space (+ additional lux tax payments), or would you rather see him collect it as an "assistant coach"?

I have seen speculation that suggest the lux tax limit could be as low as 69.4 million next year,
    http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=886483

Our projected salary, http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...ries/spurs.jsp, is currently $70,309,916, if Finley takes up his option. BTW this includes no summer signings (ie not using the MLE, etc...). Finley not being on the player side of the payroll could easily be $7,000,000 to the franchise - 2,000,000 in tax paid, and $5,000,000 in disbursement missed...

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finley was okay, without him the Spurs would've been in the fuking lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quoting myself from another thread:

For the sake of argument, let's list only the fully guaranteed contracts for next year:

Parker/Hill
    Mason/Ginobili
    Finley (player option, likely picked up)
    Duncan/Mahinmi
    Bonner/Thomas
    Question is, if Finley chooses to retire, does the 3 slot become the #1 priority for the offseason? Otherwise, we're trying to fill the 2/3 position with some combination of Hill, Mason, and Ginobili, with some possible help from Bowen, Hairston, Marcus Williams, and James Gist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he still a lot beter than Mason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question on Finley's contract: this past season, he had what was effectively a no-trade clause because he had Bird Rights and was on a one-year contract. If he picks up this option, does he still have those veto rights, or do they go away under some technicality similar to "he is now on a two-year contract." ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will be very happy if Finley is off the roster at the opening of training camp.

If he's on it, the front office failed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spot minutes off the bench. Older mentor type of player, we can't rely on him playing minutes like he did last season.
    Agreed. He's not ideal but I don't know if there is alot out there that is much better. 10-20 minutes a game with a range of DNP-CD's would be fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After watching every worry that was voiced on this board when he was re-signed about him getting way too many minutes materialize, it is definitely time to say good-bye. He is just far too much of a temptation for Pop. You don't hold AA meetings in a bar.
    Nice.

Thread Information