My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A German policeman has been crowned world champion of the hybrid sport of chessboxing.

Bouts are composed of a maximum of 11 alternating rounds of chess and boxing, reports the Daily Telegraph.

After parrying American David 'Double D' Depto's punches, Frank Stoldt clinched the light-heavyweight le with a checkmate in the seventh round.

The match was fought in front of 1,200 raucous fans in Berlin in what is being touted as the ultimate in physical and mental combat.

The bout was organised by the World Chess Boxing Organisation which has the slogan: "Fighting is done in the ring and wars are waged on the board."

The rules of the game are simple. Checkmates or knock-outs result in instant victory. Fighters also triumph if the boxing match is stopped by the referee, or if their opponent times-out at the chess board.

If there is no winner after 11 rounds of punching and castling, victory is awarded to the fighter with the most points in the boxing ring.

The sport has already developed a strong following in central and eastern Europe, and the WCBO plans to expand its appeal next year with exhibition events in Los Angeles, Paris, Prague, Zurich and Moscow.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2590977.html

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I saw something on this on ESPN I think. It was pretty funny because this fighter got sick of playing chess and swept the board aside.

Thread Information