Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -Manu retires
    -Tim comes back for another season at least
    -Kawhi, Green, Baynes, and Harden 2.0 are retained
    -Beli, CoJo, and Errors are gone
    -Spurs sign a Manu replacement or at least another competent ball-handler/slasher
    -Spurs go hard after Aldridge

After that is a crapshoot.
    Aldridge will eat up almost all of their cap space, so going to be very hard to import a Manu replacement along with Aldridge. Perhaps you target a creator out there that you can deal Splitter for and pull the trigger if LMA gives thumbs up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You make a good point but I don't see the sense of not being able to resign green for too much money when Monta will probably demand more.
    Because without Gino (and I did point out *if manu retires*) we have 5-6 players that can't play. None of them know how to create their own shot. You don't have a floor general out there anymore.

The thing with Green is that he pretty much is the difference between the Spurs having a max or near-max deal to play with or not (again, if Manu retires and Tim takes whatever is left).

And if Manu is gone, besides paying Danny, they would need to go out there and find some sort of playmaker on top. And whoever that is, can't be expensive, has to be some sort of combo guard, and you probably will be lucky if he gives you the same floor game that Manu did in the last couple years.

So, I think the Spurs will take a hard look at the market before committing to spend a ton on Danny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge will eat up almost all of their cap space, so going to be very hard to import a Manu replacement along with Aldridge. Perhaps you target a creator out there that you can deal Splitter for and pull the trigger if LMA gives thumbs up.
    There will be plenty of cheap options out there should the Spurs follow this route (Barea, Linsanity, etc), and obviously one of Splitter or Diaw would have to be moved if Aldridge comes in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Priority one needs to hire an assist coach to work with Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get why people keep thinking Green's price tag will affect him being back. Really, the only number that matters is his cap hold. So the Spurs have to make a decision on whether to bring him back or not regardless of contract. Also, the Spurs are a team that's more likely to re-sign their own guys and then try to figure out how to bring in outside players, which is why they were willing to give Tony a max extension instead of seeing what free agency holds.

The Spurs aren't letting Green go for Aldridge, not when Diaw and/or Mills can be dumped for free or even for a return in assets. If the Spurs want LA, it'll be so they can have the most balanced SL in the league, not so they can lose four of their top six perimeter players in one off-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get why people keep thinking Green's price tag will affect him being back. Really, the only number that matters is his cap hold. So the Spurs have to make a decision on whether to bring him back or not regardless of contract.
    I disagree about this, but really, I think it depends on what happens with Manu. I don't think the Spurs want to spend $10m-$12m/year on Danny, and I could see some teams offering him that much.

Especially if Manu retires, in which case I think the Spurs really need to go out on the market and spend money, good money.

I ruled out Aldrige already. We can't afford him, and I'm not that high on him anyways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs were to land a max FA while retaining Green/Duncan/Leonard (assuming Manu retires) would they have to deal Splitter/Diaw/Mills?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree about this, but really, I think it depends on what happens with Manu. I don't think the Spurs want to spend $10m-$12m/year on Danny, and I could see some teams offering him that much.
    Why not? There's almost no difference between Green getting $12 Million and him getting $7 Million in relation to the team's financial flexibility. So provided the Spurs are being realistic with their offer to Green, there's no reason that he'd price himself out of their range.

I just think it's wrong-headed to think the Spurs would let go of Green, Manu and Beli (who they'd be able to keep under this scenario) in addition to Joseph just so they could pay for Monta Ellis to line up between Tony and Kawhi. They'd be much better off chasing a penetrator with the MLE, through the draft or from a trade. Plus, Anderson is actually a fine penetrator. I think he'd do well in that role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs were to land a max FA while retaining Green/Duncan/Leonard (assuming Manu retires) would they have to deal Splitter/Diaw/Mills?
    Yes. Very much so. Unless they could offload Parker for free, of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not? There's almost no difference between Green getting $12 Million and him getting $7 Million in relation to the team's financial flexibility. So provided the Spurs are being realistic with their offer to Green, there's no reason that he'd price himself out of their range.
    Of course there's a difference, and it does have an impact on the team's financial flexibility in the future. I personally would like Danny back, but I also think the Spurs have a value in mind, and I suspect it's different to what you or other teams might think it is.

I just think it's wrong-headed to think the Spurs would let go of Green, Manu and Beli (who they'd be able to keep under this scenario) in addition to Joseph just so they could pay for Monta Ellis to line up between Tony and Kawhi. They'd be much better off chasing a penetrator with the MLE, through the draft or from a trade. Plus, Anderson is actually a fine penetrator. I think he'd do well in that role.
    I think they'll already know about Manu by then. As far as Anderson, I don't even know if he's an NBA player yet. If Tim comes back for another rodeo, but Manu isn't, I expect the team to look for a solid reinforcement for the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2 roles which should be given attention this summer is: a back-up sf so when Pop sits both DG and kawhi smh and a replacement of the "Manu role" which, if we can get lucky, that back-up sf will provide.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The beauty and the reassuring thing about these Spurs is that they have amazing ability to develop talent. Honestly, I don't think Danny Green would be the player he is had anyone else kept him on the team. Look at all these 'scrubby' type players they bring in and they end up being great contributors. I'm comforted in this and I know that they will find some guys to plug-n-play as always

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about Paul Milsap ?

Drunk on the Riverwalk Matty2Cool's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    offseason in May? wtf
    Feels weird as . I don't even know who I am anymore

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This will be the most interesting and eventful offseason in a long time. They didn't extend Kawhi last year when it had already been clear he was a max player, so they must expect to get creative with that cap space even if they don't land a max player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this realistic roster for next season?
    PG-Parker/Mills/draft
    SG-Green/Stucky/Bertans
    SF-Laonard/Ginobili/Anderson
    PF-Milsap/Diaw/Jean-Charles
    C-Duncan/Splitter/draft
    Last edited by kobyz; 05-04-2015 at 04:11 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ricky Ledo anyone?
    Long, athletic and can shoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see us getting a big name FA.

Best case scenario imo is:

Bringing back Duncan (please Tim!!!), Leonard, Green, Diaw, Baynes, CoJo (yeah cojo is unrealistic and probably he deserves an bigger gick on another team) and even Manu (hopefully he is willing to come back for something like a 5mio/deal that only has him playing like half the season+playoffs).

Let the rest walk (Beli, Bonner, Errors, Williams).

Bring over Ledo and draft someone.

So basically keeping the band together in hope of TP9 having a better year (not sure if realistic). It's not like we where that far off...Most experts had us at the second best contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see the Spurs going after somebody like Monta if Manu retires and Green just takes too much money to re-sign.

Other than that, I see Tim returning, and pretty much the same group of guys. Maybe Beli gone. Bonner and Ayres hopefully are gone too.
    The problem with this, is you're giving up size. Green can and Manu can guard the 2, and 3. Ellis is too small to guard the 3 imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Monday morning. No Spurs game to watch tonight. Reality of the situation is sinking in.

Holy , this is going to be a long offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get why people keep thinking Green's price tag will affect him being back. Really, the only number that matters is his cap hold. So the Spurs have to make a decision on whether to bring him back or not regardless of contract. Also, the Spurs are a team that's more likely to re-sign their own guys and then try to figure out how to bring in outside players, which is why they were willing to give Tony a max extension instead of seeing what free agency holds.

The Spurs aren't letting Green go for Aldridge, not when Diaw and/or Mills can be dumped for free or even for a return in assets. If the Spurs want LA, it'll be so they can have the most balanced SL in the league, not so they can lose four of their top six perimeter players in one off-season.
    The only number that matters is the cap hold...until he signs. If a team is aggressive in their pursuit of Green, it may force the FO's hand early in the process. Once he's signed at a number higher than his cap hold, the Spurs lose that cap flexibility right? There is an "order of operations" thing that could play out where the Spurs lose the ability to max another player, unless I'm mistaken.

I get that there are other pieces to the puzzle, but the contract situation with Danny is a pretty big one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course there's a difference, and it does have an impact on the team's financial flexibility in the future. I personally would like Danny back, but I also think the Spurs have a value in mind, and I suspect it's different to what you or other teams might think it is.
    C'mon Nono, that's deflection. The Spurs aren't going to not re-sign Green because he may make $3 Million more in 2017 than they think he's worth. Especially if Tim comes back, the Spurs will try to build the best team they can and let the chips fall where they may for the future. Obviously, with the cap going up, no one's pinching pennies beyond this off-season as it is. None of that negates the fact that you think there's a value where Green's not worth it, that you're en led to that opinion and that the Spurs may share that opinion. But there's simply no roster-financial reason why the Spurs care how much it takes to re-sign Green if they are willing to work with his cap hold. And they certainly won't shunt his cap hold for Monta Ellis.

I think they'll already know about Manu by then. As far as Anderson, I don't even know if he's an NBA player yet. If Tim comes back for another rodeo, but Manu isn't, I expect the team to look for a solid reinforcement for the bench.
    Sure, but that's irrelevant, because we're assuming in this case that Manu doesn't come back (based on the hypotheticals you established with earlier posts). That's the whole reason why you think the Spurs would sacrifice Green, since a bench creator would be more pressing in your mind. But the Spurs have never been a team that sacrifices for the sake of roster needs. They rolled with holes at starting wings and at backup PG for years. Especially when the team has so many alternative avenues to acquire talent, it simply doesn't make sense to wreck the SL trying to fix the bench.

As far as Anderson goes, the thing I have the most faith in his ability to drive out of all of his skills. If he gets into a position where he has to be the bench's playmaker. He'll be in the paint as much as anyone can hope for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only number that matters is the cap hold...until he signs. If a team is aggressive in their pursuit of Green, it may force the FO's hand early in the process. Once he's signed at a number higher than his cap hold, the Spurs lose that cap flexibility right? There is an "order of operations" thing that could play out where the Spurs lose the ability to max another player, unless I'm mistaken.

I get that there are other pieces to the puzzle, but the contract situation with Danny is a pretty big one.
    How would another team force the spurs hand? It's green (and agent) who control the contract. Other teams who want green will prefer he not drag his contract negotiations out, but I assume we've built up goodwill with green that he won't leave immediately. So, the spirit of your statement is probably correct but the mechanism for operation is wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If a team offers Green X amount of money, and the Spurs say "We'll match it", then there's no reason to dive on the contract immediately. This is especially true in the NBA, where there is a 10-day waiting period for teams and players to discuss contracts without any pens being allowed to go to paper. I expect the Spurs to know the bulk of their acquisitions before that period ends.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want manu to come back.
    No thanks.

Thread Information