Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then what happens? If still wants out and he walks for free next summer then what for the Spurs? Do they blow it up, rebuild? Would they then try and move LMA (would he be on his last yr of contract). I would hope FO has some time of plan already in place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then what happens? If still wants out and he walks for free next summer then what for the Spurs? Do they blow it up, rebuild? Would they then try and move LMA (would he be on his last yr of contract). I would hope FO has some time of plan already in place.
    If they don’t get good offers this summer, I can see them doing what OKC did with Harden: take into camp, but not into the season. They moved The Beard in October. The only thing you can’t do is get nothing. You move him at the deadline if he’s still here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i am not watching till this drama is over. Not as a protest, i just like to know what team i have.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop watching nba. Its for kids

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can trade him to the WNBA too, don't forget that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They may need Kawhi to play so he can establish his value by showing he’s healthy and still an all NBA first team talent. That’s if they don’t want discounted offers. That said, if he’s not traded by camp, a lot of his value goes down bc teams that trade for him outside LA will need time to convince him to stay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kawhi really tries screwing SA over not trading him may happen. It’s unlikely, but if Kawhi doesn’t do his part to make things palatable I can see SA saying fine, we have no choice but to hold onto you.

Again, that is worst case scenario, but it would not be the first time we’ve seen this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kawhi really tries screwing SA over not trading him may happen. It’s unlikely, but if Kawhi doesn’t do his part to make things palatable I can see SA saying fine, we have no choice but to hold onto you.

Again, that is worst case scenario, but it would not be the first time we’ve seen this.
    Yes not until recently have I thought of this, but it could go down like this. Also while you might not get anything for him in this scenario, you will have about $40 million you can spend elsewhere.

Not having a clear understanding of how the CBA works we might not have be able to spend that much, but his salary would be off the books I'm thinking.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol delusional PATFO fluffers.

If you won't get anything for Kawhi on a 1-yr deal, you won't get when he has half a season left. Dull as always. Drunkford better be a good lapdog and do as Kawhi pleases.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you won't get anything for Kawhi on a 1-yr deal, you won't get when he has half a season left.
    If he doesn't sign an extension you won't get much and in that scenario there's is not much motivation for them to do anything.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    is kawhi even suiting up next season ? ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one knows yet; Kawhi and his hand picked team of doctors have given zero updates on if the last 8 months have led to any more clarity.

He’s been with his most recent NY doctor for 3 months, but he and his team have controlled their doctors/rehab for 8 months now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you know pick the lottery tickets numbers for me

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at it as a relationship thing vs a value thing. Kawhi healthy has immense value. A ton. But this is about leverage/relationship.

Both parties have leverage over each other to varying degrees:

1) Kawhi can hurt the Spurs by playing hard ball and telling teams that try to trade for him that he will sit out and/or will not re-sign. That really limits what the Spurs will get in return. That doesn’t mean an OKC like team won’t take a swing, but even that is reduced value compared to if he has a wide list of teams and plays good soldier to let SA work a good deal that fits both parties well.

2) Spurs can say to Kawhi, we could have offered 219M but you and your team messed up and if you continue to act like a jerk we will just hold you and force you to walk to a team in free agency which means going down to 140M contract from where you could have had 219M. SA trading Kawhi means he can get 180M so they have 40M in leverage there outside of the additional 40M SuperMax.

So if both play hard ball they can hurt each other but if they play somewhat nice they should be able to find a decent enough deal. Just depends on the relationship and how much money Kawhi is willing to cost himself.
    Last edited by DPG21920; 05-20-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have him play out the first 10 or 20 games to re-establish himself as an All-NBA talent. If he's back to his normal self then it puts pressure on teams like the Celtics,Sixers to offer more than just crumbs for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They may need Kawhi to play so he can establish his value by showing he’s healthy and still an all NBA first team talent. That’s if they don’t want discounted offers. That said, if he’s not traded by camp, a lot of his value goes down bc teams that trade for him outside LA will need time to convince him to stay.
    Have him play out the first 10 or 20 games to re-establish himself as an All-NBA talent. If he's back to his normal self then it puts pressure on teams like the Celtics,Sixers to offer more than just crumbs for him.
    Only if you think he wasnt injured this season. But if he was and can't establish him as a top player again..In this case, how much would lose the Spurs for not trading him in offseason?
    No one team would give a for him after they realize he's not the same player.

His injury and prognosis -if it's chronic, if it's some type of career altering injury- was one of the reasons for refusing to give him the supermax deal, I doubt that playing him some games next season will increase his value

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only if you think he wasnt injured this season. But if he was and can't establish him as a top player again..In this case, how much would lose the Spurs for not trading him in offseason?

His injury and prognosis -if it's chronic, if it's some type of career altering injury- was one of the reasons for refusing to give him the supermax deal, I doubt that playing him some games next season will increase his value
    It's still worth taking the risk since the Spurs are only getting bread crumb offerings for him. No team is offering star talent for Kawhi. So if Kawhi ends up being washed up next year then the Spurs just lost out on getting good role players.

You have read my posts before so you know I believe the injury is bs that's why I'm willing to take the risk of him playing 10-20 games next year to increase his value.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    if kawhi comes back close to where he was and doesn't have more health issues then he's winning mvp somewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at it as a relationship thing vs a value thing. Kawhi healthy has immense value. A ton. But this is about leverage/relationship.

Both parties have leverage over each other to varying degrees:

1) Kawhi can hurt the Spurs by playing hard ball and telling teams that try to trade for him that he will sit out and/or will not re-sign. That really limits what the Spurs will get in return. That doesn’t mean an OKC like team won’t take a swing, but even that is reduced value compared to if he has a wide list of teams and plays good soldier to let SA work a good deal that fits both parties well.

2) Spurs can say to Kawhi, we could have offered 219M but you and your team messed up and if you continue to act like a jerk we will just hold you and force you to walk to a team in free agency which means going down to 140M contract from where you could have had 219M. SA trading Kawhi means he can get 180M so they have 40M in leverage there outside of the additional 40M SuperMax.

So if both play hard ball they can hurt each other but if they play somewhat nice they should be able to find a decent enough deal. Just depends on the relationship and how much money Kawhi is willing to cost himself.
    In the first case the player gets not being traded a team he doesn't want.

What does the team get in the 2nd case? The player loses money but what gets the team after playing hard ball? Do the Spurs gain the money the player loses in some way?

IDK..Better to trade him in this next offseason than losing him for nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's still worth taking the risk since the Spurs are only getting bread crumb offerings for him. No team is offering star talent for Kawhi. So if Kawhi ends up being washed up next year then the Spurs just lost out on getting good role players.

You have read my posts before so you know I believe the injury is bs that's why I'm willing to take the risk of him playing 10-20 games next year to increase his value.
    If true that the Sixers are willing to give those many picks for Kawhi that sounds way better than the Spurs would get for him if he's injured.

But you think he's healthy so you will take the risk. I don't share your perspective but I get your point.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Celtics have absolutely ZERO pressure to trade for Kawhi with a healthy Irving and Hayward being back. You're also betting on Philly whiffing on Lebron or George.

If what you get in the offseason is "crumbs", then that is what you will get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the first case the player gets not being traded a team he doesn't want.

What does the team get in the 2nd case? The player loses money but what gets the team after playing hard ball? Do the Spurs gain the money the player loses in some way?

IDK..Better to trade him in this next offseason than losing him for nothing.
    Sure, he gets not being traded to a team he doesn’t want; but the question how many teams is he willing to play for. If he tells Spurs it’s Lakers or bust, then SA might say they have nothing we want.

The team gets nothing but that is the leverage they have. There is a point where if Kawhi is limiting their choices and they don’t like the options that hurting Kawhi becomes the main goal vs allowing him to win for the sake of getting a “return” you don’t really care for. SA sets a tone with agents/players that if you screw us over and think that will work, you will pay dearly for that in terms of your money which usually gets people’s attention. I wouldn’t be mad either; you don’t negotiate with terriost basically. If you want to play that game, then fine, eat 80M guaranteed to go where you want to go.

It probably wont come to that, but if it’s toxic I can see it happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If his value is low enough to the point where they have to do this, there is nothing more to lose. But even if SA thinks long-term that he won’t be the same player but he’s 90% after playing some teams will up their offers. He may end up 70% 3 years from now, but that won’t show up playing 20 games now.

You are also assuming the injury is the reason or only reason for not getting the SuperMax. I can see your perspective some if you believe that but I believe that is only part of the reason why he’s not likely to get the SM deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Celtics have absolutely ZERO pressure to trade for Kawhi with a healthy Irving and Hayward being back. You're also betting on Philly whiffing on Lebron or George.

If what you get in the offseason is "crumbs", then that is what you will get.
    Actually the Celtics would have pressure to trade for Kawhi if your scenario played out of the Sixers getting Lebron James. There is a rumor where the Sixers could get both Lebron and PG. I personally think PG is LA bound and won't go to the Sixers unless Lebron is also going there. Realistically Celtics need a superstar perimeter player to match up with the Sixers if they get Lebron. Tatum and Brown are not there yet at that level while Kawhi is if he's healthy. Anyways I'm willing to risk losing Kawhi for nothing if the offer is just crumbs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team gets nothing
    Then I wouldn't call it an option when both sides lose.

SA sets a tone with agents/players that if you screw us over and think that will work, you will pay dearly for that in terms of your money which usually gets people’s attention. I wouldn’t be mad either; you don’t negotiate with terriost basically. If you want to play that game, then fine, eat 80M guaranteed to go where you want to go.
    That would set the tone...Also, it would tell other players/agents that the Spurs' way is too hard and inflexible. Many talented FAs would want to find a more friendly franchise.

I laughed when other franchises couldn't keep their best players...I laughed when Jazz refused to give Harwayd the max in 2014..When OKC traded Harden. Now, other fans are laughing of the Spurs losing Kawhi...This works like that Jef fMcDonald's tweet "it's their turn"

Thread Information