Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Locally, not globally.

Agreed or disagree.
    Localized climate change: Agree. That is what the science supports, if the news story is accurate.
    Global climate change: disagree, because that isn't what the science says.

Not making a distinction between the two is either ignorant or dishonest.

Which caused you not to make the distinction in your mentions of the studies you read, ignorance, or dishonesty?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I don't care if you believe me or not and I'm not going to search for the study again. My integrity is OK for the people I know personally. Over the years, do you have cause to call me a liar?
    Liar, not quite. Not fully honest? Most assuredly. Misreading things? Yes.

You fight very very hard not to have to admit being wrong about anything, and that has forced you into some intellectually dishonest corners.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There was an alarmist study that was saying how good wind power was, and said the effects of changes in turbulence, evaporation, etc, only amounted to 1/6th the warming that CO2 causes. Now I didn't look up the study they referred to for CO2 warming, but I assume they used the IPCC levels which I am certain gives CO2 greater warming than it really does.
    Feel free to submit that theory to peer review. Until then your certainty means about as much as the theory that the moon landings were faked in a studio.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Localized climate change: Agree. That is what the science supports, if the news story is accurate.
    Global climate change: disagree, because that isn't what the science says.

Not making a distinction between the two is either ignorant or dishonest.

Which caused you not to make the distinction in your mentions of the studies you read, ignorance, or dishonesty?
    I made the distinction, you just didn't understand. That's not my fault, and it seems typical that you jump to conclusion.

The figure of wind power causing 1/6th the warming of CO2 is based on the amount of CO2 required to produce the same electricity as the wind power plants do.

I specifically said in post 36:

The only studies that quantified the warming caused by windmills claimed approximately 1/6th the warming of the CO2 they replace from fossil fuel burning.

What don't you get?

Need everything spelled out for you?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Liar, not quite. Not fully honest? Most assuredly. Misreading things? Yes.

You fight very very hard not to have to admit being wrong about anything, and that has forced you into some intellectually dishonest corners.
    I am wrong on occasion, but dishonest? No. Please show me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas Breaks Wind Power Production Record

Texas, the nation’s largest wind power producer, hit a major milestone in March when it produced more wind power in a given moment than ever before, according to a new Energy Information Administration report.

It may have set a national record for a state’s wind power production, too.

The Lone Star State hit “peak wind” at 8:48 p.m. on March 26, when the state’s wind farms produced 10,296 megawatts of electricity. At that moment, wind turbines provided enough electricity to supply power for 29 percent of the total electricity load of the state’s main power grid.

Texas’ self-contained power grid, operated by ERCOT, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, supplies power to all the state’s major cities — about 85 percent of the state’s electric power customers — except El Paso, Amarillo, Lubbock and those along Texas' eastern border.

Though the March 26 wind power output record supplied 29 percent of ERCOT’s load at that moment, wind power has provided for a larger share — up to 38.43 percent — of the load at times of low demand, EIA industry economist April Lee said.

“Texas leads the nation in wind capacity, more than double the next state (California), so it’s safe to say that no other state has come close so far,” Lee said via email. “The recent peak is generally indicative of the increasing amount of wind capacity across the United States and the need for grid operators to manage growing volumes of wind power on their systems.”

Texas has more than 12,000 megawatts of total wind power capacity, but its turbines have never produced that much electricity at any given moment. The March 26 output record beat a record set the previous week by a few megawatt hours. Both of those blew past the state’s previous wind power record set in May 2013, when output reached 9,674 megawatts (one megawatt of wind power is enough energy to provide electricity to roughly 300 homes).

Total hourly wind power generation for Texas' self-contined power grid, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas grid, for the month of March 2014. On March 26, the state hit its all-time record for wind power generation, exceeding 10,000 megawatts in any given moment for the first time.
    Credit: EIA

Lee said she does not have information about any nationwide wind power output record because many electric regions do not publish wind generation data publicly.
    Though Texas is the nation’s largest wind power producer, it’s also the nation’s largest producer of crude oil and biggest emitter of greenhouse gases, mainly from power plants. Renewables rank third for electric power generation in Texas behind natural gas and coal, but ahead of nuclear.

One of the reasons Texas is seeing growth in consumption of wind power is the completion of major renewable energy transmission line projects in 2013.

Since 2008, when the Texas Legislature named 10 companies to complete the transmission projects by the end of last year as part of the creation of compe ive renewable energy zones, approximately 3,600 miles of 345 kilovolt power lines were built connecting West Texas renewable power source with eastern Texas cities, said Robbie Searcy, spokeswoman for ERCOT.

Wind power production in Texas is expected to increase as new wind farms come online. More than 7,000 megawatts of wind capacity were under construction at the end of 2013, and many of those wind farms are expected to be completed by the end of 2015.

Within ERCOT’s region alone, more than 26,000 megawatts of potential wind power generation capacity are under study, Searcy said.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/t...r-record-17650

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the state are errecting these wind power farms, shouldnt ur bills be decreasing since its not using fossil fuels?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the state are errecting these wind power farms, shouldnt ur bills be decreasing since its not using fossil fuels?
    I read an article that said TX' electricity spot prices were held down by wind power while other states were having higher, more volatile spot prices.

Any cost advantage to TX wind power is pocketed by the electricity utilities, of course, not passed on to customers. TX electricity execs Have "To Put Food On Their Families"
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 06-27-2014 at 05:23 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A New Wind Turbine Generates Back The Energy It Takes To Build It In Just 6 Months

A new study finds that wind turbines have an energy payback of 6 months, which is comparable to the best solar photovoltaic systems. In other words, in their first six months of operation, large wind turbines produce the same total amount of energy that was needed to produce and install them.

That is the conclusion of a comprehensive life-cycle assessment of 2-megawatt wind turbines by Oregon State researchers in the International Journal of Sustainable Manufacturing (subs. req’d).

The myth that wind and solar power are bad investments from an energy-payback perspective has been around for years. It even turned up in the error-riddled 2009 book “Superfreakonomics,” repeated by Nathan Myhrvold, former CTO of Microsoft.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...back-solar-pv/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Germany has an aggressive NATIONAL RENEWABLE ENERGY POLICY. one result:

Germany’s New Coal Plants Push Power Glut to 4-Year High

Germany is headed for its biggest electricity glut since 2011 as new coal-fired plants start and generation of wind and solar energy increases, weighing on power prices that have already dropped for three years.

Utilities from RWE AG to EON SE are poised to bring units online from December that can supply 8.2 million homes, 20 percent of the nation’s total, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. That will increase spare capacity in Europe’s biggest power market to 17 percent of peak demand, say the four companies that operate the nation’s high-voltage grids. The benchmark German electricity contract has slumped 36 percent since the end of 2010.

The new coal plants are starting as Germany aims to almost double renewable-power generation over the next decade. Wind and solar output has priority grid access by law and floods the market on sunny and breezy days, curbing running hours for nuclear, coal and gas plants, and pushing power prices lower.

The profit margin for eight utilities in Germany narrowed to 5.4 percent last year from 15 percent a decade ago.

Related:
    EU Seen Curbing Coal Use by Quadrupling Carbon Price

“The new plants will run at current prices, but they won’t cover their costs,” Ricardo Klimaschka, a power trader at Energieunion GmbH who has bought and sold electricity for 14 years, said June 25 by e-mail from Schwerin, Germany. “The utilities will make much less money than originally thought with their new units because they counted on higher power prices.”

Nine-Year Low

German power for delivery next year, a European benchmark, slumped to a nine-year low of 33.65 euros ($45.82) a megawatt-hour on April 3 on the European Energy Exchange AG in Leipzig, Germany, and settled at 34.45 euros today. The contract fell 5.6 percent this year, more than respective drops of 1.8 percent and 4.4 percent for the equivalent French and Nordic prices. German next-year electricity may reach 33.45 euros, according to Arendal, Norway-based energy-analysis firm Markedskraft ASA.
    Confronting Coal

Lower prices “leave a trail of blood in our balance sheet,” Bernhard Guenther, chief financial officer at RWE, Germany’s biggest power producer, said May 14 on a conference call after the company lowered its goal for annual net income.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-26/germany-s-new-coal-plants-push-power-glut-to-4-year-high.html

From above, it's easy to see why for-profit/capitalistic US electric utilities and Edison Electric Ins ute, are fighting like to kill disruptive distributed solar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Germany has an aggressive NATIONAL RENEWABLE ENERGY POLICY. one result:

Germany’s New Coal Plants Push Power Glut to 4-Year High

Germany is headed for its biggest electricity glut since 2011 as new coal-fired plants start and generation of wind and solar energy increases, weighing on power prices that have already dropped for three years.

Utilities from RWE AG to EON SE are poised to bring units online from December that can supply 8.2 million homes, 20 percent of the nation’s total, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. That will increase spare capacity in Europe’s biggest power market to 17 percent of peak demand, say the four companies that operate the nation’s high-voltage grids. The benchmark German electricity contract has slumped 36 percent since the end of 2010.

The new coal plants are starting as Germany aims to almost double renewable-power generation over the next decade. Wind and solar output has priority grid access by law and floods the market on sunny and breezy days, curbing running hours for nuclear, coal and gas plants, and pushing power prices lower.

The profit margin for eight utilities in Germany narrowed to 5.4 percent last year from 15 percent a decade ago.

Related:
    EU Seen Curbing Coal Use by Quadrupling Carbon Price

“The new plants will run at current prices, but they won’t cover their costs,” Ricardo Klimaschka, a power trader at Energieunion GmbH who has bought and sold electricity for 14 years, said June 25 by e-mail from Schwerin, Germany. “The utilities will make much less money than originally thought with their new units because they counted on higher power prices.”

Nine-Year Low

German power for delivery next year, a European benchmark, slumped to a nine-year low of 33.65 euros ($45.82) a megawatt-hour on April 3 on the European Energy Exchange AG in Leipzig, Germany, and settled at 34.45 euros today. The contract fell 5.6 percent this year, more than respective drops of 1.8 percent and 4.4 percent for the equivalent French and Nordic prices. German next-year electricity may reach 33.45 euros, according to Arendal, Norway-based energy-analysis firm Markedskraft ASA.
    Confronting Coal

Lower prices “leave a trail of blood in our balance sheet,” Bernhard Guenther, chief financial officer at RWE, Germany’s biggest power producer, said May 14 on a conference call after the company lowered its goal for annual net income.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-26/germany-s-new-coal-plants-push-power-glut-to-4-year-high.html

From above, it's easy to see why for-profit/capitalistic US electric utilities and Edison Electric Ins ute, are fighting like to kill disruptive distributed solar.

it is not state or taxpayers job to protect these fkn morons bottom dollar, fkn already privatized and should be getting with the times....only possible reason why these fkn clowns continue to protected by the state with their business model is due to fkn oxymoron politicians who have a festive interest in these companies in regards to stockholdings...its fkn pathetic honestly...

5% or 1% profit is a still a profit, why are they complaining...fck them...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 New Energy Maps Show A Lot About Renewables

When the U.S. Energy Information Administration launched its new U.S. Energy Mapping System last fall and upgraded it for use on mobile devices in early June, it powered a system allowing anyone to visualize some of the reams of data the EIA compiles on all things energy-related in the country.That mapping system has a lot to show about renewables — critical to reducing climate change-driving greenhouse gas emissions — and the spread of renewables development across the continent.

Here are four cool things the new Energy Mapping System can show you about where renewable energy is being produced and where it has the potential to be generated in the future:

1. Wind Turbines Are Being Built In Places You May Not Expect

The wind farms in the U.S. and the wind power production potential of each state. The darker the shade of brown, the lower the wind potential. The light blue signifies higher wind potential and the dark blue signifies the highest wind potential. Credit: EIA

Texas, Colorado, Wyoming and Oklahoma have huge wind power potential, and giant wind farms, too. Large swathes of the East have very low wind power potential. But because Appalachian ridge tops see high sustained winds, the EIA’s maps show the pattern of wind farms that have been built throughout the Northeast in regions that otherwise have little wind power potential.

This is especially true in Pennsylvania, where wind farms sprawl along ridge tops in regions that, at first blush, look like there is little wind potential at all. But Pennsylvania generated 2.1 million megawatt hours of wind power in 2012, about as much as windy New Mexico, EIA data show.BLUE New York, another Northeast state shown on the EIA map as having little wind potential, generated even more wind power than RED Pennsylvania in 2012.

New York produced nearly 3 million megawatt hours of wind power in 2012, about half that of Colorado.
    The maps also show large areas of the U.S. with high wind power potential going untapped, especially in South Dakota and along the Colorado Front Range near Denver. These areas are highlighted in bright blue on the map.

2. The Cloudier Northeast Has Its Share Of Solar Power

The solar power potential of the contiguous U.S. and the sites of most of the nation’s solar power generating facilities. The darker the shade of brown, the greater the solar power production potential of an area. Credit: EIA

The EIA’s map shows that many solar power plants are where you’d expect them to be — in Arizona, Nevada and California where sunny skies are the defining feature of the climate there. But solar power plants are also spread throughout New Jersey, New York and New England, where the solar power potential is fairly low.
    Sure, some of the nation’s largest solar power plants are in Arizona and California, but the map shows that, though the solar power plants in the Northeast are generally small, solar can be done there, too.3. Biomass Power Production Is All Over, But Mainly In The East And Midwest New Jersey, for example, produced about twice as much solar power in 2012 as sunny Colorado did and nearly a third more solar power in 2012 as Florida, where the solar power potential is significantly greater than anywhere in the Northeast.EIA data show that New Jersey produced 304,000 megawatt hours of solar power that year, while Florida produced 194,000 megawatt hours and Colorado produced 165,000.

The biomass power production potential and biomass power plants scattered across the Lower 48 states. The darker the shade of green, the greater the biomass power production potential. Biomass power plants can be anything from solid waste incinerators to landfills generating power from burning methane emissions. Credit: EIA

Biomass energy comes from many different sources, primarily the burning of wood and wood products and capturing and burning landfill gas and other waste gases. Nationally, more than 57 million megawatt hours of electricity were produced from biomass sources in 2012, with Florida and California producing the most biomass energy.
    But the EIA maps show that most facilities producing biomass electricity are concentrated in the Northeast, Upper Midwest and South, especially around Miami, Chicago, Detroit and New York City.The power plants shown on the EIA map use a wide range of sources of fuel to produce electricity. For example, The Covanta Essex Company’s 60 megawatt Covanta Essex resource recovery plant in Essex County, N.J., produces electricity by burning more than 2,800 tons of municipal solid waste each day. An irrigation district in Turlock, Calif., burns methane produced from the treatment of wastewater to generate 1.2 megawatts of electricity.

4. The U.S. Has Great Geothermal Potential; Most Of It Is Untapped

The geothermal power production potential across the country and the sites of current geothermal power plants in the U.S. The darker the shade of brown, the higher the geothermal power production potential of the area. Credit: EIA

Nevada, California, Utah, New Mexico, western Colorado are all places with large geothermal resources (heat from places where molten rock comes relatively close to the earth’s surface). But nationwide, there are only a handful of geothermal power plants, which in 2012 produced about 15.5 million megawatt hours of electricity, mostly in California, where geothermal accounts for roughly 5 percent of the state’s power generation, according to EIA data.
    Geothermal power generation has been slow, according to EIA data, mainly because of the cost and risk involved in building new geothermal power plants, which can take up to eight years longer to complete than wind and solar power generating facilities.

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/06/30/...eanTechnica%29

Last edited by boutons_deux; 07-02-2014 at 01:01 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 New Energy Maps Show A Lot About RenewablesWhen the U.S. Energy Information Administration launched its new U.S. Energy Mapping System
    good info from the Ministry of Truth

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

This is especially true in Pennsylvania, where wind farms sprawl along ridge tops in regions that, at first blush, look like there is little wind potential at all. But Pennsylvania generated 2.1 million megawatt hours of wind power in 2012, about as much as windy New Mexico, EIA data show.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]BLUE New York, another Northeast state shown on the EIA map as having little wind potential, generated even more wind power than RED Pennsylvania in 2012.
    Why are you always a partisan ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [B][SIZE=3][FONT=arial][B]4 New Energy Maps Show A Lot About Renewables
    Cool. Thanks. It was interesting reading.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wattsa matta, can't handle the truth that your Repugs suck horribly, do NOTHING for America, and the Dems suck less?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here another one:

Red states pump out more carbon pollution than blue ones

http://grist.org/climate-energy/red-..._campaign=feed

RED STATES SUCK, BLUE STATES DON'T

Repugs screw their states, their people, their environment.

?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's more!

New Study Finds 14 of The 15 Biggest ‘Moocher States’ Are Republican Controlled

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/06/...iticus+USA+%29

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    boutons
    More massively flawed moonbat "analysis" from your logic - free moonbat feed.
    Let's see if you even bothered to read this latest cut and paste bull .
    1. Do you know what or how many years were used in this "analysis"?
    2. Do you know how S'S and retirement disbursements were factored?
    3. Do you know how Military and civilian agency disbursement were factored?
    4. Were population distribution disparities weighted?

The answer to all of the above is "No".
    Thats only 4 flawed elements of this "analysis". Perfect fodder for the non-thinking cut and paste hack tho.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    boutons
    More massively flawed moonbat "analysis" from your logic - free moonbat feed.
    Let's see if you even bothered to read this latest cut and paste bull .
    1. Do you know what or how many years were used in this "analysis"?
    2. Do you know how S'S and retirement disbursements were factored?
    3. Do you know how Military and civilian agency disbursement were factored?
    4. Were population distribution disparities weighted?

The answer to all of the above is "No".
    Thats only 4 flawed elements of this "analysis". Perfect fodder for the non-thinking cut and paste hack tho.
    TB Fill us in with the missing facts

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    TB Fill us in with the missing facts
    Not surprised you don't understand your own post.
    boutons. Nothing to say.
    1. 1 year. 2012. lol data set fail.
    2. They weren't weighted. lol distribution fail.
    3. They weren't weighted. See above.
    4. No. More "analysis" fail.

Now back to your no content cut and paste fantasies.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    , meet slap.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

you got no numbers, but Boutons really got your goat

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    you got no numbers, but Boutons really got your goat
    No. I just slapped you. I didn't post a bull piece of "analysis". You did.

Thread Information