My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m a Spurs fan since 94 but I was able to read things about old players like Iceman, Silas, Gilmore, Kenon and others. But I didn’t find much about Drossos.

I know Drossos is responsible for bringing Gervin and Robinson to San Antonio and I read an article, I think during the 07 Finals, in Express News telling how important was Drossos during the contract negotiation with Robinson.

I’d like to know more about Drossos. I tried to find things on Google but didn’t find much more than I already now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There doesn't seem to be a lot there. Try doing a search the Express/News website. In the meantime, here's something to get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelo_Drossos

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 Words:

Father of Salary Cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, he was one of the lead negotiators representing the four ABA teams merging with the NBA in 1976. Red Auerbach disliked him and the rest of the ABA crowd from the very beginning. But Red and the rest of the league owners and powers came to respect his tough negotiating style. He was the representative the team owners elected to deal with the players union way back in the day that resulted in the salary cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m a Spurs fan since 94 but I was able to read things about old players like Iceman, Silas, Gilmore, Kenon and others. But I didn’t find much about Drossos.

I know Drossos is responsible for bringing Gervin and Robinson to San Antonio and I read an article, I think during the 07 Finals, in Express News telling how important was Drossos during the contract negotiation with Robinson.

I’d like to know more about Drossos. I tried to find things on Google but didn’t find much more than I already now.
    Angelo was probably the best and most influential team executive of the old ABA. He was responsible for obtaining the franchise and the investors.

You could easily say that he was the prime mover between the merger of the NBA and ABA and the adoption of many policies and reforms within the NBA such as 3pt. shot and salary cap which kept the small market teams like Spurs compe ive. He was NBA executive of the year in 1978 for his work in bringing the war between the leagues to an end as well as his successful sponsorship of innovations.

Although a new member of the league executives, he was able to persuade the old NBA guys who absolutely hated the ABA and the new teams they were forced to welcome to modernize and the league 'took off' as its popularity rose.

Without Drossos the Spurs would have died as a San Antonio. Read Dan Cooks stories on Drossos, especially his tributes when Drossos died in 1997.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I swear I learn more on this board everyday. Thanks for the history guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Angelo by trade was a stockbroker (and a successful one as you might imagine). He and Red McCombs were movers and shakers in getting the San Antonio franchise out of Dallas (the Chapparels) and "Leasing" them for a year from the Dallas ownership group in 1973 and them buying them outright in 1974.

Yes, Drossos was the negotiator in getting Ice to SA from the ABA Virginia Squires and buying Gervin's contract for $300-350K. There was a court case involved and the Spurs won it. BTW, the Squires also sold Julius Erving to the New York Nets.

For those who complain about current ownership, you probably don't know about the budget constraints of the "old" days. Gervin was the top dog and he made $250K per year in the early NBA days. Larry Kenon left the Spurs in 1980 as a FA and all the Spurs got in compensation (as dictated by the New York league office) was a pair of second round draft choices. Mind you Kenon was a 20 PPG and 10 RPG player - the second best player on the team.

Anyway, Angelo was disliked for his frugal ways, but that was in part out of necessity, given the relative health of the NBA overall at that time (pre-Bird, Magic, and Jordan).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Angelo by trade was a stockbroker (and a successful one as you might imagine). He and Red McCombs were movers and shakers in getting the San Antonio franchise out of Dallas (the Chapparels) and "Leasing" them for a year from the Dallas ownership group in 1973 and them buying them outright in 1974.

Yes, Drossos was the negotiator in getting Ice to SA from the ABA Virginia Squires and buying Gervin's contract for $300-350K. There was a court case involved and the Spurs won it. BTW, the Squires also sold Julius Erving to the New York Nets.

For those who complain about current ownership, you probably don't know about the budget constraints of the "old" days. Gervin was the top dog and he made $250K per year in the early NBA days. Larry Kenon left the Spurs in 1980 as a FA and all the Spurs got in compensation (as dictated by the New York league office) was a pair of second round draft choices. Mind you Kenon was a 20 PPG and 10 RPG player - the second best player on the team.

Anyway, Angelo was disliked for his frugal ways, but that was in part out of necessity, given the relative health of the NBA overall at that time (pre-Bird, Magic, and Jordan).
    and Kenon was an All-Star player in his own right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks a lot

Thread Information