Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You make no sense. I am all about having discussions on all topics. All I said is there is a time and place. This would be like Bush announcing we are going to Iraq on MySpace.
    Where would be the time/place for Manu to express his personal opinions on religion?

He's Manu Ginobili carina_gino20's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    urunobili is on vacations with a VERY sore back fighting pain to even read this...
    Excuses, excuses...

Go read the rest of this thread and see why we need the translation now.

Kidding, of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, as a public figure, we want him to speak to issues like this as opposed to being silent. Because he has access to WOAI or KSAT, he can express what, in your mind, is an unpopular opinion. That enables debate on a salient matter of public discourse -- religion. That makes us, as citizens, more informed, and thus better able to perform our civic duties. The cons ution presumes that in response to Manu's comments, we would do exactly what we are doing here -- having a debate about religion and its place in our culture. You're alternative of having Manu mince his words would eliminate this debate, leaving us with . . .

Your alternative leaves us in a radically impoverished world of mono-cultural propaganda where dissenting views by prominent figures are silenced in lieu of us all towing a party line.
    I do not even vote, ever. I am so disgusted how people are so concerned with "parties" that they do not even know where they stand. And I am an extremely educated person, at least by today's standards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where would be the time/place for Manu to express his personal opinions on religion?
    Have a discussion with a well respected theological scholar or use your power to get your message across with a more respected medium other than a forum where you have guys like SequSpur posting crazy stuff!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do not think any less of Manu. I think that if this is true he was incredibly stupid for posting such a inflammatory answer on the world wide web. No judgments on what he believes. But in this world in which he lives, he must be more careful with what he says. It brings a lot of negative attention (believer or not) to a team that does not value that (especially after how he is viewed bc of the injury).
    Hypocrites are better than atheists. Gotcha

Bull . Manu's a grown ing man who can speak his mind. People who think religion has to be handled with kiddie gloves are morons.
    Thank you!

He's Manu Ginobili carina_gino20's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry about that.

As for the rest of the thread, it's ridiculous that it's exploding into an argument with DPG21920.

As of Manu's response, I know that I have heard him say, "Thank God..." before, so it's weird that he said he doesn't believe.
    I'm wondering about that, too. I specifically remember him saying "We were praying for that ankle to be fine" referring to Timmy's rolled ankle in the 2005 Sonics series. But of course he could have just said that in passing.

This whole thing though has been terribly overblown.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey smart guy, answer my Robinson question.

So is David Robinson full of for saying he supports the war when the majority of people in this country are against it? Was he stupid to speak his mind on an inflammatory issue while expressing a contrarian view?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do not even vote, ever. I am so disgusted how people are so concerned with "parties" that they do not even know where they stand. And I am an extremely educated person, at least by today's standards.
    This has nothing to do with political parties, voting, or your intelligence. It has everything to do with the model of civic participation envisioned by the cons ution and, in particular, the First Amendment.

Courts have, in the past 75 years, interpreted the first amendment as a catalyst for a market place of ideas. The notion is that, when speech is uninhibited, we express our ideas on a myriad of subjects -- politics, culture, and even religion -- with the result being we debate and thus become more intelligent.

Manu, as a prominent public figure both in Texas (which is right in the middle of the bible belt), America, and South America is in a prime position to facilitate such public debate on religion by saying what he said.

I think you're making a big deal out of something relatively small. He said this on his website -- it's not like he's letting it interfere with his job, his team-mates, or anything else really. Based on what you've said, Jon Amechi, Charles Barkley, Magic Johnson, etc . . . should keep quiet about sexuality, politics, and HIV/AIDS because they're in public positions and are airing controversial views. That's a very impoverished view of civic participation and democracy itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have a discussion with a well respected theological scholar
    Because we all have access to the most highly regarded people in their fields ready to have a conversation over coffee with the common man about our stupid opinions.

FAIL.
    or use your power to get your message across with a more respected medium other than a forum where you have guys like DPG21920 posting crazy stuff!
    FIFY.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have a discussion with a well respected theological scholar or use your power to get your message across with a more respected medium other than a forum where you have guys like SequSpur posting crazy stuff!
    It was posted on his website -- not here. Is he not en led to express his religious views on www.manuginobili.com ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    vy65 FTW...BANG!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because we all have access to the most highly regarded people in their fields ready to have a conversation over coffee with the common man about MY stupid opinions.
    FIFY

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No because believing in God is much more in line with what the vast majority of people in this country believe. Do you vote? The presidential candidates always align themselves with religion bc it gets them votes.
    This is hilarious. He's applying a presidential election philosophy to a manu forum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was posted on his website -- not here. Is he not en led to express his religious views on www.manuginobili.com ?
    Is it not a forum on the internet?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Use your power? Get your message across?

What the ? He's not trying to send a message dumbass. All he did was answer a simple question in a non-flammatory matter. What the is wrong with you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hypocrites are better than atheists. Gotcha

Thank you!
    Nope. But the fact of the matter is, in America, the vast majority of people deal with "Politically Correct" people all the time. They are told what to do, what to think and how to act. People are more than able to shake up the establishment, but in order to be affective or taken seriously, the timing must be right and the message must be delivered in an effective matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it not a forum on the internet?
    Absolutely. What's your point? The internet isn't austere, regal, or prestigious enough for a discussion on religion? What is?

Is Manu Ginobili not en led to express Manu Ginobili's religious beliefs at www.manu20.com?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Use your power? Get your message across?

What the ? He's not trying to send a message dumbass. All he did was answer a simple question in a non-flammatory matter. What the is wrong with you?
    Religion is non-INFLAMMATORY?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the third time, is David Robinson full of for saying he supports the war when the majority of people in this country are against it? Was he stupid to speak his mind on an inflammatory issue while expressing a contrarian view?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is hilarious. He's applying a presidential election philosophy to a manu forum.
    This is so funny, he is totally taking a topic that bridges the gap between all peoples and applying it to a relevant topic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. But the fact of the matter is, in America, the vast majority of people deal with "Politically Correct" people all the time. They are told what to do, what to think and how to act.
    What exactly are you trying to tell us?

People are more than able to shake up the establishment, but in order to be affective or taken seriously, the timing must be right and the message must be delivered in an effective matter.
    Do you really think by answering a fan's question, he was trying to "shake up the establishment"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the third time, is David Robinson full of for saying he supports the war when the majority of people in this country are against it? Was he stupid to speak his mind on an inflammatory issue while expressing a contrarian view?
    No he is not full of . But what is the difference between Josh Howard getting for speaking out against the war in Iraq and D-Rob not catching flack? Perception and credibility. D-Rob severed and Howard did not. D-Rob never said he smoked weed, Howard did. Does that make Howard's opinion any less valid? (I am not saying he was right or wrong)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Religion is non-INFLAMMATORY?
    Not to you, apparently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What exactly are ou trying to tell us?

Do you really think by answering a fan's question, he was trying to "shake up the establishment"?
    I do not know what "ou" is trying to tell us. I think he knows full well that saying I do not believe in God when asked a question that implies he does will cause some stir.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No he is not full of . But what is the difference between Josh Howard getting for speaking out against the war in Iraq and D-Rob not catching flack? Perception and credibility. D-Rob severed and Howard did not. D-Rob never said he smoked weed, Howard did. Does that make Howard's opinion any less valid? (I am not saying he was right or wrong)
    DRob severed? What did he sever? His arm got cut off or something?

Thread Information