Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What? Since when does making a simple statement about your own beliefs discredit someone else's beliefs? He didn't say, "I don't believe in God and if you do, you are an idiot."

You are making much ado about nothing and this crazy conversation doesn't really belong in the Spurs forum.
    I did not say Manu discredited people's beliefs. I said if I was asked a question, I would make sure not to discredit beliefs. That's all. I would be extra sensitive to the subject, knowing it is highly emotional and be sure to be honest without being disrespectful. I in no way implied that Manu was disrespectful or discrediting. I just think he was misplaced in discussing such matters with people who do not need to know such personal things.

He's Manu Ginobili carina_gino20's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My point is that he needs to do it in an effective manner and in a palatable way.
    By saying effective, you're implying that he has an agenda, which doesn't seem to be the case. You talked about him discussing personal questions that nobody needed to know. Apparently, a fan needed to know and I'm sure many are curious. Manu was simply answering a question. He did not in any way discredit their own beliefs; he was not disrespectful.

How would you say what he said in a palatable way?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timing? What about the timing of his comments? And, what's wrong with it being on a Manu Ginobili fan website?
    And it's not just a Manu Ginobili fan website. It's Manu's own website. He's allowed to be on his own website.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you said that Manu should keep his mouth shut. Those three cases (which are much more extreme, or to use your word, inflamatory, than "I'm not a believer") resulted in protecting speech even though it would provoke a backlash. Why would the court do such a thing? because the "bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment is that the expression of an idea should not be prohibited because society finds it offensive or disagreeable." If what he says provokes a backlash -- our law says good because that response to "unpopular views" will result in a debate -- like what's going on here.

That's the point that I think you're missing -- that the "intolerable" view that promotes a "backlash" is really an invitation to a public dialogue - i.e. a good thing. What's bad is when a subject gets silenced completely.
    I agree. But there is a difference in inviting a debate on such matters in such an informal way versus doing it because you are trying to influence the greater good of society.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just think he was misplaced in discussing such matters with people who do not need to know such personal things.
    They are his fans, and they asked him. It wasn't a discussion, it was a question which he answered. If it was too personal, he wouldn't have answered it.

Projecting is a bad thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So why is it that no one knows Tim Duncan's official stance on religion?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By saying effective, you're implying that he has an agenda, which doesn't seem to be the case. You talked about him discussing personal questions that nobody needed to know. Apparently, a fan needed to know and I'm sure many are curious. Manu was simply answering a question. He did not in any way discredit their own beliefs; he was not disrespectful.

How would you say what he said in a palatable way?
    Where did I say he was disrespectful? I said he brought up a serious topic that will throw more than me for a loop considering the question was implied that he just "believed".

I already said how I would answer it. I would say that many people have beliefs and are en led to them. I personally do not believe in God and that in no way means that I am right and you are wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I already said in my earlier post that he is directing a comment that assumes he believes in God towards people that widely believe in God.
    Maybe the poster assumed he did. He clarified that he didn't. I also believe in God, so that probably makes two of us there (me and the original poster). How do you know that the rest of the people in his forum widely believe in God?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because it's Tim's choice not to talk about it. Just like it's David Robinson's choice to talk about it a lot. And it's Manu Ginobili's choice to answer a simple question and not elaborate.

Get it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow...
    All that in a basket forum !
    Freedom is nice... but only if you think like me !

That is just great.

Different religions = wars all over the world... even on a sports forum.

Sick !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Changing the subject maybe?

Nobody knows because he chose to keep it to himself.
    Just like Manu chose to be honest to himself and to his fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. But there is a difference in inviting a debate on such matters in such an informal way versus doing it because you are trying to influence the greater good of society.
    I don't think there's a difference -- either way, you're still facilitating a discussion which, in the end, is really what we we want. I don't know why motives would matter, or, any less than that, how you, as DPG21920 would know Manu's motives.

Regardless, if you agree, then what's your problem? Manu didn't discredit anyone else's belief systems in saying what he said, right? But, even if he did -- that'd be good because it would result in debate -- right? We agreed on that point.

Regardless, he simply expressed his own views on his website. If he doesn't have a right to speak to his personal issues though a medium (in this case, a website), uniquely capable of letting people get to know him beyond his role as a San Antonio Spur, when else would he be able to speak?

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do not even vote, ever. I am so disgusted how people are so concerned with "parties" that they do not even know where they stand. And I am an extremely educated person, at least by today's standards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where did I say he was disrespectful? I said he brought up a serious topic that will throw more than me for a loop considering the question was implied that he just "believed".

I already said how I would answer it. I would say that many people have beliefs and are en led to them. I personally do not believe in God and that in no way means that I am right and you are wrong.
    By saying in your other post that you would say it in a manner that does not discredit the fans' beliefs, it seemed to me that you were suggesting that that's what Manu was doing.

Your earlier post was not a direct quote, so I wanted clarify.

Now that you have, you have just said in more than ten words what Manu said in three.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because it's Tim's choice not to talk about it. Just like it's David Robinson's choice to talk about it a lot. And it's Manu Ginobili's choice to answer a simple question and not elaborate.

Get it?
    Don't talk to me like I am an idiot. I get a lot of things and understand where people are coming from. Many people choose not to discuss these things because they are highly personal matters and highly controversial regardless of if that is right or wrong. Fact of the matter is that religion (even though everyone has the right to believe in anything they want) is a sensitive subject matter. I feel that answering a question (even though HE WAS NOT DISRESPECTFUL) so casually on a forum is just opening the doors to negative publicity, whether or not that is right or wrong. This is only because the perceptions of most do not agree with not believing. Robinson is no better than Manu, it is just that people can deal with preaching I believe more so than I do not.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone for judging Hitler or anyone for judging KKK members right? They are just telling people what they think: all the time and everywhere
    Sorry, Godwin's Law. You lost this thread pages ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By saying in your other post that you would say it in a manner that does not discredit the fans' beliefs, it seemed to me that you were suggesting that that's what Manu was doing.

Your earlier post was not a direct quote, so I wanted clarify.

Now that you have, you have just said in more than ten words what Manu said in three.
    This I do not get. I do believe in God, personally. I was just saying how I would say something if I did not.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Satan thinks this is comical.

Not that I believe in satan, but if I did, I wouldn't be saying I'm right and you're wrong if you don't believe in satan.

Just for clarification.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is me deciding not to vote funny?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't talk to me like I am an idiot.
    Then don't ask idiotic questions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Satan thinks this is comical.

Not that I believe in satan, but if I did, I wouldn't be saying I'm right and you're wrong if you don't believe in satan.

Just for clarification.
    Very un-clever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe we have 7 pages of this now, and only a translation for one question.

opening the doors to negative publicity...
    Most of you probably wouldn't have even known of it if I or any of the posters there had not posted it here. He was just answering a question. Why can't you let it go?

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just that people that are Christians are easier to accept and deal with, even if you don't agree, than people that aren't Christians. It's much easier not to judge someone who's a Christian than it is to judge someone who isn't.

In other words, Christians can't mind their own business, right? Some busybody asks Manu about religion, he answers honestly, and another busybody suddenly starts comparing him to Josh Howard, Hitler and the KKK.

psst: If you think people are talking to you like you're an idiot, that may be your first good instinct in this thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then don't ask idiotic questions.
    How is that an idiotic question? Asking how come some people do not air their beliefs is an idiotic question?

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    psst: If you think people are talking to you like you're an idiot, that may be your first good instinct in this thread.
    FTW

Thread Information