Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Have to check the film" PixelPusher's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    John Stossel thinks young people are too dumb and shouldn't vote.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2...5985719&page=1(video segment included in the link)

...so Trick or Vote uses Stossel's baggy editorial tricks to make the case that old people shouldn't vote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mos Def is a BUM

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Well, considering what I've seen over my nearly 50 years, I'd say 18 is too young to vote. O'd even say 21 is too young to vote. Not enough life experinces. What about if a voter had to be at least the same age as the minimum required for a given office? I know you guys will hate me, but that means no one under 35 could vote for president.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, considering what I've seen over my nearly 50 years, I'd say 18 is too young to vote. O'd even say 21 is too young to vote. Not enough life experinces. What about if a voter had to be at least the same age as the minimum required for a given office? I know you guys will hate me, but that means no one under 35 could vote for president.
    I don't hate you as much as I feel sorry for those who depend on you for anything.

United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So life experience trumps knowledge of policies or politics in general? How many 70 year old people do you think could do better on a politics "quiz" than 18 or 21 year old people. I can't believe some people want to take away people's right to vote based on personal experiences they've had. Ridiculous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well if you are old enough to die for your country, you should be able to vote.

And drink.........

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then 18 is too young to drive, too young to buy alcohol, too young to go to jail for crimes, and too young to have any kind of responsibility.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    John Stossel is a tool.

The idea that a picture showing just an African-American face with a baseball cap apparently = homeless person is more than a little troubling. I get not knowing it's Mos Def, but to jump to "bum" as your first guess?

If anything, both of these show that ignorance is not generational.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I told you Stossel was a GOP douch...

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Are 18-35 year olds not affected by the people we elect to our government? Do they not pay taxes and serve in the military? Who the are you to tell me I shouldn't have a say in how our country is run? Just because I haven't had 50 years to develop such wisdom as "smart people avoid black doctors?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there you go dan.....gop this/democrats that.........its all bull .....its banks vs. the people......don't you see that they are dividing and conquering us so that we keep our eye off the ball(money). et tu dan........get beyond the brainwashing.
    blah...as always your being way to simplistic... sure there are corrupt politicians in both parties, but not every politician is looking to screw the little guy in favor of big corporate lobbyists....there are some politicians who actually fear a rise in populists political movements....but they have to run against politicians who will take a big chunk of change from corporate lobbyists... I guess what I'm saying is don't ever doubt the power of your vote....especially if you can garner widespread support for a idea or belief...for instance, I think many politicians who eventually voted for the Wall Street bailout will have to face the wrath of voters on their next election cycle...

The Wheel Is Turning... shelshor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I told you Stossel was a GOP douch...
    Last I heard, Stossel is a Libertarian

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    stossel is inciting hate and is generally offensive. He should be relegated to cable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wild Cobra seems pretty certain that the voting populous should be limited to 35+ year olds who have jobs and get no subsidies from the government (although he only provides a broad outline for his methods for describing who should be disqualified from voting), and the spouses of such people.

I wonder if Wild Cobra would be cool with giving 2 votes to those who own houses outright.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last I heard, Stossel is a Libertarian
    Funny -- I heard the same thing about Yonivore.

"Have to check the film" PixelPusher's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Wild Cobra seems pretty certain that the voting populous should be limited to 35+ year olds who have jobs and get no subsidies from the government (although he only provides a broad outline for his methods for describing who should be disqualified from voting), and the spouses of such people.

I wonder if Wild Cobra would be cool with giving 2 votes to those who own houses outright.
    That would exclude Sarah Palin and the rest of Alaska.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    don't take this as a politically motivated response. The logic behind those payments makes a lot of sense to me. The people own the mineral rights of public land, so why not return those profits instead of increasing government spending.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stossel is a good journalist.

But, that's beside the point. The REAL point is, the election, for the most part, is a popularity contest. It's brand recognition.

Take a good-looking guy.

Give him a simple message.
    HOPE

It's also helps if the brand has a symbol.

Add a jingle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably not, since their income puts them in a tax bracket that requires them to pay taxes that exceed the amount of governmental assistance they receive.

My point was to demonstrate that guys like Wild Cobra seem to be all for whittling down the electorate to those who think most like them. In that regard, it just gets funnier and funnier to hear the right scream claims that the left is facist and repressive and elitist, particularly when, in this forum, it's righties who seem to be advancing ideas for limiting the franchise and disqualifying "undesireables" from voting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The REAL point is, the election, for the most part, is a popularity contest. It's brand recognition.
    So Bush won because he was more popular than Kerry -- not because he offered better policy choices or had greater leadership qualities?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most 18-20 yr olds don't know wtf is going on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most 18-20 yr olds don't know wtf is going on.
    They can go get shot for America, but they shouldn't be allowed to vote for who decides to send them to war?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most Americans don't know wtf is going on.
    Fixed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can go get shot for America, but they shouldn't be allowed to vote for who decides to send them to war?
    They should be able to vote for this very reason. However, most don't know what affects different policies will have because most don't respect their elders and talk to old people.

Obama is young, good-looking, and trendy. That's enough to win Amerikan USA Idol.

Thread Information