My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "
    LAST UPDATE: 2/24/2005 10:51:57 AM
    Posted By: Jim Forsyth

The separatist Republic of Texas group, which largely dissolved after an abortive uprising in the Davis Mountains left several of its leaders dead or in prison in 1997, has reformed, and is again pushing its message that Texas should be a free and independent nation, 1200 WOAI news reported today.

From a newly established 'capitol' in the east Texas town of Overton, Daniel Miller, President of the Republic of Texas Interim Government, says a desire to be free, combined with ballooning concerns over rising taxes and property rights, will convince more Texans to support a 'referendum' on whether Texas should become an independent nation.

"We're seeking a referendum to allow the people of Texas to vote on independence," Miller said. "We're looking forward to the benefits of Texas independence, where Texas stands as a nation among other nations."

Texas was a republic from 1836 until joining the United States in December of 1845, in a move that helped spark the Mexican War. Texas joined the Confederate States of America in 1861, and talk of independence has surfaced off and on since the end of the Civil War, although no reputable historian or political scientists expects the event will ever occur.

"There are many reasons why Texas would be better off as a republic," Miller said. "One of our biggest problems right now is school finance, and we don't have enough money to keep our schools solvent. Yet we send $129 billion to Washington D.C. annually for them to spend on projects that don't really affect Texas. We feel that if we could keep that money here at home we could solve all of our problems."

He says Texas is currently the eighth largest economy in the world, and second largest on a per capita basis..

"An independent Texas would be an economic powerhouse worldwide."

Led by self proclaimed "Ambassador" Richard McLaren, several people claiming to represent the Republic of Texas Organization took two hostages in remote Fort Davis. The resulting standoff left two Republic of Texas sympathizers dead and McLaren and several followers are serving lengthy prison terms for their roles in the incident.

In the weeks leading up to the standoff, McLaren had been attaching frivolous write and liens to the property of opponents, sympathizing with the 'militia' and 'freemen' movements which sprung up following the Branch Davidian siege in Waco in 1993, and even issuing $1.8 billion in phony financial do ents. The new Republic of Texas movement condemns these actions and says it's movement is purely peaceful and political.

"Texas independence is not some fringe movement, nor is it reactionary," Miller says. "We are simply living out trends that are happening around the world. If you look at the past twenty years there have been in excess of thirty nations which have been formed. There is a trend worldwide toward independence and decontrol, and we think it's high time that the trend came to Texas."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "There are many reasons why Texas would be better off as a republic," Miller said. "One of our biggest problems right now is school finance, and we don't have enough money to keep our schools solvent. Yet we send $129 billion to Washington D.C. annually for them to spend on projects that don't really affect Texas. We feel that if we could keep that money here at home we could solve all of our problems."
    Needless to say this guy is crazy, but Texas is a debtors state. Texans receives more in Federal aid and services than they pay in federal taxes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At a VFW hall in Bryan, reported Zeke MacCormack at the SA Express News (Feb. 19), the Kerr County Sheriff along with the "FBI, the Texas Attorney General’s office, Bryan police and Brazos County deputies" raided a VFW Hall where sixty members of the Republic of Texas were holding a meeting, ostensibly because two of them allegedly committed do ent fraud, though "No one was arrested and no charges have been filed."
    http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.co...le-vfw-to.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crusty bump

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not at all. this just happened.

did you read the article? detaining and fingerprinting and DNA swabbing sixty people just because they attended a political meeting is messed up.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 03-02-2015 at 07:55 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    had I found a more recent RoT thread I would have bumped it. . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supreme Court Gives Tacit Approval To Warrantless DNA Collection

On Monday, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to review a case involving the conviction of a man based solely on the analysis of his "inadvertently shed" DNA. The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) argues that this tacit approval of the government's practice of collecting anyone's DNA anywhere without a warrant will lead to a future in which people's DNA are "entered into and checked against DNA databases and used to conduct pervasive surveillance."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not at all. this just happened.

did you read the article? detaining and fingerprinting and DNA swabbing sixty people just because they attended a political meeting is messed up.
    of course it is. is getting worse imo.

this story should be bigger news.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My advice to authorities would be: Don't overreach and make martyrs of a bunch of kooks.

^ this from the article.

Let them have their silly meetings for Christsakes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supreme Court Gives Tacit Approval To Warrantless DNA Collection

On Monday, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to review a case involving the conviction of a man based solely on the analysis of his "inadvertently shed" DNA. The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) argues that this tacit approval of the government's practice of collecting anyone's DNA anywhere without a warrant will lead to a future in which people's DNA are "entered into and checked against DNA databases and used to conduct pervasive surveillance."
    crusty bump

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Secede? ‘Republic’ Claims Texas Never Joined U.S.

The Republic of Texas is unlike any other volunteer organization in what used to be the Republic of Texas.

Its monthly meetings are called joint sessions of congress. Members have minted their own silver and gold currency and carry ID cards warning police officers they are diplomatic representatives of the nation of Texas. Its vice president, a retired telephone company worker, sent a letter in 2011 to the governor of Oklahoma, informing her that she faced indictment because her state’s counties and territories were “trespassing inside the geographical boundaries” of the nation.

Such letters have failed to convince the authorities of the group’s novel belief — that Texas never legally became part of the United States and remains a separate nation. As a result of that belief, the group claims it had a duty to form a government, with a state department and with a court system run in part by a chiropractor in the Houston suburb of Katy.

Members say their government is neither a mock system nor a prank, but a legitimate authority with executive, legislative and judicial branches. They spend their time sitting through eight-hour congressional meetings and debating legislation. (The letter to Oklahoma officials refers to Senate Bill No. 1102-1201.) Still, officials who receive one of the group’s many letters typically “just throw it in the trash can,” acknowledged the Republic’s president, John Jarnecke, 72.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/10...joined-us.html

Old White Guys

Thread Information