Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Germany's #1 Spurs Fan Streakyshooter08's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somebody should make the suggestion at the Pop Show and tell him to try Rasho off the bench/without Tim on the court. Maybe he hadn't hat the idea yet.

BTW: Did you receive my Mail Kori?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Streaky, I got the pictures. I'll put them up later tonight. Thanks very much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SHAQ: REALLY NOT WHAT NAZR NEEDS

By MARC BERMAN

February 9, 2005 -- Nazr Mohammed isn't heading into tonight's rematch with Shaquille O'Neal and the almighty Heat on a confidence roll.

Mohammed would have been the ultimate goat Monday in Utah had Stephon Marbury not saved the Knicks in overtime for a 102-99 victory. It avoided what would have been their season's most absurd loss — in a year already brimming with them.

Up two points with 3.5 seconds left, Mohammed botched two free throws. The Jazz forced the extra session when Raul Lopez hit two free throws after being fouled by Trevor Ariza on last-ditch jumper, capping a 13-point comeback in the final 5:37. It's one thing to choke like dogs against the mighty Kings. It's quite another to let the 16-32 Jazz do the defiling.

The Knicks were just happy to have a win to finish their Western trip at 1-5. "I credit my teammates for saving me," Mohammed said.

They likely can't save Mohammed tonight as the Heat roll into town. Shaq whipped the Knicks for 33 points and 18 rebounds in 36 minutes in their first meeting on Jan. 5 in Miami. Shaq threw down dunks on the break and in halfcourt sets. Mohammed was in early foul trouble and played like a timid bystander.

Tonight marks Shaq's first game at the Garden since being traded to Miami, so the Newark native might be trying to tear down some Broadway rims before an expected flood of celebrities. Mohammed said he didn't make it hard enough for Shaq the first time.

"I know I was in foul trouble and got two quick ones, got a fifth," Mohammed said. "The game plan is always to stay within you and the basket and make him shoot over you. When we send help, send it hard and rotate."

The Miami showdown comes after the Knicks' 10-day trip and the OT game in Utah that caused a 5 a.m. landing yesterday. It's horrible timing. "It's kind of disappointing, you have such a long road trip and on the travel day, you prepare for your next team and it's Miami," Mohammed said. "We're disappointed about that. But it's the NBA. We need to stop the bleeding so we can't worry about the schedule."

The Knicks are amidst a 3-16 tailspin. "This losing streak has tested our hearts to see where we're at," rookie Trevor Ariza said.
    A timid bystander? Don't tell me he's related to Rasho.

Germany's #1 Spurs Fan Streakyshooter08's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Streaky, I got the pictures. I'll put them up later tonight. Thanks very much.
    Great! I have to thank you for hosting them. They aren't very good but some fans might be interested.

Seems to be a busy day for the fans all around the league.

I go to sleep now.

Streaky

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only reason I wonder, hes a good tall center for New York, with a small contract. Young too.

I mean, the game I went to in November New York against Indiana, this guy was hanging RIGHT WITH O'Neal, that is NO Joke folks, this guy was playing Jermaine O'Neal straight up, and was playing great defense.

Blocking shots like no one's business either.

What I mean if he has his head on straight, in Atlanta he was critisized for his work ethic, and I don't know what his deal was in New York, but guys, Popovich and Buford would NOT make a trade, unless it would improve the team.

This isn't the Bob Bass days of making a trade for the of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp I guess we have to come up with a new prop for the roundtable now......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Atlanta he was critisized for his work ethic
    I hadn't heard anything about that. That's why I asked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ACHING MOHAMMED WON'T YIELD TO PAIN

By EVAN GROSSMAN

February 14, 2005 -- Give Nazr Mohammed credit. At least he's not giving up on the season, fighting through a painful groin strain to play the last two games through it.
    "You can either sit or fight," Mohammed said.

Mohammed was in the starting lineup last night after seeing limited time at Boston following the strain suffered last week against Miami, but played just 15 minutes.

He finished with six points and four rebounds in a 102-99 win over Charlotte, but because his groin was "too tight," could not play in the fourth quarter.

When he was not on the floor, Mohammed pedaled on an exercise bike in the tunnel by the Knick locker room because he said sitting on the bench only made him tighten up more. At least on the bike, he said, he could remain somewhat loose for when he went back in.

Because he didn't log a lot of minutes, Mohammed said he'll play tonight in Philadelphia.

"The last game, I couldn't even dunk," he said. "Every game, it gets a little better."
    Ummm ... the Spurs better check this guy out before they finalize the trade.

This could explain his drop in numbers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets take what the New York Post thinks about players with a grain of salt.

The New York media can be pricks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There were some direct quotes of Nazr in the story. Doubt they'd make that up in the Sports section.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DIESEL NOT SO HOT IN FIRST NY VISIT WITH HEAT

By EVAN GROSSMAN

February 10, 2005 -- Aside from the fact that standing next to each other, Shaquille O'Neal looks like he could fold up Nazr Mohammed and stuff him in his back pocket like a dollar bill, The Diesel appeared somewhat human and mortal last night in a 116-110 overtime win over the Knicks.

O'Neal, who had Mohammed on him most of the night, wasn't the human eclipse in the paint he normally is. In fact, the big guy might not have been able to throw the ball in the ocean if he tried last night.

While O'Neal dumped 33 points and pulled down 18 rebounds in 36 minutes last month when the Knicks lost 102-94 at Miami in their first meeting of the season, last night he was average under the hoop and had trouble shooting against the Knicks, which is something few opponents ever really suffer from. O'Neal shot 5-for-16 from the field and finished with 16 quiet points and 13 rebounds in 42 minutes.

Never known for his foul shooting, Shaq did hit pair of free throws to put the Knicks down four with 1:53 left in overtime, his two biggest baskets of the evening. For the game, he shot 6-for-8 from the line.

Prior to the opening tip, O'Neal, a human quote box, touched on a host of topics, from the uncertain coaching future of his former skipper Phil Jackson, to Shaq possibly owning an NBA franchise in the future.

Shaq said he would never come to New York.

"The city and the people are great here . . . but you can't drive," he said.

Shaq still talks about becoming an ATF agent, a U.S. Marshall or FBI man after his basketball days are over. It's highly unlikely we'd see The Diesel going through a door with a Kevlar helmet, but we could eventually see him as part-owner of an NBA team.

"The one team that would interest me would be the Orlando Magic. I live in Orlando; my family lives in Orlando," O'Neal said. "I wouldn't want to own a team, too much pressure. But I'd like to put a group together."
    Not bad. Sounds like Nazr played Shaq well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    from a business standpoint its an awesome trade.

from a personal standpoint it sucks.

malik will kick some ass in new york though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knicks notebook: Mohammed in scoring slump
    Monday, January 24, 2005
    BY COLIN STEPHENSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

NEW YORK -- A month ago, some people were starting to tout center Nazr Mohammed as a potential All-Star. Now that thought seems far-fetched.

Mohammed scored just three points in 13 foul-plagued minutes yesterday in a loss to the Bucks. His absence as a scoring threat is one of the reasons the Knicks, who have lost 10 of their last 11, are struggling. In the past six games, Mohammed, who is averaging 11.8 points, has scored seven, two, seven, 16, nine and three points.

"I play off my teammates," Mohammed said. "When we're getting penetration and I'm able to get to the rim, they're able to dump it off to me."

Foul trouble has hurt Mohammed lately, sending him to the bench early in the first half in a several recent games. Against the Bucks he picked up his second foul just 2:25 into the game and went to the bench immediately, in favor of Michael Sweetney.

"I feel I've had a couple of bad calls, but sometimes it's penetration and I'm the 'help' guy," he explained. "I think I try to do too much sometimes. sometimes I try to be the help guy and I try to also get back to my man. I've just got to count on my teammates and realize that they're going to be there instead of trying to do both."
    Trying to do too much? Sounds familiar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's going to be simply a question of "Can we actually use him?", because we just weren't using Malik. Not because Pop is an idiot or had anything personal against Malik, but because in the Spurs system, there are consequences for mental lapses in defensive execution, and Malik just kept making mental mistakes. He'd get out of the doghouse, and put himself right back in. The amount of talent or heart he has is irrelevent if he's not on the court. If he doesn't earn time on the court, he doesn't play. He doesn't earn it consistently (according to Spurs standards, which call for execution as well as effort), so all his talent and heart are wasted on our bench. Maybe Nazr will learn and efficiently fit into our system, maybe he won't. It became quite clear that Malik just couldn't consistantly live up to the standards of execution within the system. Consequently, he's not going to see significant court time. Effectively, we traded away someone who (based on the amount of playing time he earned) had value to the team equivalent to a 9th or 10th man. Obviously, Malik is more valuable and more talented than his playing time/production indicates, but he couldn't keep himself on the court. Again, this is based solely on his performance. The standards for playing time in New York are significantly lower. Malik should see a lot of court time (which is great for him, if you care about him so much), will get lots of exposure in the big apple (as hard as New York is, they'll love his heart and hustle. There's no way you couldn't), and I personally think he's going to thrive in the Eastern Conference. This is a great move for Malik, and it's a great move for the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mohammed is a ing scrub, nothing more than lethargically gained stats. Malik was much more than that and his feistiness will be missed in the playoffs.

I see why the Spurs did it, but it's not really a good trade for the purposes of winning a le. Malik would have helped us more.

Mohammed does nothing, absolutely nothing to improve our le chances this year.

There's a reason the Knicks suck...

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. I can't see Malik ever averaging more than around 12 and 8, because I figure he's probably a guy with severely diminishing returns once his MPG consistenly go above 24-28 minutes.

2. Realistically, Nazr is not "almost averaging a double-double". He was almost averaging a doub-doub through the end of December. Since then he's been in a tailspin. In 2005, freakin' Lorenzen Wright has been a better center, among others.

Mohammed has been battling a groin injury and thats a big reason why his numbers have come down recently.

It was a good trade for the spurs. They get a true center, trim salary and dump a bad contract in Rose who they have been trying to trade for awhile now. They also add an inside player bigger than Malik and won't have to rely on Rasho as a banger and inside rebounder where he is weak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, thats going off foggy memory Kori dont totally hold me to it, I remember when he was there, he was pretty overweight, and I cant remember the coach at the time, but he mae comments of, if Nazr could improve his practice habits and such.

But if those are problems?? What better team to come to?? Stephen Jackson was horrible in discipline and such, and he came to the Spurs and now look at him.

The Spurs are the surgeons of undisciplined players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Although trying to do too much on defense, which probably won't be too much of a problem with Pop.

On offense, it sounds like he says he just tries to play off his teammates, which Pop will love, and which was probably Malik's greatest failing on O.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're all still scurred of Shaq there's no trade that will satisfy you save Pryzbilla or Cato, and that ain't happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are full of young players now, so that's another reason to deal the 1st round picks. We can probably look forward to signing Scola, resigning Devin and maybe seeing LJ III and/or Sato some year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malik would have helped us more.
    He's no help to us from the doghouse.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's no help to us from the doghouse.

I just don't know what to say to that...he hadn't been in the doghouse lately and he had been playing well.

And his stint in the doghouse last season hurt us more than it did him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Robert Horry is healthy, how much time does Malik get, minimum numbers.

Mohammed will be reinvigorated by this trade, come wanted to prove himself, that, and playing next to Duncan.

This is IMO a very good trade, I cant believe it only took Malik.

When I first heard this on the radio in passing I heard Malik Rose and Rasho Nesterovic.

I was wondering what in the world HUGE blockbuster had been made.

I agree with Mark Stein though, this trade is a great and perfect one for the Spurs.

Acquiring him moves some players around and maximizes the current roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Charles Smith had a ty coach.
    Charles Smith had a ty knee and was on the wrong side of 30. Nazr's deal also has only 1 year, plus the remaining 20-something games from this year left, and it's relatively friendly at that.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had we pried Ariza from Zeke too this would have been an A+ trade.

Pretty good as it is though.

I get the feeling we're keeping LJ3 and Sato if it's possible, so the picks would've been traded away during the summer anyway.

Thread Information