Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only downside to this trade is that we lose Malik the person. On the court, this is a no-brainer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agreed 100% AGAIN.

Were definately on the same page lately Aggie, nice change of pace dontcha think

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe you and I agree on something, T Park.

Seems like you've calmed down a whole lot since I used to be a regular here.

Truth, justice, and the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has Tim reacted to this trade? I can't help thinking he must be really bummed to see his best friend get traded...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malik was a heart and soul overachiever who has been a great part of the Spurs, and was overpaid as a reward on his last contract. However, he is a poor decision maker who takes too many bad shots. He gets a chance to shine in a big market. He still gets his 7-8mil a year.
    I might agree with everything until your last line. Malik makes $5.5M this season. A lot of fans think he makes Austin Croshere-like money. He doesn't. But his contract is so long that with the raises, it would be a burden in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll miss Malik.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kori - don't forget Rose's 15% trade kicker. He's now up over 6 million.

Were definately on the same page lately Aggie, nice change of pace dontcha think
    Actually it scares the out of me.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Nice trade for San Antonio. Got some needed height and ahleticism backing up Duncan and Rasho and all it cost was a low draft pick. Plus dumping Rose's K to pay the other players and Nazr locked up cheap.

That should really help when you face Detroit or Miami.

Too bad LA couldn't get a thing done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ Sniff, damn, thought wed have a , Yeah T Park, its kinda cool, we agree basketball and politics wise.

oh well.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has Tim reacted to this trade? I can't help thinking he must be really bummed to see his best friend get traded...
    Tim was probably consulted prior to this trade. At the very least, I'm sure he was made aware of it before it went through.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once Mohammed's contract is up then sure, you don't have 3 years left on a contract but how is he replaced if he leaves? If Scola doesn't pan out then this team will be on the hunt for another bigman while capped out. If Mohammed is kept (which he would be only if he is worthy of being kept) then how does he end up with anything less than 3 years guaranteed? And they would have taken away two picks from a rather effective scouting department in the process.

Unlike others in this forum I could care less about Holt Cat et al's wallet. Only from that perspective was this a great trade. Otherwise there are a lot more questions than answers at this point. But hey, change is always exciting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could care less about Holt Cat et al's wallet
    Buy the team and make the moves you want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to miss Malik.

I like the Spurs getting a bigger guy in the pivot. Mohammed is tough and he hits the offensive boards (3+/game). I like the trade. It makes the Spurs better inside. As long as chemistry isn't goofed up, I agree with this trade.

This opens the door for Luis Scola. Scola will be an awesome energy player for the Spurs next season and he won't have to play out of position. The Spurs will be even better, not to mention deeper next season.

The only thing I'm not sure about is Nazr's hands. I just don't know if they are much better than Malik's hands. On this team of passers, good hands and alert players are important attributes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have been saying that to LJ for weeks.

Rasho and Duncan's games don't complement each other. Rasho gets in Duncan's way and defers to him too much. I was trying to think of a way to bring Rasho off the bench. This might be the answer.
    I posted a topic devoted to this at least a couple of months ago but it didn't get too much interest.

At the time I said Pop should have even tried Horry starting next to Tim so Rasho could come off the bench. Rasho could still have logged more minutes than Horry but Horry would start and finish games with Tim and he spreads the floor better for Tim.

Now that we have Nazr who can log heavy minutes and plays center, Pop should definitely try this experiment - but not this year as there's no time to integrate him properly as a starter. I'm pretty sure that if Nazr thrives, Pop could give him more time on the floor than Rasho even though Rasho remains a starter for the rest of the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will Scola pan out? I suppose the Spurs are betting that he will, and the Spurs have done pretty well so far bringing in interational players.

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Mohammad going to touch the floor once scola gets here?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shotblockers can always get minutes on the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shotblockers can always get minutes on the Spurs.
    Yeah, and nothing says "shotblocking" like a career average of .66 blocks per game...

Horry is a better shotblocker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horry is a better shotblocker.
    Than Malik too. This should explain some things to you.

Are you saying Nazr is not a shotblocker or just being a contrarian pussy as always?

And it's never about the numbers with you, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shot blocking isn't what is impressive with Mohammed. It is Offensive rebounds...but then again, that was Malik's forte also. They rank almost dead even per 48 minutes.

Mohammed is just taller on opposing centers and a more imposing lane presence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nazr's avering .98 blocks per game this year. Rose is avering .14. The math isn't very difficult on that one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone capable of an 8-block game this season is a shotblocker in my book, especially in the Spurs defense.

But it's just a number.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like this trade if for no other reason than Nazr is athletic and he's an honest 6'10", instead of our "Texas 6'8" " Rose (who is really more like 6'4" or so).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Than Malik too. This should explain some things to you.
    I don't recall ever claiming Malik was a shotblocker...although I have seen him get blocks against both Yao and Bradley.

Are you saying Nazr is not a shotblocker or just being a contrarian pussy as always?
    He's not that good of a shotblocker...and I'm not being contrarian, I'm telling the truth.

He's not that good of a shotblocker...he's better than Malik but not as good as Rasho.

And it's never about the numbers with you, right?
    Not true, ...the numbers do matter, just not all the time, and it depends on the players, and some numbers matter more than others, and the way and situation in which they are attained is just as important...

Blocked shots are a pretty honest stat...and they tend to be an accurate indicator of ability regardless of surrounding cast.

Rebounding and PPG are not really honest stats...they are heavily influenced by supporting cast and coaching philosophy, etc.

It's best to leave this sort of thing up to the experts...I don't talk to you about the cap now do I?

I'll let you know when the numbers matter.

In this case they do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not that good of a shotblocker.
    So you saying he's a shotblocker.
    the numbers do matter, just not all the time
    Only when you want them to, you hypocritical twerp. I'll tell you when they matter.
    It's best to leave this sort of thing up to the experts
    "the Spurs pick up a shot-blocker"
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ers/index.html

Thread Information