Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Random member
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I'd like to see fist pump and chest bump categories. At the end of the year the top performer in these two categories combined could win the bag award.

Warder to the Maiden Fair Yorae's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Number of whining a player makes....and how many baskets were converted because of the whining....

Warder to the Maiden Fair Yorae's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to see fist pump and chest bump categories. At the end of the year the top performer in these two categories combined could win the bag award.
    You should also add the number of scream and trashtalk...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

First Ballot bag Hall of Famer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We've got enough ing stats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish they would divide up the fouls listed in the box score for each player into offensive, defensive, loose ball, etc. just so you know how the fouls are occurring.

As to the assists, it would be nice if they got credit for great passes that lead to fouls and FT's.

Deflections are a good stat, too. Horry always was good for a number of those.

I am not a big fan of the charges drawn or fouls drawn category because there is already too much flopping.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a stat that would be like an assist
    except the other team fouls the player giving the player who passed the ball no assist but the guy he passed to gets 2 free throws

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This touches on your topic a little:

with a loose ball in the early going, it occurred to me -- and not for the first time -- that for all the stats geeks out there a worthwile effort would be to come up up with a stat for who comes up with the most loose balls. They have this in lacrosse. It's called loose balls. I guess the problem might be one of definition, but that doesn't seem insurmountable. My own experience suggest that some guys are just better at taking possession of balls than others. Chris Paul is probably one of the best. My guess is it's a combination of intensity, quickness, strength, good hands and anticipation. We make a big deal when a guy blocks a shot or two a game, but what about the guy who tracks down the ball and actually comes up with it?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/...y-Bullets.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get that, but I actually think seeing the +/- in a box score is a waste of time. Like you said it's good for the long run to see a trend, but that's really only for coaches and diehards to ponder over.

If a guy scores 15 points and grabs 10 boards but is at or near the minus, that makes no sense to me.
    Not if his man drops 30. That's relevant data. Call it "The Boozer/Randolph Effect"

Like a couple of other posters, I'd like to see multiple assists on a basket, like hockey. That play last game where Tim flashed into the paint, got a perfect bullet pass from a guard, and quickly tapped a pass to Thomas for a 5 ft jumper is a perfect example. The guard got no credit for zipping a perfect perimeter pass to a moving target in Duncan, but the play was impossible without that entry pass.
    Last edited by exstatic; 12-16-2008 at 11:12 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Put "amount of flops" made

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A defense efficiency rating. Either a score or percentage out of a hundred.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would like to see a shots altered stat....shot blocking is big but if you can change guys shots and make them more difficult that is almost as good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not if his man drops 30. That's relevant data. Call it "The Boozer/Randolph Effect"
    I've got a question about that.....

Is it considered "your man" if he just made a shot over you, or is it your man based on position.

for example, say by some freak screen, Shaq suddenly has Tony guarding him. If he scores, does that negative count against Tony or does it count against whoever is playing center (Bonner or Tim?)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here's an example of how the +/- makes no sense

this is Nate Robinson's stat line from last nite's Knicks/Lakers game:

N. Robinson min:32:34 fg: 9-16 3pt:3-7 ft:12-12 +/-: +1 off:1 reb:2 ast:5 to:5 stl:1 bs:0 ba:0 pf3 pts33

he was the leading scorer in the entire game with a nice shooting percentage and his +/- is only +1?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've got a question about that.....

Is it considered "your man" if he just made a shot over you, or is it your man based on position.

for example, say by some freak screen, Shaq suddenly has Tony guarding him. If he scores, does that negative count against Tony or does it count against whoever is playing center (Bonner or Tim?)
    I would count it on both... something probably went wrong defending a pick n roll and it is not easy to know who is to blame.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here's an example of how the +/- makes no sense

this is Nate Robinson's stat line from last nite's Knicks/Lakers game:

N. Robinson min:32:34 fg: 9-16 3pt:3-7 ft:12-12 +/-: +1 off:1 reb:2 ast:5 to:5 stl:1 bs:0 ba:0 pf3 pts33

he was the leading scorer in the entire game with a nice shooting percentage and his +/- is only +1?
    It's already been discussed that +/- is not a good guage over a small sample. Also what the people on the floor with you do affects it greatly. You're also not going to have a high number playing 30+ minutes in what turns out to be a 2 point game.

Of course, his +/- might have been higher (and the Knicks might have one) if he didn't have 5 turnovers. Not that I watched the game...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like most people I think it'd fair to give an assist to a guy passing to someone who gets fouled.That'd be similar to how they don't count it as a missed FG if the fouled player doesn't manage to score after the foul. Which leads me to my next proposal, albeit a bit off topic, but I think they shouldn't count those last second half-court prayers as missed FGAs because so many players just wait for the horn and then shoot. It's mind blogging how professional athletes care so much about one missed FGA in their stat sheet but there you go...

I wouldn't like to see the charges taken in the stat sheet for one reason and that's because it'd further increase the number of flops, I think refs are giving offensive fouls way too often these days, that sort of takes out a part of the game because players tend to try taking a charge so much more often than trying to make a good defensive play ( disclaimer : I know a charge taken is a good defensive play, but these get credited a bit too much nowadays IMO ).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's already been discussed that +/- is not a good guage over a small sample. Also what the people on the floor with you do affects it greatly.
    which is exactly why it makes no sense to have in the box score.

Of course, his +/- might have been higher (and the Knicks might have one) if he didn't have 5 turnovers. Not that I watched the game...
    take a look at the box score:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore...gid=2008121613

Anyone who wants to, feel free to take a shot at explaining why Harrington was a (-14) and Walton is a (+5).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    alright......I figured out the +/-........disregard the other idiot posts I made regarding it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any boxscore missing 'team rebounds' is worthless, IMO.

This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend sandman's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fouls away from ball. Helps understand if a player is consistently fouling when his man doesn't have the ball.

Con: Doesn't work in Haq-A-Shaq conditions

Tattoos to Minutes Played. Helps understand the overall thuggery and sucker-punching while back-pedaling levels of a team.

Con: The Denver Nuggets would dominate this stat in 1960's Celtics dynasty fashion

Bench Towel Waves. Helps understand the number of times that the bench warming white big man jumps off the bench to cheerlead.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    +/- stats need to be normalized on a per possession basis and the points from free-throws should be not be incorporated either...

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    theybshould count charges as steals imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jerseys sold

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    euro box scores measure how many fouls you draw

Thread Information