Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When a player intentionally tips a rebound (ususually offensive) into a the hands of a player from his same team, which obviously gives that team another offensive look, is that considered a OR?

(sort of what Oberto does a lot)
    Yes it's considered an offensive rebound. About 95% of the time the player who tipped the ball gets credit for the rebound. The rule stats that it must be a "controlled tip" to receive credit but statisticians almost always count it -- especially if it's a big tipping it to a small.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes it's considered an offensive rebound. About 95% of the time the player who tipped the ball gets credit for the rebound. The rule stats that it must be a "controlled tip" to receive credit but statisticians almost always count it -- especially if it's a big tipping it to a small.
    Thks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing I've ever had an interest in is "points assisted" instead of "baskets assisted."
    Good one

I remember Parker led the league one year in three-pointers assisted. Points assisted would probably put Parker pretty high in the rankings -- especially considering a lot of his assists consist of him driving into the lane and then finding a three-point shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good one

I remember Parker led the league one year in three-pointers assisted. Points assisted would probably put Parker pretty high in the rankings -- especially considering a lot of his assists consist of him driving into the lane and then finding a three-point shooter.
    If a guard passes the ball to a cutter who then blows a layup, but gets fouled, does it count as an assist for the guard if the cutter makes FTs? Probably not, but just curious...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I also think it'd be a good idea for stats to be tracked by a third party and not someone associated with the specific home team. That way players like Chris Paul (and John Stockton back in the day) don't get their stats inflated by a homer statistician. With every game on TV nowadays, it'd be pretty easy to have remote statisticians for each game.
    double amen. The *assists* that Magic used to be gifted were bogus. He'd toss it into Kareem, Kream would hold the ball for 4 seconds, take three dribbles and three steps and skyhook and Tragic would get the assist. The Finals where Michael Jordan smoked him (91?), Jordan led Magic in assists up until the final game, whereupon Magic was gifted 20 or so to barely overtake MJ for the series.

blown assists, whereupon sweet pass is made and layup is blown, i like that idea.
    Adjusted fg%
    ball in possession of player, like that one too. We could then figure out who takes the longest to score and who is quickest. Fabs Oberto would probably lead in that catagory since his scoring consists of getting the pass from Tim or Manu and laying it in.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    shooting percentage against
    Would be good.

So would turnovers forced/drawn.

They could add calls ed about, then you'd have Kobe, Tim, LeBron, Nash, Wade, Dirk, TMac, etc. putting up double figures categories in another category. Tim could average a double double in points, boards, and CBAPG.

It is what it is. I Love Me Some Me's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a new stat, but I've always thought PGs get robbed when they throw a nice pass, no basket but the player gets fouled and winds up on the FT line.

Should get a full assist if both FTs are made, and 1/2 if one is made

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i always wondered how many shots duncan changed throughout the course of a game. I feel like he changes a lot of shots dramatically but blocks them only now and then. It's a big subjective, but i've always thought of the "hurried" category in football compared to "sacked" would be a decent analogy to this. so a changed shot would be like when they say how many times a quarterback has been hurried in football, and the block would be equivalent to the sack because everyone knows when that happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a new stat, but I've always thought PGs get robbed when they throw a nice pass, no basket but the player gets fouled and winds up on the FT line.

This has been something I never understood for years.

Another is charges/charges taken.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd also like a "potential assist" stat. That stat would help better gauge whether a point guard simply isn't creating good enough or if his teammates were just missing shots.
    i'm not sure about this one. it could be a good idea but the problem is that in NBA, fans and journalists always want to measure exactly the contribution of a player. I think it's too much. we're not in a swimming contest where a simple stopwatch could say who is the best. sometimes stats are really interesting but way more used in US IMHO.

here you'd want to have "potential assist" to prevent a player for being "robbed" for an assist because of his teamate missing his shot. but in bball, you rely on your teamate.
    Should we have a stat for "difficult shot" because your teamates suck and you're always doubled. or because you're the one taking the difficult shot at the end of the clock. should we have "great assist" when your teamate just has to put it in the hole without no one guarding him and "simple assist" because your pass was made an assist thanks to a circus shot by your teamate.

I'd also think it'd be a good idea for stats to be tracked by a third party and not someone associated with the specific home team. That way players like Chris Paul (and John Stockton back in the day) don't get their stats inflated by a homer statistician. With every game on TV nowadays, it'd be pretty easy to have remote statisticians for each game.
    + 1

If a guard passes the ball to a cutter who then blows a layup, but gets fouled, does it count as an assist for the guard if the cutter makes FTs? Probably not, but just curious...
    i asked this in a previous thread and obviously not in NBA. i think it's yes in europe because i saw it. maybe fiba rules.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They could add the number of possession for each player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They could add the number of possession for each player.
    Hollinger PER has something like this (it's called Usq i think).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Slightly off topic, but considering a scenario wher Manu has 10 And1 layups in a game(only shots he takes for the whole game), would his FGM-FGA be 0-0? I'm not sure, but I don't think they're counted(unless maybe only and 1s are counted). And if TP assisted said layups would he get the assists counted for him? I would think so, but I'm not positive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slightly off topic, but considering a scenario wher Manu has 10 And1 layups in a game(only shots he takes for the whole game), would his FGM-FGA be 0-0? I'm not sure, but I don't think they're counted(unless maybe only and 1s are counted). And if TP assisted said layups would he get the assists counted for him? I would think so, but I'm not positive.
    If I understand the scenario correctly, Manu would be 10-10 from the field for the layups he made, and if Parker assisted on all of them he would have those 10 assists.

Thank you, Tim Duncan! peskypesky's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I vote for the charges. If you're going to count steals, which result in a change of possession, then why not charges? Seems pretty obvious to me now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blow by's - whenever and offensive player shakes someone up, breaking their ankles and leaving them in the dust, also splitting double teams, and beating traps through dribbling.

Charges Avoided - whenever a player avoids a defender trying to take a charge.

Multiple screen open looks - whenever a player get an open look utilizing more than 1 screen. Would be interesting to find out which players have this offensive savvy. Some people are reputedly good at it like, Rip Hamilton and Reggie Miller.

Backdoor Buckets.

GRANT HILL!
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    player iq

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amount of time spent putting your warmup pants back on instead of sitting on the bench.

Micheal Finley would lead the league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Part of the reason I'd rather see a pts assisted. FTs would count for that.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'd like to see deflections added. Lot's of plays are stopped due to deflections. Deflections are neither a steal or a turnover but they can stop a score.

Let's say there's a big man wide open in the paint and the point guard sees him and zings a pass in. At the last second, somebody sees it and tips the ball out of bounds. Nobody gets credit for that play even though it stopped an easy score.

Deflections would reward active defensive players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "and one" free throw attempts.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIT: Rebounds in Traffic. Why should a player be credited for a rebound that: has been tapped out to him, fallen in his lap after a bad shot, or off a missed free throw.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    charges taken per game is kind of useless by itself. there are only a few charges a game and only by a few select players. i think they should count that though by clumping steals and charges taken with a forced turnovers category. that way, a FTO category can take into account all sorts of defensive plays. i also agree with the points assisted. free throws made getting a foul should be counted in the points assisted.

THANK YOU BASED NEAL ClingingMars's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there should be some kind of meter that measures the suckage of the mavs in the 4th q.

-Mars

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No wonder most players from Europe of who played in Europe are so good at it.
    Just think about it for a second,if the NBA could include it on the stats, players would have to work on it in order to get better and most important in order to look better in the boxscores.
    Now that you mention it.. It might be possible that the NBA chooses not to put chages drawn as an official stat because it would encourage something they aren't sure it would benefit the game as they see it.
    Even though it could be very interesting to have it put in numbers, I'm not sure I'd added it if I can.

PS: Open shots made/missed, gotten; would be interesting as a team. IMO It says a lot about any team's offensive end and a lot about the other team's defense as something like "Open shots allowed"

Thread Information