Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toros knock off D-Fenders for eighth straight victory

Box Score

AUSTIN, TX - Andre Brown led the Toros to a 98-90 victory over the D-Fenders with 16 points and 15 rebounds on Saturday night at the Austin Convention Center. The win was the Toros eighth victory in a row, the second longest winning streak in franchise history.

The Toros had five players score in double figures. Along with Brown's 18 points, Marcus Williams added 18 points, Malik Hairston added 16 points, Charles Gaines chipped in 17 points and Brian Morrison had 12 points.

"Squeak is doing a great job leading the team," Toros head coach, Quin Snyder. "We were not as efficient offensively as we could have been, but we were able to make enough plays. "

The Toros have also won six in a row at the Austin Convention Center.

After leading by seven at the half, the Toros built their lead to 19 points on a Marcus Williams 3-pointer. The D-Fenders cut the Toros lead to seven points on two free throws from Joe Crawford with 1:53 remaining in the game.

The D-Fenders were led by CJ Giles' double-double of 18 points and 15 rebounds. The D-Fenders had four other players score in double figures. Dwayne Mitc had 19 points, Joe Crawford added 17 points and Brandon Heath chipped in 16 points.

The Toros have six days of rest before the team travels to Utah to face the Flash on Jan. 2 for their third away game of the season. The Toros are 2-0 away from Austin.

For ticket information, please call 512-236-8333 or visit austintoros.com.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3756604

Last edited by ChumpDumper; 12-28-2008 at 01:16 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Chump for the posts and the pictures. I learn much from you.

For ST you really make Toros a part of the Spurs.

Have a good year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, I'll give a couple of notes now that I'm back home.

Hairston and Marcus Williams had a tough time scoring tonight, and Williams was guarding Dwayne Mitc way too close on the perimeter, allowing him to score quite a bit on his drives in the first half. In the second, the Toros dominated the boards and limited Mitc to about half his first-half production.

Andre Brown had another solid game, but his production was matched by the D-Fenders' center CJ Giles, who also had five blocks. Apparently he got himself kicked off two D1 programs, but he has ridiculous size and good athleticism. If he ever gets his head on straight, he might be a nice player.
    Last edited by ChumpDumper; 12-28-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: M isn't even close to G on the keyboard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Giles was killing them last night - the Toros weren't doing a great job defending inside, there were lots of times that the D-Fenders got the ball into the paint with ease. They missed a lot of close-in shots they should have made.

It was my first time to attend a Toros game - a lot of fun and I'll be taking advantage of a sweet offer to get 4 seats to all of the remaining games. The Toros could use some more fans who actually get involved, so for those of you in or near Austin, get on-board. I loved seeing how Snyder worked with the guys, from the near-NBA caliber guys all the way to the project players like Serge Angounou.
    Last edited by CubanMustGo; 12-28-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: hey, if Chump can undo his mistakes so can I ;-)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you guys mean CJ Giles???

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeh, sorry, it was Giles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, I'll give a couple of notes now that I'm back home.

Hairston and Marcus Williams had a tough time scoring tonight, and Williams was guarding Dwayne Mitc way too close on the perimeter, allowing him to score quite a bit on his drives in the first half. In the second, the Toros dominated the boards and limited Mitc to about half his first-half production.

Andre Brown had another solid game, but his production was matched by the D-Fenders' center CJ Miles, who also had five blocks. Apparently he got himself kicked off two D1 programs, but he has ridiculous size and good athleticism. If he ever gets his head on straight, he might be a mice player.
    Quick, get the cheese

just messin with ya CD

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miles, mice -- what the ?

I wasn't even drunk.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miles, mice -- what the ?

I wasn't even drunk.

Thanks for the notes Chump. You do bring the Toros home for us, it's appreciated.

Marcus Eliot Williams Austin_Toros's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow! toros win again

they look like they can challenge for the le again this season

andre brown has really helped them, hasn't he?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some other D-league news: Courtney Sims had another monster game for the Iowa Energy tonight, scoring 36 points, grabbing 16 rebounds, and blocking 3 shots. He leads the D-league in Efficiency and rebounding, is second in FG%, and 6th in Free Throw attempts per game. Two of the weakest spots for the Spurs right now are rebounding and FT attempts. I think it would be a great idea for the Spurs to take a serious look at him
    and see how he compares to Mahinmi once he's healthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Chump for the posts and the pictures. I learn much from you.

For ST you really make Toros a part of the Spurs.

Have a good year.
    +1

BTW, Do the Toros make money? Lots of empty seats. Maybe the cost is offset by the value of developing players?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they were pretty close to a break-even business before he Spurs bought them. This year the crowds are lower than last, but not completely dead. the big stands there are always behind me; most of the folks are back there.

If a group of you guys ever wants to go to any game, let me know. I'll hook you up.

January 10 would be the best day for anyone from SA to come up. It's a Saturday with no Spurs game to conflict with it.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some other D-league news: Courtney Sims had another monster game for the Iowa Energy tonight, scoring 36 points, grabbing 16 rebounds, and blocking 3 shots. He leads the D-league in Efficiency and rebounding, is second in FG%, and 6th in Free Throw attempts per game. Two of the weakest spots for the Spurs right now are rebounding and FT attempts. I think it would be a great idea for the Spurs to take a serious look at him
    and see how he compares to Mahinmi once he's healthy.
    I saw that too. He has also done better at not turning the ball over in the last 3 games. He has had a total of 6 turnovers in the last 3 games while in the 3 games before that he had 15 turnovers. Another stat of note is offensive boards...as he has pulled down 19 in the last 3 games.

He is certainly interesting, but I would rather wait and see how the Mutombo thing turns out...as I would rather have him over any D-League big. We will also know more if Tolliver is still around after contracts become guaranteed.

Thread Information