Spurs, Colts, Cowboys, and Irish SpursFanFirst's Avatar
    Post Count
    Piling on: Jets teammates unhappy with Favre
    by FOXSports.com
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...Favre?MSNHPHMA

Updated: January 1, 2009, 10:11 AM EST 704 comments
    add this RSS blog email Print
    As if finding a new head coach, preparing for the draft and figuring out whether the star quarterback will be part of their future aren't big enough issues, the New York Jets have a new problem to deal with as they begin 2009.

Brett Favre is not a popular guy with his teammates, some of whom think the legendary quarterback needed to be held accountable for crucial mistakes down the stretch as the team missed a playoff berth.

Appearing on a local radio show Tuesday, Jets running back Thomas Jones said Favre should have been benched during his three-interception performance against the Dolphins on Sunday, according to The Daily News.

"We're a team and we win together ... but at the same time, you can't turn the ball over and expect to win," Jones said in the interview. "The other day, the three interceptions really hurt us. I mean, that's just reality. If I were to sit here and say, 'Oh, man, it's OK,' that's not reality.

"The reality is, you throw interceptions, I'm (ticked) off, I don't like it. You know what I'm saying? I don't like it, I know everybody else on the team doesn't like it."

The veteran running back, coming off a 1,300-yard season with 13 touchdowns on the ground, went so far as to say coach Eric Mangini should have benched Favre, a training-camp addition to the roster after retiring from the Green Bay Pacers and then changing his mind.

"If somebody is not playing well, they need to come out of the game," Jones said in the WQHT-FM interview. "You're jeopardizing the whole team because you're having a bad day. To me, that's not fair to everybody else. You're not the only one on the team."

Playing with a sore shoulder, Favre, 39, threw nine interceptions during the Jets' 1-4 December swoon, finishing with a league-high 22 and adding to his reputation as a gunslinger perhaps too confident in his own abilities.

Another player said Favre was an awkward fit from almost the moment the Jets traded for him on Aug. 6 and released Chad Pennington. Favre reportedly spent considerable time during the season in a private office near the equipment room rather than in the locker room.

"There was a lot of resentment in the room about him," the anonymous teammate told Newsday. "He never socialized with us, never went to dinner with anyone."

Owner Woody Johnson has indicated he wants to see Favre back in 2009, but Jones' outburst is an indication that the quarterback has work to do on and off the field with his teammates if he plans to return next season.

On Monday, fourth-year safety Kerry Rhodes told the paper: "If he's dedicated and he wants to come back and do this, and do it the right way ... and be here when we're here in training camp and the minicamps and working out with us ... then I'm fine with it. But don't come back if it's going to be halfhearted or he doesn't want to put the time in with us."

And the issue may extend beyond the locker room as the Jets look for Mangini's replacement.

"I want (Favre) out of the building before I get there," one general manager told The Daily News in analyzing the thought process of prospective coaches. "He's finished. You can read Mangini's body language: 'We can't control him. He will not follow. He's undisciplined. Belligerent.'

"Why would any reasonable man even want him around if you are trying to get a fresh start?"
    He's making friends everywhere he goes.
    Favre just keeps making a mess of his legacy.

My Team
    Indianapolis Colts
    Post Count
    this is great news

Jets players are pathetic. They won like 3-4 games last year. Show some class. Patriots in the same division went 11-5 and did not make playoffs. Thomas Jones played for the Bears for crying out loud, he has no clue what a good QB is. STFU losers.

My Team
    New York Jets
    Post Count
    Jets players are pathetic. They won like 3-4 games last year. Show some class. Patriots in the same division went 11-5 and did not make playoffs.
    WTF? They made significant improvements on defense last offseason, it wasn't just Favre that was new. With Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff, or even Chad Pennington, this would've been a playoffs team. Who led the NFL in INTs this year?

Thomas Jones played for the Bears for crying out loud, he has no clue what a good QB is. STFU losers.
    Well, he did play for a team that went to the SB.

WTF? They made significant improvements on defense last offseason, it wasn't just Favre that was new. With Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff, or even Chad Pennington, this would've been a playoffs team. Who led the NFL in INTs this year?

Well, he did play for a team that went to the SB.
    This does not happen unless you are T.O. Teammates donot run to the press and blame each other. It shows NO CLASS what so ever and facts are facts. The Jets were a bad team last year. For you to say Pennington would have lead this team to the playoffs is crazy. Obviously the fired coach had no faith in him so what would have changed. Obviously the Jets coach claim to fame is turning in the Patriots for cheating. Obviously the coach was a bad ing coach.Clemens SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Who the is Ratlff. What has he done to make you think he is a playoff QB. Thomas Jones team went to the playoffs and it was not by any stretch of anyones imagination the QB doings. I did not hear Jones mouth off then. Farve has been to the SB as well and won 1. The guy is 39 years old and a hall of famer. Show some class. Nobody should want those whinny ass es on there team. You win as a team and lose as one. Have some balls and go to Farve. Not some am radio station. Makes me sick
    Last edited by jack sommerset; 01-01-2009 at 06:55 PM.

My Team
    New York Jets
    Post Count
    The Jets were a bad team last year. For you to say Pennington would have lead this team to the playoffs is crazy.
    Really? Then what would you have said to someone saying Pennington would lead the 1-15 Fins to the playoffs the next year?

Really? Then what would you have said to someone saying Pennington would lead the 1-15 Fins to the playoffs the next year?
    I would have said Parcells and the new coaching staff did a great freaken job. Wildcat formation, Joey Porter 17 sacks, Brown and Williams running the ball well. Short high percentage passing,Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas needed to go all point to Parcells not Penningtons noodle arm. Don't get me wrong, great story but Mangini has proven he is not a head coach in this league. He shows once again Belichicks assistants were just that, Assistants. Again for Thomas Jones to run to the press and blame one player for not making the playoffs is ridiculous. They were at 8-3. Farve was one of 53 players on that team that finished 1-4. Just maybe there is something behind road teams that travel coast to coast. There is a rumor that they lose more often then not. Anyways 53 players lead by Mangini was the reason for the collapse.

Spurs, Colts, Cowboys, and Irish SpursFanFirst's Avatar
    Post Count
    It sounds to me like Favre brought a lot of this on himself - spending time in a separate office from the other guys, not showing up for camp and practices, etc.
    You add that to the circus he surrounded himself with during the offseason, and I have a hard time feeling sorry for the guy.

And I agree with SATown. I think the Jets would've been a playoff team this year with Pennington.
    I really don't think Favre brought all that much to the Jets team. He certainly didn't bring any leadership.

It sounds to me like Favre brought a lot of this on himself - spending time in a separate office from the other guys, not showing up for camp and practices, etc.
    You add that to the circus he surrounded himself with during the offseason, and I have a hard time feeling sorry for the guy.

And I agree with SATown. I think the Jets would've been a playoff team this year with Pennington.
    I really don't think Favre brought all that much to the Jets team. He certainly didn't bring any leadership.

To each is to own. I find it hard to believe if not laughable that the same QB that won maybe 4 games last year with Jets could lead the same team to atleast 7 more wins the next year. I get they added some D in offseason.Mangini had no confidence in him. That would not have changed.Patriots were 11-5 and did not make the playoffs.But you think Pennington lead Jets would have done better knowing Mangini ran the show. Interesting.

My Team
    New York Jets
    Post Count
    Clemens split time at QB last season for the Jets after they kicked Pennington to the curb. And it's not the same team as last year, I don't know what makes you think they are. I don't think you watch very many Jets games, or else you'd see how improved this year's team was compared to the pathetic 07 team

My Team
    New York Jets
    Post Count
    But you think Pennington lead Jets would have done better knowing Mangini ran the show. Interesting.
    Why the not? A Pennington-lead team coached by Mangini went to the playoffs in two season ago, and Pennington was 1 FG away from the AFC Championship in 04 (with HERM IN EDWARDS). Miami wouldn't be in the playoffs if it wasn't for Pennington, given he dinks and dunks the out of the opposing D, but it works. He's a winner, and if not for his shoulder surgerIES, he could've done a lot more

My Team
    New York Jets
    Post Count
    It seems to me that you're giving waaaaaay too much credit to the coaches and staff

nope. parcells has a proven record with Giants,Patriots,Jets,Cowboys and it appears he saved his best for last. again what would have changed if pennington would have stayed a jet. nothing.

My Team
    New York Jets
    Post Count
    again what would have changed if pennington would have stayed a jet. nothing.
    OK, I agree that nothing would've changed because they had already made a decision that made Clemens the starting QB (a decision heavily influenced by NY media and pressure from the crowd). Call me crazy, but any QB could have played better than Favre the last 5 games of the season. You can't blame Mangini and co for that

My Team
    New York Jets
    Post Count
    nope. parcells has a proven record with Giants,Patriots,Jets,Cowboys and it appears he saved his best for last.
    100% agree

Thats cool but all I am saying is one guy can't be blamed for losing and TJ was wrong for going to the press blaming him. Also one guy can't be rewared for winning. Football is the ultimate team sport.I think the Pennington story is one of the best of all time regarding the NFL and how teams just spit you out. It also shows Mangini screwed up but he also made other mistakes.

My Team
    New York Jets
    Post Count
    Couldn't have said it better myself

Post Count
    Brett, its been fun.

Go home and ride your tractor until the Hall calls.

Post Count
    Jets players are pathetic. They won like 3-4 games last year. Show some class. Patriots in the same division went 11-5 and did not make playoffs. Thomas Jones played for the Bears for crying out loud, he has no clue what a good QB is. STFU losers.
    he was hurt and kepted playing benching him would have been smart
    but he had to play to break the records

if he was someone else he would have been benched
    even andy reid benched his star quarterback a second half of a game

Post Count
    Brett, its been fun.

Go home and ride your tractor until the Hall calls.
    hall should never call

Can't Start Threads
    Post Count
    Bretts been washed up for years already. The old man thought he was still young. And unfortunately there was a team out there who listened to him. And heres another thing. Id be willing to bet if he had some kind of tweak to his shoulder during the offseason, teams would still look at him and give him a shot. Brett and Romo could take turns throwing interceptions in Dallas's new stadium. With Jerry Jones anything is possible. Jerry might bring in Vick as well to run the ball when he gets tired of watching his QB's throw to many picks.

He's making friends everywhere he goes.
    Favre just keeps making a mess of his legacy.
    TJ is fundamentally right, Mangini should have benched Favre when it was obvious he was injured/in tailspin mode.

Post Count
    Favre was done. Mangini's biggest sin was not dealing with that appropriately, hence he is gone. It all seems very simple to me.

The fact is that a lot of Jets' players probably thought Pennington got screwed and that they would have made the playoffs with Pennington. I would think that they are in a better position to figure this out than so-called jack sommerset.

Post Count
    Before he got hurt Favre was playing damn damn good.

The injury along with Mangini acting like a child from day 1 from the trade didn't help anything.

When the head coach acts like that, its gonna inevitably trickle down to the players, and IMO, thats what failed the Jets.

Favre not being healthy at the end of the year obviously hurt, but the defense was bad in some key games.

I hope Favre does retire, I think a torn labrum at his age is impossible to come back from, and the Jets need to turn the page.

IMO, the Jets need to make a hard HARD run at Matt Cassell, or, maybe go and take a Marc Bulger who is still a good quarterback, his team around him is just putrid.

The Jets are close. They had a good year, their quarterback just broke down and apparently the team broke down and the former coach has some blame to take from that.

Thread Information