Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you want credit for proposing a trade that will never happen?
    Yep, exactly. Thanks for chiming in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well you had previously said guys like me had no knowledge.
    Link?

I just like how I proposed Collison a month ago. That's all.
    Collison has been a SpursTalk favorite target for about four years now . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost...2&postcount=63

Were you not including me in this famed blame parker bandwagon?

Collison has been a SpursTalk favorite target for about four years now . . .
    Link?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost...2&postcount=63

Were you not including me in this famed blame parker bandwagon?

Link?
    Not that timvp ever needs any help handing someone's ass back to them, but...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...+nick+collison

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not that timvp ever needs any help handing someone's ass back to them, but...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...+nick+collison
    One thread about trading a Euro-player who had no NBA experience for collison with 14 replies? Man my ass sure hurts from it being handed to me so hard!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, we're not getting Collison for trash. At the same time, he seems like an overpaid role player. He would help us, but not with that salary.

Begin Gist rambling...

With our need for another big, I realize the advantage of trying out 10-dayers. Who knows, maybe Croshere will work out? If he can't rebound then he seems redundant.

But I wonder about the prospects of bringing Gist over this year. I'm not sure if that's even possible due to his contract. I'll defer to the Gist scholars on that one. But the reason I go back to Gist is that, at least in my opinion, he was passed over this year because of the perceived need for a long-range shooting PF (someone had to fit into Horry's cinderella sneaker.)

Tolliver was insurance in case Bonner continued to stink. Now that Bonner doesn't stink, and in fact is playing almost as well as we can expect for someone of his abilities, and that Tolliver has been cut because his role was already being filled by Bonner, I wonder if we knew then what we know now, would we not have kept Gist in the Summer? In other words, if Bonner wasn't a potential liability would we have kept Gist?

Of course that's hindsight now, but if we liked Gist then is there any reason not to bring him over this season if it's possible? I mean, if we're going to try out wash-ups like Croshere or DL players, then why not Gist, especially if he's already a part of our plans?

He'd be coming in as cold as any other new player who doesn't know the system, except that he would have some prior experience.

Our front line is still very weak outside of Tim. I suppose I don't see the point in waiting around until next year if we could use Gist now. For those who say he still needs seasoning, well, so do scrubs in the DL.

He has the tools to be a taller version of Hill on defense. Our defense needs help.

...end Gist Rambling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, we're not getting Collison for trash.
    What's trash though? Would OKC rather have two expiring contracts? It would take some kind of finagling if you don't include someone who has a larger salary (like Oberto).

At the same time, he seems like an overpaid role player. He would help us, but not with that salary.

Begin Gist rambling...

With our need for another big, I realize the advantage of trying out 10-dayers. Who knows, maybe Croshere will work out? If he can't rebound then he seems redundant.

But I wonder about the prospects of bringing Gist over this year. I'm not sure if that's even possible due to his contract. I'll defer to the Gist scholars on that one. But the reason I go back to Gist is that, at least in my opinion, he was passed over this year because of the perceived need for a long-range shooting PF (someone had to fit into Horry's cinderella sneaker.)
    I'm not a Gist scholar but I would assume he has some kind of contract with his European team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gist is getting 27+ minutes with his european team this year. The kid needs to stay and get playing time instead of either sitting on the bench or playing against lesser competition in austin. Also, who is to say that when Gist comes to NBA he will sign with the spurs. I do not believe they own his rights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gist is getting 27+ minutes with his european team this year. The kid needs to stay and get playing time instead of either sitting on the bench or playing against lesser competition in austin. Also, who is to say that when Gist comes to NBA he will sign with the spurs. I do not believe they own his rights.
    You're wrong. They drafted him. They own his rights.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gist was drafted by the spurs so they own his rights.
    "You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away men's initiative and independence." ~~ William John Henry Boetcker

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government — lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” – Patrick Henry

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're wrong. They drafted him. They own his rights.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure since they cut him that they own his rights if comes back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. I wasn't sure since they cut him that they own his rights if comes back.
    Here ya go.

"An Italian Web site reported Friday that James Gist, the Spurs’ second-rounder from Maryland, had agreed to a deal with a team in Italy. A Spurs source said Gist has not yet signed with any team overseas, leaving open the possibility he still could begin next season in San Antonio.

If Gist were to sign with a foreign team, the Spurs would retain his NBA rights."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...e=99597&spln=1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do we have to trade for him? IAN?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thread about trading a Euro-player who had no NBA experience for collison with 14 replies? Man my ass sure hurts from it being handed to me so hard!
    You asked for a link and I gave you one.

If you wanted more, you should've asked for links.

English, kids.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You asked for a link and I gave you one.

If you wanted more, you should've asked for links.

English, kids.
    That link fails to prove, "Collison has been a SpursTalk favorite target for about four years now . . . "

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're excellent at losing arguments and not acknowledging it. I'll give you props for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're excellent at losing arguments and not acknowledging it. I'll give you props for that.
    What argument did I lose?

I guess I'm also good at attracting 28 year old UTSA students. When was the last time you posted in the Spurs forum?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Collison would be a good role player, and since Oklahoma is a team with three good young players and a future but no hope of contending this year, it's seems plausible that they would trade him to sweep away more cap room and clear space for 2010. Collison's the kind of guy that won't do much for a young & still mediocre team like Oklahoma, but could be very helpful to a contender. I feel the same way about Jared Jeffries, too, who seems to me to be one of the better & most versatile defenders in the league right now.

Let the insults start flying... why do so many threads on spurstalk feel like gang wars where people chose sides and go for the throat of all who offer different opinions, rather than a place where basketball fans can talk about the game they supposedly love. Oh well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That link fails to prove, "Collison has been a SpursTalk favorite target for about four years now . . . "
    A post from 2006 with a horde of SpursTalk posters, timvp included, all over Nick Collison's nuts?

I'll cut you the missing year, but still..Do you need me to draw you a diagram here?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs do own his rights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since he was never signed by the Spurs outside of summer league, he was never cut.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm...I guess finally somebody who at least could work. But I doubt that it is gonna happen. Good looking prospect though and not some psycho dickhead like Rasheed Wallace...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This discussion has rounded the bases, and I'm not sure if this is much of a rumor. Kori Ellis' point that Stein does not actually mention Collision is salient. Stein does confirm that the Jazz are shopping Fesenko. He has a team option after the season, and is cheap. He wouldn't help this season, but for a second round or two is better than anything the Spurs will pick up late. It might be worth trading for his training camp rights if nothing of immediate help pans out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gist is not improving much as of lately.
    He is raw material, 2 years from NBA level, minimum.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gist isn't exactly raw. he already has the athleticism to rebound and defend in the NBA. he most likely would have turned out to be a pure hustle player if he signed with the spurs this year. he would rebound, defend, clean up around the rim, and play the pick and roll. i think the spurs see more potential in him so they sent him away to work on his mid range and perimeter skills. he has already proved he can play around the basket so if he develops some perimeter skills he will become a well rounded player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ghost won't like him. He white.
    Ah, the irony.

He'd be a perfect fit, but with a $6mil salary that goes to 2011, highly unlikely.

Tell people something they know already and they will thank you for it. Tell them something new and they will hate you for it. - George Monbiot http://www.monbiot.com/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If all it took was Fab and JV (possible 2nd rd pick), would you guys still balk at this trade? This trade sounds one sided but both Fab and JV's contracts will be up by end of next year (with JV's up by end of this year). I for one am a fan of Collison, he is a smart player who can rebound which is exactly what we need. I for one do not see the spurs even making trade on this years team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If all it took was Fab and JV (possible 2nd rd pick), would you guys still balk at this trade? This trade sounds one sided but both Fab and JV's contracts will be up by end of next year (with JV's up by end of this year). I for one am a fan of Collison, he is a smart player who can rebound which is exactly what we need. I for one do not see the spurs even making trade on this years team.
    Unless OKC really just wants to clear cap by 2010 they're not gonna want Oberto.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless OKC really just wants to clear cap by 2010 they're not gonna want Oberto.
    True. But 3.5 mil looks much better than 6.5 against the cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say stick with the current team. We already had a rookie pg and a free agent trying to learn the system and they wouldnt want another one to come in when the season is already halfway. KT (and Bonner) is serviceable and when his elbow jumpers are dropping then he'll be great to draw out the bigs. Fabs is a high IQ player who feeds off TD and plays well with Manu. That's all we need.

Thread Information