Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should just go ahead and trade Parker for Gortat . . .
    I don't understand what's the fascination with trading Parker and Manu... I don't see many fans of NO trying to trade West or Paul, nor Portland fans wanting Oden or Roy out. Do we not realize what we have? You just don't break a proven championship core even if the trade sounds somewhat appealing, let alone all those flying around that are not even equal in value.
    Exactly. WTF, people?

No let's better just stay with what we have pretend like we aren't going to get our asses handed to us in the playoffs and wait 'till Hill becomes a free agent and decides to sign with a team that could get him more than 15 minutes a game. Yeah let's go spurs.
    Stop with the drama queen act. Hill will be a FA in 2012 - until then we have him on a very cheap rookie contract. And stop ignoring the obvious - Hill will take a bunch of Finley's minutes next year.

Who's pretending we can beat the Lakers in 7 games? We all know we need another big, we just don't think Hill for Marcin ing Gortat is the answer. Nor is trading Tony Parker for a bunch of maybe.

Stop panicking in January like someone who doesn't know the Spurs - you've been here long enough to know better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop with the drama queen act. Hill will be a FA in 2012 - until then we have him on a very cheap rookie contract. And stop ignoring the obvious - Hill will take a bunch of Finley's minutes next year.
    Obvious to who? to me it is obvious that Finley shouldn't be playing 35 minutes per game right now but Pop doesn't think so, so you never know. You should be the one stop ignoring the obvious: Gortat not only will be a great adition to this team for years to come but also for this season, thing that we can't say of Hill.

Who's pretending we can beat the Lakers in 7 games? We all know we need another big, we just don't think Hill for Marcin ing Gortat is the answer. Nor is trading Tony Parker for a bunch of maybe.
    So tell me what is the answer? We won't get a damn thing for Vaughn, Udoka or Oberto. And trading one of the big three definitely isn't the answer.

Stop panicking in January like someone who doesn't know the Spurs - you've been here long enough to know better
    I've never been the kind of fan that panicks after a regular season loss, but I always try to say what I trully think. And right now I think we have no chance of getting past the Lakers in the PO, but I also think that we're one decent big man away of having a fair chance of doing so. That's why I proposed that trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obvious to who? to me it is obvious that Finley shouldn't be playing 35 minutes per game right now but Pop doesn't think so, so you never know. You should be the one stop ignoring the obvious: Gortat not only will be a great adition to this team for years to come but also for this season, thing that we can't say of Hill. (1)

So tell me what is the answer? We won't get a damn thing for Vaughn, Udoka or Oberto. And trading one of the big three definitely isn't the answer. (2)

I've never been the kind of fan that panicks after a regular season loss, but I always try to say what I trully think. And right now I think we have no chance of getting past the Lakers in the PO, but I also think that we're one decent big man away of having a fair chance of doing so. That's why I proposed that trade. (3)
    (1) Finley's playing 28mins not 35, still too much, but you can bet Hill's minutes will increase next year - it is a natural progression we've seen with most players new to the Spurs' system. Next year Finley will be the 5th swing or retired, count on it. Hill hasn't been a great addition to the team? Which team are you watching?

As for Gortat, he's a solid player, but he's no Bynum-stopper, and if you are talking Lakers, that's what you're describing. And you still haven't convinced me why Orlando would give up their first big off the bench who they like and is earning 700k.

(2) I don't have the answer, except to say that I think Pop is playing CIA games with Mahinmi and that he will just appear fit and healthy one day soon and start playing. If not him, a salary dump trade at the deadline for someone.

(3) Just about every year things look bleak some time between Christmas and the start of March. And for each of the last 6 years the Spurs have gone deep in the playoffs despite the apparent mid-season gloom. trust in the FO and the team is all I can say - they have proven that they know what they're doing.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (1)
    (3) Just about every year things look bleak some time between Christmas and the start of March. And for each of the last 6 years the Spurs have gone deep in the playoffs despite the apparent mid-season gloom. trust in the FO and the team is all I can say - they have proven that they know what they're doing.
    Yea, they really knew what they were doing last year when they did not have enough off the bench to make up for Manu being nicked up in the playoffs.

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Defensively, Collison is no better than Oberto, let alone Kurt Thomas. Too slow-footed, not a strong post defender, lacks awareness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand what's the fascination with trading Parker and Manu... I don't see many fans of NO trying to trade West or Paul, nor Portland fans wanting Oden or Roy out. Do we not realize what we have? You just don't break a proven championship core even if the trade sounds somewhat appealing, let alone all those flying around that are not even equal in value.
    Exactly. There's no need to suggest any sort of roster overhaul, much less the thought of jettisoning one of our big three. Besides, you don't simply change out 3-4 players on your roster and expect "instant soup".

The Spurs simply need to seek to add a complmentary, reserve big, who can defend, rebound, and is a threat to score down low. I know that's a tall order because practically every team in the NBA needs such a player and the Spurs have litttle to no trade assets. A tall order, but not an impossible one. Collison isn't the ideal fit, but if he is the best they can get come the trade deadline, I'll take him. It's the frontline where there is the biggest deficiency right now. In order for the Spurs to improve their chances of advancing in the West, Tim desparately needs help.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defensively, Collison is no better than Oberto, let alone Kurt Thomas. Too slow-footed, not a strong post defender, lacks awareness.
    huh? slow footed? KT is as mobile as a hippo with cement shoes. Collison will look like a roadrunner on speed compared to him.
    yes, Collison is a similar player to Fab, there is a reason why many think he will fit well.
    but at this point he is a huge upgrade over Fab. younger, stronger, can leap a bit, better 15 footer. nice upgrade on defense and significant upgrade on offense.
    any trade package for Collison will likely include Fab and his cap friendly contract anyhow, so it would be replacing Fab with a similar but younger and better player. that's a nice improvement in my books.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    About Collison- So when and if its official when will we know?
    Last edited by 1usamotorsports.com; 01-20-2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: forgot

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    huh? slow footed? KT is as mobile as a hippo with cement shoes. Collison will look like a roadrunner on speed compared to him.
    yes, Collison is a similar player to Fab, there is a reason why many think he will fit well.
    but at this point he is a huge upgrade over Fab. younger, stronger, can leap a bit, better 15 footer. nice upgrade on defense and significant upgrade on offense.
    any trade package for Collison will likely include Fab and his cap friendly contract anyhow, so it would be replacing Fab with a similar but younger and better player. that's a nice improvement in my books.
    Yeah, he's certainly more mobile than Thomas, but that doesn't make him a better defender. KT's footwork, smartness and physicality are vastly superior. He doesn't have Oberto's size and smarts, either. What he brings over Oberto on the offensive end may very well be worth the added cost, depending on what else you offer, but I was just analyzing the defence.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, he's certainly more mobile than Thomas, but that doesn't make him a better defender. KT's footwork, smartness and physicality are vastly superior. He doesn't have Oberto's size and smarts, either. What he brings over Oberto on the offensive end may very well be worth the added cost, depending on what else you offer, but I was just analyzing the defence.
    you ignore my point. he wouldn't replace KT but likely defend more mobile bigs who KT no longer can guard. Collison will look better against Gasol than KT would. also against West.
    about size and smarts. he does have exactly the same size like Fab and is stronger. Collison measured 6'9'' without and 6'10'' in shoes. unlike many white bigs he also displays an above average wingspan at 7'1 1/2'' and a very good standing reach of 9'. combined with a better leaping ability than Fab (who can't leap at all, as we know) he plays significantly bigger than Fab.
    (there is a reason why he averages 3 more rebounds per 40 minutes than Fab)
    smarts? Collison is pretty smart. look out that this would become even more obvious if he got the chance to play for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I don't want the Spurs revisting past failures.
    championships? if it wasn't for his contract is all i'm saying...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collison -the mere existence of whom I totally and proudly ignored untill I quickly read the first page of this thread- would be #10, 11 or 12 on the rotation.

Could anyone PLEASE remind me the last time when a #10, 11, 12 of any team rotation has contributed to a Conference or NBA final?
    Other than for a couple of jokes while in the shower?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you ignore my point. he wouldn't replace KT but likely defend more mobile bigs who KT no longer can guard. Collison will look better against Gasol than KT would. also against West.
    about size and smarts. he does have exactly the same size like Fab and is stronger. Collison measured 6'9'' without and 6'10'' in shoes. unlike many white bigs he also displays an above average wingspan at 7'1 1/2'' and a very good standing reach of 9'. combined with a better leaping ability than Fab (who can't leap at all, as we know) he plays significantly bigger than Fab.
    (there is a reason why he averages 3 more rebounds per 40 minutes than Fab)
    smarts? Collison is pretty smart. look out that this would become even more obvious if he got the chance to play for the Spurs.
    I wonder why the Lakers haven't done that Collison for Gasol and a couple of first rounders.
    I guess it's just a matter of time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I highly doubt we acquire anybody of this talent..

we're most likely going to ride with Oberto and Mahinmi, and honestly, I have no problem with that..the fact that they haven't made any noise tells me that they're happy with what Ian is currently showing, and they believe he can contribute this year..

I'm in the minority here, but I believe we can definitely win a le this year with the current 15-man roster we have..I don't think we need to add anybody, I think we need to just improve as a team defensively and in terms of effort..

regarding Collison..I don't really see how he improves our team significantly..it's not worth putting up with his contract..

It's a process... mexicanjunior's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collison -the mere existence of whom I totally and proudly ignored untill I quickly read the first page of this thread- would be #10, 11 or 12 on the rotation.
    If Collison were with the Spurs, he would be starting ahead of Bonner...easily. He brings the defense and rebounding Oberto couldn't while also having a better offensive game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I highly doubt we acquire anybody of this talent..

we're most likely going to ride with Oberto and Mahinmi, and honestly, I have no problem with that..the fact that they haven't made any noise tells me that they're happy with what Ian is currently showing, and they believe he can contribute this year..

I'm in the minority here, but I believe we can definitely win a le this year with the current 15-man roster we have..I don't think we need to add anybody, I think we need to just improve as a team defensively and in terms of effort..

regarding Collison..I don't really see how he improves our team significantly..it's not worth putting up with his contract..
    I'd like to think that Ian figures into their plans this year, but somehow that idea seems to fade with each passing game. If the Spurs are truly happy with their roster, this would contradict the published reports that claim they are again in the market for a big before the trade deadline.

It's a process... mexicanjunior's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to think that Ian figures into their plans this year, but somehow that idea seems to fade with each passing game. If the Spurs are truly happy with their roster, this would contradict the published reports that claim they are again in the market for a big before the trade deadline.
    If the Spurs approved of their current big situation, I don't think we would have read as much about them trying to sign Mutumbo...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would agree, but I haven't really taken any of the "rumors" seriously..we hear Spurs rumors every year, and there usually isn't a big move..we're always the first team people mention in regards to any veteran addition..

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs approved of their current big situation, I don't think we would have read as much about them trying to sign Mutumbo...
    They weren't. It was all trumped up BS by Mutombo's agent...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think its a little funny that this thread is still going despite...
    Did you guys listen to the audio? Stein doesn't mention anything about Nick Collison. He just says that it's no secret that the Spurs are looking for one more player before the deadline.

The Collison part looks like just a teaser that ESPN.com added in because Bucher had mentioned it in the mag.
    I know the discussion has become more general, but still.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, it's possible..but personally, I'd be surprised if the 4th and 5th bigs in the rotation isn't a combination of Oberto, Mahinmi, Croshere or Robert Horry..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. There's no need to suggest any sort of roster overhaul, much less the thought of jettisoning one of our big three. Besides, you don't simply change out 3-4 players on your roster and expect "instant soup".

The Spurs simply need to seek to add a complmentary, reserve big, who can defend, rebound, and is a threat to score down low. I know that's a tall order because practically every team in the NBA needs such a player and the Spurs have litttle to no trade assets. A tall order, but not an impossible one. Collison isn't the ideal fit, but if he is the best they can get come the trade deadline, I'll take him. It's the frontline where there is the biggest deficiency right now. In order for the Spurs to improve their chances of advancing in the West, Tim desparately needs help.

Which has been a problem for many years. As pointed out many a time in other threads as well as above ALL NBA teams could use this yet the FO and Pop get banged on consistently for not getting one.

Like they are supposed to come up with that piece of the puzzle yearly?

With very little trade assets compared with other teams???

With an owner who refuses to go into the luxury tax territory much less deep as other owners have? Remember Jackie Butler? Dumped his salary at the cost of Scola?

If we had kept Scola - I'm not starting a Scola thread!!! - this discussion is moot. Or if Splitter comes over this year - maybe then again maybe not.

Oh to have that kind of hindsight!

They tried to do that with KT last year and it cost us our 1st in the 2009 draft. Can't trade the 2010 1st since it isn't allowed - can't trade to consecutive 1st rd picks - NBA rules IIRC - so that asset isn't available.

Things don't always work out the eay you would like but I think the FO/Pop are still looking into this. But let's face it - the Spurs are very limited in what they can offer so whatever is availble that can be had is something that they will consider.

I will massacre you!
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Nick Collison is a worthless stick who got his face broken last year for being a ing pussy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be nice if we could some how swing a deal that would bring David Lee to San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be nice if we could some how swing a deal that would bring David Lee to San Antonio.
    That would be very nice. Unfortunately, Isiah doesn't work there any more.

Thread Information