My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Thorpe's Analysis

January 06, 2009

Another guy who has terrific defensive potential, Hill plays on a team that needs offensive firepower off the bench. Sometimes. Recently, they've not needed Hill at all, so he's been quiet, scoring just 10 points in the Spurs' past six games (five were wins) before Monday. But they needed his scoring badly in Miami on Monday, and Hill delivered, scoring 15 points in 17 minutes and making all three of his 3s. I continue to see a similar trend all season for Hill and the Spurs, with Popovich getting him minutes every game to keep him plugged in, expecting a few nights like we saw in Miami.

December 19, 2008

I loved what the Spurs' coaches were doing with Hill before their game in Orlando on Thursday. They weren't practicing the all-too-common spot shooting or simple curl/fade stuff. Instead, they had Hill using a ballscreen where he had to immediately deal with the hedge defender. It was full of the little nuances that make a drill feel "game-like" -- eyes watching for teammates, looking off defenders, changing speeds, etc. The players who get better every month are not necessarily working harder than their counterparts, but smarter

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hill is infinitely disadvantaged in the Rookie ego race because he is actually playing w/ a championship caliber team/coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hill is a top five rookie. Because of lack of playing time, he won't make 1st team, unless that changes the second half.

But if Hill doesn't make 2nd team, that would be a crime that should be investigated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who cares.

Hill will be the rookie ending with the 2009 ring

Marcus Eliot Williams Austin_Toros's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hill is a top five rookie. Because of lack of playing time, he won't make 1st team, unless that changes the second half.

But if Hill doesn't make 2nd team, that would be a crime that should be investigated.
    that sounds about right
    i just think spurs fans have to appreciate the fact that we got a tip top rookie with a late 1st round pick..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With 25-30 Minutes per game, Hill would have really good stats. The guys ahead of him in SA will keep his minutes down. I bet you he would go a lot higher in the draft if the teams had a do over.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agree!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree.
    That said it is even worse for a player like Batum who is receiving his minutes with the starting unit and don't have any system for him. This is a rookie who is the best perimeter defender for his team (not that impressive, this is obviously not Portland's strength). As a rookie he was already assigned Lebron, Kobe, Wade, TMac, Stojakovich, Hamilton... of course sometime he get murdered with these players, but overall he did a great job for a rookie.
    But he will not receive credit for this since it is all about statistics.
    Last edited by mathbzh; 01-22-2009 at 02:27 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and yet there are people here who wants to trade him.

Pop and the coaching staff are really showing Hill the ropes.

Thread Information