Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a translation from french Newspaper "L'Equipe"

Parker votes for Paul

Best PG at penetration
    Devin Harris and Me

"Devin Harris comes just after me. He must have watched some videos on me. I know that Avery Johnson made him watch me a a lot when he was in Dallas. This year, he doesn't stop penetrating. Just like me in 2006, when I was an NBA first in points in the paint."

Best PG at shooting
    Steve Nash

"It's a no contest. He shoots FTs at 90%, 50% 3pt FG in his good years and 50% FG. Derek Fisher is also very strong at 3pts. But the best catch and shoot is Mike Bibby. He's been model for me in that category."

The nicest PG
    Chris Paul

"I really get along with him. But there are also Deron Williams and Steve Nash. We have dinner together and see each other outside the court. But I meet a lot more the PGs from Western conference."

The hardest PG to play against
    Andre Miller

"I dont know why but he is a "pain in the ass". Everytime he plays against me, he is hot. Just like me when Iwas playing gary Payton at the begenning of my career. Miller is a guy we don't talk a lot but he goes wild when he plays against me.. Maybe he is motivated because i'm an all-star. There are also Chauncey Billups, Baron Davis and Jason Kidd. They post-up a lot. They are hard to stop because they go inside a lot."

The best rookie PG
    Derrick Rose

"But watch DJ Augustin, he's starting to gain confidence."

The best dribbler
    Allen Iverson

"No Contest. He's out of range that's all. He also as the best first step and on 1vs1. He has a very special game."

The most underrated PG
    Devin Harris

"He was already very good in Dallas but he couldn't let himself go because of Nowitzki and Howard. We can see how strong he is this year. The other one is Miller, an old school PG, but he is good every year, solid."

The most overrated PG
    Rajon Rondo

"It used to be Jason Williams. People used to love him because he was making fancy assists and they were forgetting the passes in the stands. Nowadays it's more difficult. Maybe Rajon Rondo. He is a bit overrated.Playing with Pierce and Garnett helps a lot and people tend to forget that."

The best defender
    "I would say Chris Paul. He defends well, has good hands, he anticipates well. Chris Paul and Jason Kidd. They both have a high sense of anticipation. They always have a hand in there that can steal the ball. Then Chauncey Billups who is really strong. But I consider myself a top 5."

The best passer
    "Chris Paul and Deron Williams. No. Chris Paul and Steve Nash. You have to have the right players next to you. Chris Paul has them. Tyson Chandler for high passes and David West who is a pure PF and a of a shooter. But Paul has the vision on court."

Conclusion
    "Chris Paul is the most skilled. But it's more complicated. It depends on the team you play on. If I was playin in New Orleans or Phoenix, I would have more responsabilities, more assists. My Top 5 is : Chris Paul, Myself, Deron Williams, Steve Nash and Chauncey Billups. The best PGs are in the Western Conference. Allen Ivers is now in the east but we also have Baron Davis, and when he is healthy, he can be a "pain in the ass" to play against."

TP's Top 5
    1 Chris Paul
    2 Tony Parker
    3 Deron Williams
    4 Steve Nash
    5 Chauncey Billups

Others : Harris, Iverson, Miller, Rose, Rondo.
    Last edited by adrien; 01-22-2009 at 07:57 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That is so full of win, it's amazing. Perhaps the best article posted this season. Props, adrien, for the find.

I'm sure the people who already don't like Parker will also love the article.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony's honesty in this is super classic.

Who wrote the article, Olivier?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Olivier Pheulpin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for posting the article!

Andre Miller

"I dont know why but he is a "pain in the ass". Everytime he plays against me, he is hot. Just like me when Iwas playing gary Payton at the begenning of my career. Miller is a guy we don't talk a lot but he goes wild when he plays against me.. Maybe he is motivated because i'm an all-star. There are also Chauncey Billups, Baron Davis and Jason Kidd. They post-up a lot. They are hard to stop because they go inside a lot."

The most overrated PG
    Rajon Rondo

"It used to be Jason Williams. People used to love him because he was making fancy assists and they were forgetting the passes in the stands. Nowadays it's more difficult. Maybe Rajon Rondo. He is a bit overrated.Playing with Pierce and Garnett helps a lot and people tend to forget that."

The best defender
    "I would say Chris Paul. He defends well, has good hands, he anticipates well. Chris Paul and Jason Kidd. They both have a high sense of anticipation. They always have a hand in there that can steal the ball. Then Chauncey Billups who is really strong. But I consider myself a top 5."

TP's Top 5
    1 Chris Paul
    2 Tony Parker
    3 Deron Williams
    4 Steve Nash
    5 Chauncey Billups
    About Miller, I knew that. I even talked about how Miller always kills TP in the game thread. Dre just goes off on TP every time. I'm a big Dre fan - as TP says, he's "an old school PG".

Interesting comment on Rondo.

As for a Top 5 defensive PG, he has shown that he can be in flashes, like the 2007 playoffs, but he's inconsistent in the regular season - great one game, poor the next. I think it has a lot to do with matchups - big points with a post game give him problems, as he admits. What do you guys think?

I like how he rates himself second to Paul. Confident, but realistic. On his day, I think he's right, but any of those 4 can be second to Paul on their day, and each of them can beat Paul at their best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    About Miller, I knew that. I even talked about how Miller always kills TP in the game thread. Dre just goes off on TP every time. I'm a big Dre fan - as TP says, he's "an old school PG".
    He actually doesn't. He only averages about 12-13 points against Parker, but he's either feast or famine... he gets like 26 or 5. Parker (and you) obviously remember the going off games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope I didn't make any mistranslation. It sounds a bit y as I reread it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope I didn't make any mistranlation. It sounds a bit y as I reread it.
    It's good and thanks for translating. I don't think it sounds that y, he's just very honest. I like that he said Rondo is overrated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He actually doesn't. He only averages about 12-13 points against Parker, but he's either feast or famine... he gets like 26 or 5. Parker (and you) obviously remember the going off games.
    I'll take your word for it - maybe by chance I've only seen the big games, or have selective amnesia as you say.

I will add that I seem to recall some big games by Miller against TP both as a Nugget and a Clipper, although my memory is dusty...

Really gotta love TP for laying it all out like that. Few athletes are ever that candid!

I bet the article cause a minor storm in the media somehow, totally undeserved of course. I wish more athletes were so honest about each other! I want to know who likes who, who thinks who is over-rated, and who has dinner together!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's good and thanks for translating. I don't think it sounds that y, he's just very honest. I like that he said Rondo is overrated.
    Yeah, Rondo's lack of a jumper is a major flaw in his game, although he is a fine player otherwise. We once said something similar about TP, although even with his pre-Engelland form he was a better shooter than Rondo!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing it's so candid and honest since it's Olivier writing it, and he and Tony are close. I don't know if many of the NBA players will even know about it, unless they are coming to SpursTalk to read it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best PG at penetration
    Devin Harris and Me

"Devin Harris comes just after me. He must have watched some videos on me. I know that Avery Johnson made him watch me a a lot when he was in Dallas. This year, he doesn't stop penetrating. Just like me in 2006, when I was an NBA first in points in the paint."
    Accurate.

Best PG at shooting
    Steve Nash

"It's a no contest. He shoots FTs at 90%, 50% 3pt FG in his good years and 50% FG. Derek Fisher is also very strong at 3pts. But the best catch and shoot is Mike Bibby. He's been model for me in that category."
    Accurate.

Andre Miller

Eh, Parker has had plenty success against Miller in his career. Miller just has had a few monster games against him but overall Parker has outplayed him pretty handily. I'd say Devin Harris since Harris can defend TP, draw charges on TP and score on TP.

The most overrated PG
    Rajon Rondo

Accurate. It's either Rondo or Nash at this point. But it's damn funny that he called out Rondo. Hopefully this doesn't get to Boston . . .

The best defender
    CP3 isn't that good of a defender. He gets steals but that's about it. Kidd used to be really good but he's slowing down. When fully energized, Billups and Davis are up there.

It's funny that Parker calls himself top 5. This season, he probably hasn't been top 15. But come playoff time, he's up there. Top 5 is still a stretch but he can reach a pretty high level when he wants to ... which hasn't been often this season.

The best passer
    "Chris Paul and Deron Williams. No. Chris Paul and Steve Nash. You have to have the right players next to you. Chris Paul has them. Tyson Chandler for high passes and David West who is a pure PF and a of a shooter. But Paul has the vision on court."
    Gotta be Nash but CP3 is moving up the charts.

Conclusion
    "Chris Paul is the most skilled. But it's more complicated. It depends on the team you play on. If I was playin in New Orleans or Phoenix, I would have more responsabilities, more assists. My Top 5 is : Chris Paul, Myself, Deron Williams, Steve Nash and Chauncey Billups. The best PGs are in the Western Conference. Allen Ivers is now in the east but we also have Baron Davis, and when he is healthy, he can be a "pain in the ass" to play against."
    I agree that Parker would have more responsibilities if he wasn't playing next to two Hall of Famers. Although that also helps him.

If I had to guess, Parker's stats would look a lot better if he had the point guard friendly talent on NO around him or played for D'Antoni.

TP's Top 5
    1 Chris Paul
    2 Tony Parker
    3 Deron Williams
    4 Steve Nash
    5 Chauncey Billups
    That's tough. Paul has earned the number one spot. When healthy and playing at his best, I probably put Williams two. Billups could very well be three. I don't think Parker can go much lower than four, though.

This is a classic overly honest Parker article. You can tell why he gets along with Pop so well because they are both brutally honest and don't really care about being PC.

Plus I like TP's confidence in this article. There's no such thing as a great point guard that isn't brimming with confidence. More than any other position, you have to have utmost and consistent confidence to survive as an NBA point guard. For that reason, I actually wish he would have called himself the best point guard in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fantastic post LJ, concur on it all.

I'm guessing it's so candid and honest since it's Olivier writing it, and he and Tony are close. I don't know if many of the NBA players will even know about it, unless they are coming to SpursTalk to read it
    I think ST is a more respected source than you know... I'd be surprised if some regular NBA beat writers don't peruse this place, and in their hands they can use it to ask other players directly what they think - you know, the kind of BS some of them do to get a quote. I don't think the Spurs reporters would use it maliciously, but some other stirrer like Kiszla might - he could put it in Chauncey's face to see what he says, or one of the Utah reporters with Deron.

Anyway, let's hope it is all taken in good spirit.

PS If something untoward does occur, I think it would be a good idea to bring this thread to the attention of a guy like Henry Abbot, who would cover it very fairly as he is high on journalistic ethics, and a wide range of people read him.
    Last edited by RuffnReadyOzStyle; 01-22-2009 at 08:20 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the article AND the translation!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fantastic post LJ, concur on it all.

I think ST is a more respected source than you know... I'd be surprised if some regular NBA beat writers don't peruse this place, and in their hands they can use it to ask other players directly what they think - you know, the kind of BS some of them do to get a quote. I don't think the Spurs reporters would use it maliciously, but some other stirrer like Kiszla might - he could put it in Chauncey's face to see what he says, or one of the Utah reporters with Deron.

Anyway, let's hope it is all taken in good spirit.
    Yeah, anything is possible. We get something like 7M+ page views a month now. So you never know who is looking.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In French interviews, french players often say things they would not in an US media.

Batum in a local paper said:

Et il y a Kobe Bryant. Il n’est pas comme les autres. Je défends généralement sur le meilleur joueur adverse. C’est lui qui m’a le plus impressionné. Tu as beau savoir ce qu’il va faire, il arrive quand même à mettre le panier. Je ne sais pas comment il fait. Dwyane Wade (Miami) est aussi très fort. Quelle vitesse et quel contrôle ! Par contre, j’ai été un peu déçu par Tracy McGrady (Houston). Je m’attendais à mieux.
    There is Kobe... Wade is also very strong...
    I was a bit disappointed with TMac. I expected better.

Do you imagine a young french rookie saying that on ESPN?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is an internet world. Tomorrow everyone in the league will be aware of that interview.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In French interviews, french players often say things they would not in an US media.

Aren't we all...

Priceless!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=RuffnReadyOzStyle;3046676]Fantastic post LJ, concur on it all.

+1

Typical (should I say TPcal ?) Tony's candid style !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love TP, he says what he thinks and for the consequences well...

I remember at the time of J Kidd trade rumors, he made quite amazing interview in french newspapers.

Props to him to call out Rondo, the most acurate quote of his interview. I agree with him for most part of his quotes except maybe on the D, right he is not a top 5 and CP3 is not number 1 but who am I ? He is a top PG in the league and plays against these guys I'm going to trust him and see with more attention the CP3 D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This was priceless too !! French are crazy sometimes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was so close to work for " l'Equipe"

(True story)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And thanks Adrien for sharing that, I guess it was from le journal L'équipe not the website.

I miss reading "L'équipe" in Paris with a cup of coffee, a croissant, a cigarette while watching the girls walking...

Well nothing to complain about now I'm reading "folha de São Paulo" with a caipirinha, a pao de queijo, a cigarette while watching the super hot brazilian girls walking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was so close to work for " l'Equipe"

(True story)
    So you were close to work in Issy-les-Moulineaux then. What happened ?

Thread Information