Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be very surprised if the Spurs haven't been on the phone talking to teams about Bigs they feel can help, trying to come up with some kind of trade but realistically the Spurs have little to no trade assets that intrigue teams with bigs we NEED and CAN use.

We know the kind of market the Spurs are in, the economy and all that so the Spurs are probably just looking for bargain bigs to do patch work for a run and keeping cost down for the future. Look we have Hill, Mason and Hairston as a nice young nucleus to build upon with vets that are class guys to bring them along niccely, plus we have one of the best coaches in the game teaching. We hopefully will have IAn next season who can grow in knowledge by listening to the coaching staff and Timmy and we will be in a position this off season and the following to make a run at some solid free agents, plus we'll know where these young guys are by then and have some experience under their belts. We can make a run a Sheed this summer and perhap in 2010 we can make a big splash depending on who is on the team. We are not spending tons of money this year nor on any of the young guys coming off the bench so financially we should be in a good position for the future, just grabbing someone and getting them to come is the problem but remember Jermaine O'Neal almost came and so did Kidd, thank GOD they didn't.

We just have to be patient, see how this Feb trade deadline pans out and just be grateful we have a strong nucleus to build around and add too. Look for the Clipper or the Knicks to deal with the Spurs by the deadline but don't hold your breathe for anything worth acquiring, specifically the Knicks.
    This is all well and good and I do like the pieces planned for the future. In fact, I'm one of the biggest proponents of having talent in the pipeline to infuse over time. However, that does no good for the short term. They're playing for THIS season. Assuming they can shore up some deficiencies, they have an opportunity to win the West and the le this year. Duncan is in his 12th season. He's not going to play forever and there will not be another coming any time soon. Every year he's healthy means the Spurs have a legitimate chance. However, every year they enter the season with obvious roster holes is a wasted year. The FO needs to optimize these opportunities by ensuring the team is well-equipped to take on all comers during the Duncan era.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is all well and good and I do like the pieces planned for the future. In fact, I'm one of the biggest proponents of having talent in the pipeline to infuse over time. However, that does no good for the short term. They're playing for THIS season. Assuming they can shore up some deficiencies, they have an opportunity to win the West and the le this year. Duncan is in his 12th season. He's not going to play forever and there will not be another coming any time soon. Every year he's healthy means the Spurs have a legitimate chance. However, every year they enter the season with obvious roster holes is a wasted year. The FO needs to optimize these opportunities by ensuring the team is well-equipped to take on all comers during the Duncan era.
    I agree but due to the nature of the Spurs market they can only do so much, having 3 all star caliber players on the team is great at the price they do, but getting a fourth is hard and that's why they do so much bargain hunting, especially overseas. Splitter hurt them big time. Splitter and Ian were the future, Ian goes down and Splitter is there and Vice Versa, then no one would be complaining. Cir stances dealt them a bad blow, no one can say the Spurs didn't try to fill their needs but after things went sour(splitter not coming, Ian injured, Manu surgery, injury here and there) they had to bargain shop again, thus Tolliver and Croshere and roster spots for pre season guys, Hairston, Farmer etc. Give them credit for what they tried to do, i COULdn't sk for more especially with no assets to trade

This could have been the team

Oberto/Thomas
    Duncan
    Finley
    Mason
    Parker

Ginobili
    Hill
    Splitter
    Ian
    Bowen
    Thomas/Oberto
    Udoka
    Vaughn
    Bonner
    Hairston
    Last edited by galvatron3000; 01-26-2009 at 12:57 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    quick, sign Horry!

-Mars
    Lord knows Pop has him on speed dial.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All this situation should be a huge nightmare for Ian. He is a super nice guy and worked like a madman for more than one year to get a chance to play with Spurs. Pop wanted to give him his chance this year and I truly think that he had enough talent to break the rotation. I fell sorry for him and wishes him all the best. Let's hope this surgery will definitively fix the problem and that he will be back next year.

Ian being out for the season also hurts Spurs chances to win it all. Even if he wasn't very good, his athleticism, size and quickness would have really help Spurs in certain matchups.

That's all I have to say. Now, you can continue to trash and makes unfunny joke on a Spurs player who is living a hard time in his professional career. You really show that you are posters with a lot of class and heart...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's trade him to Houston!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All this situation should be a huge nightmare for Ian. He is a super nice guy and worked like a madman for more than one year to get a chance to play with Spurs. Pop wanted to give him his chance this year and I truly think that he had enough talent to break the rotation. I fell sorry for him and wishes him all the best. Let's hope this surgery will definitively fix the problem and that he will be back next year.

Ian being out for the season also hurts Spurs chances to win it all. Even if he wasn't very good, his athleticism, size and quickness would have really help Spurs in certain matchups.

That's all I have to say. Now, you can continue to trash and makes unfunny joke on a Spurs player who is living a hard time in his professional career. You really show that you are posters with a lot of class and heart...

keep this thread in mind. it will be funny when Ian make some contribution for the spurs in the future.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree, just boarding at a nice clip and being in the right place defensively would have helped with his size, 10-15 minutes a game for the seson with an opportunity to add to those minutes in the PO's would have been nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    7 games.

I wonder when this saga about a player that hasn't proven anything at any level will ever end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ian Mahinmi will be raring to go come next August/September, and to me, that is fine. It sucks he couldn't have helped this year, but its not like he just epicly failed expectations and just couldn't crack the rotation. I feel this could be a very great test for him, something that will make him that much stronger and harder working come next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We wish all professional athletes well.
    Independently from where they play.
    And non professional athletes too.

This has nothing to do with the issue here.
    I think it is really time to move on with Mahinmi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Far too often fans are willing to sacrafice the future for "winning now". IMO, in order to be a truly great franchise, you have to walk a fine line between the two. The Spurs have done so nicely, and you just have to live with the fact you cannot win it every year.

All you can hope for is a shot and a future, the Spurs have both.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We wish all professional athletes well.
    Independently from where they play.
    And non professional athletes too.

This has nothing to do with the issue here.
    I think it is really time to move on with Mahinmi.
    Time to move on?
    He might be out as an option for this season, but thats it.
    "Moving on" would be re ed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree but due to the nature of the Spurs market they can only do so much, having 3 all star caliber players on the team is great at the price they do, but getting a fourth is hard and that's why they do so much bargain hunting, especially overseas. Splitter hurt them big time. Splitter and Ian were the future, Ian goes down and Splitter is there and Vice Versa, then no one would be complaining. Cir stances dealt them a bad blow, no one can say the Spurs didn't try to fill their needs but after things went sour(splitter not coming, Ian injured, Manu surgery, injury here and there) they had to bargain shop again, thus Tolliver and Croshere and roster spots for pre season guys, Hairston, Farmer etc. Give them credit for what they tried to do, i COULdn't sk for more especially with no assets to trade

This could have been the team

Oberto/Thomas
    Duncan
    Finley
    Mason
    Parker

Ginobili
    Hill
    Splitter
    Ian
    Bowen
    Thomas/Oberto
    Udoka
    Vaughn
    Bonner
    Hairston
    I understand. My point is the Spurs should've hedged themselves with another big man, as insurance. The Splitter announcement came before the draft. Ian's injury occurred prior to training camp. There was plenty of tmie to address this. They should have never gotten this far into the season with this glaring weakness.

Obviously, the Spurs are limited in what they can do and they don't need a pricey big. They just need a serviceable big who can rebound, defend, block a few shots and score the basketball, when necessary. A tall order because all teams need such a player.

Can't Start Threads
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm convinced that players are either ready for the NBA, or they're not.
    Stash-'n-picks, development leagues etc, it hasn't been effective, no?
    Agreed. Except for those Fans who dont have a NBA team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand. My point is the Spurs should've hedged themselves with another big man, as insurance. The Splitter announcement came before the draft. Ian's injury occurred prior to training camp. There was plenty of tmie to address this. They should have never gotten this far into the season with this glaring weakness.

Obviously, the Spurs are limited in what they can do and they don't need a pricey big. They just need a serviceable big who can rebound, defend, block a few shots and score the basketball, when necessary. A tall order because all teams need such a player.

Right and not willing to part for just anything. This is the reason they chose the long distance shoting big route because even a serviceable big is not coming from anyone unless they get something of interest in return,i.e. contract relief or position need.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No need for trashing Ian. He can't control the injuries he has had and I am sure this is difficult for him.

The focus should be on what SenorSpur said...we had plenty of time to address the situation. We knew Splitter was not coming and Ian as been hurt since preseason. Perhaps they have been trying to work out some deals and nothing has materialized....I don't know. It sure feels like not much has been going on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sad news. I hope thing go well and he can get back next season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    finally, the uncertainty with ian is over. the FO can now focus on finding that big. time to go shopping. AC ain't the answer.
    I'm thinking this needed to be a priority even if Ian was healthy. He's not ready to play alongside Duncan for the course of a season yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am with Bruno on this one, hopefully the surgery is successful and the kid comes in next year and makes a contribution.

Opening another can of worms, we are pretty ancient at the small forward spot as well. Watching yesterdays beat down, Udoka looked bad, we all already have our opinions of Finley and Bruce Bowen at 37 looks like our best small forward.

Maybe the Spurs ought go ahead and throw Hairston to the wolves for the rest of the season so that we have at least one set of young legs playing the three.

Keep in mind, the Spurs are still very compe ive even with our weaknesses so we are kind of in that limbo area, not crappy enough to make the lottery (although that is moot due to OKC pick) and not good enough to win it all.

It is rare for me to put up the white flag but our age at the three and the lack of better big man option than the three headed monster of Bonner/Thomas/Oberto has us coming up short.

I still believe but I am a realist too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am with Bruno on this one, hopefully the surgery is successful and the kid comes in next year and makes a contribution.

Opening another can of worms, we are pretty ancient at the small forward spot as well. Watching yesterdays beat down, Udoka looked bad, we all already have our opinions of Finley and Bruce Bowen at 37 looks like our best small forward.

Maybe the Spurs ought go ahead and throw Hairston to the wolves for the rest of the season so that we have at least one set of young legs playing the three.

Keep in mind, the Spurs are still very compe ive even with our weaknesses so we are kind of in that limbo area, not crappy enough to make the lottery (although that is moot due to OKC pick) and not good enough to win it all.

It is rare for me to put up the white flag but our age at the three and the lack of better big man option than the three headed monster of Bonner/Thomas/Oberto has us coming up short.

I still believe but I am a realist too.
    True. I still don't quite understand why Pop continues to gamble with such advanced age at a position (2-3) where you find the league's greatest athletes.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Man that sucks but realistically I think we all knew this was gonna happen. Oh well high hopes for next season with hopefully Ian, Gist, and Hairston joining the team

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn it...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    since mahinmi already missed so much time already, i doubt he was ever going to get minutes in the playoffs. the bad thing is that mahinmi won't even get to play some regular season games this year, which would have prepared him for next year. next season, mahinmi will have to take time to develop and get going which might leave him out of the playoff rotation again. hopefully he comes back from the surgery 100% and more wiser about his physical limitations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No need for trashing Ian. He can't control the injuries he has had and I am sure this is difficult for him.

The focus should be on what SenorSpur said...we had plenty of time to address the situation. We knew Splitter was not coming and Ian as been hurt since preseason. Perhaps they have been trying to work out some deals and nothing has materialized....I don't know. It sure feels like not much has been going on.

Exactly. If the kid would've been healthy enough to play he would have. This news confirms just how injured he really was. Everyone needs to back off the harsh criticism of this kid. The severity of said injury is not his fault.

Thread Information