Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 months?

So he'll be ready for the playoffs

Yeah that's strange. That must be a very conservative estimate. Or their definition of rehab simply means until he can walk without a cast/boot. Then yeah, he wouldn't be close to game ready.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Bowen out of the starting lineup, the only thing the Spurs need from a starting center is shot blocking and defense, basically enough of each to take some pressure off Timmy on that end of the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the EN have nothing about it so far

Pathetic coverage by Monroe and McDonald

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the EN have nothing about it so far

Pathetic coverage by Monroe and McDonald
    Haven't seen anything from McDonald since the 24th. I'm wondering where he is.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Ludden will give us some insights. And hopefully, as odd as it sounds, the issue is poor diagnosis by the Spurs doctors and not the fact that Ian is frail and injury plagued.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/ian_ma...ry_090131.html

January 31, 2009
    Ian Mahinmi Undergoes Successful Surgery

SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio Spurs center Ian Mahinmi yesterday underwent successful arthroscopic surgery on his right ankle. The surgery was performed in Los Angeles by Dr. Richard Ferkel.

During the surgery a small piece of avulsed bone was removed from Mahimni’s ankle. During activity, the bone was becoming entrapped in the medial aspect of the ankle, leading to persistent pain. The surgery revealed no other cartilage defects throughout the ankle or distal tibia.

Mahinmi originally injured the ankle while working out on 8/4. He had yet to appear for the Spurs this season due to the injury.

Mahinmi is expected to miss 6-10 weeks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/ian_ma...ry_090131.html

January 31, 2009
    Ian Mahinmi Undergoes Successful Surgery

SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio Spurs center Ian Mahinmi yesterday underwent successful arthroscopic surgery on his right ankle. The surgery was performed in Los Angeles by Dr. Richard Ferkel.

During the surgery a small piece of avulsed bone was removed from Mahimni’s ankle. During activity, the bone was becoming entrapped in the medial aspect of the ankle, leading to persistent pain. The surgery revealed no other cartilage defects throughout the ankle or distal tibia.

Mahinmi originally injured the ankle while working out on 8/4. He had yet to appear for the Spurs this season due to the injury.

Mahinmi is expected to miss 6-10 weeks
    Not out for the season????

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    It doesn't sound so bad. I doubt he's a go for this season but nothing as dire as I was expecting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and this is pretty much what I hypothesized was wrong with his ankle. Nothing hugely major but something annoying that wasn't allowing him to recover properly. Considering this was probably exploratory in nature, this is about the best news the Spurs and Mahinmi could hope for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So he still he has a chance to make the rotation. Not a big one, but still.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be nice if it's closer to 6 weeks than 10 weeks. It will allow him to end the season with Toros.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am glad to hear it went well. Mini Superman, get well and be ready for next year!
    Last edited by DPG21920; 01-31-2009 at 08:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Six weeks would be middle of March. That actually wouldn't be horrible timing. That's around the time that Nazr won a spot in the rotation in 2005.

But yeah, Mahinmi isn't exactly known for his recovery skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he's able to return in mid-March, he actually has an outside shot at getting into the rotation. Trade deadline players (e.g. Kurt Thomas) get to their teams in mid-to-late February, so he'd be lagging behind those kind of players by 3-4 weeks. However, the difference is that Mahinmi SHOULD know the Spurs system by now, at least mentally. Whether that experience edge will allow him to crack the rotation depends on a few things:

1. The extent to which the injury is fully healed.
    2. Mahinmi's work ethic.
    3a. Pop's willingness to throw him in the fire.
    3b. How desperate the Spurs are at that point for another big man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For Mahinmi, surgery means 'wasted year'
    By Jeff McDonald on Jan 31, 2009 6:49 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) Save & Share Yahoo! BuzzYahoo! Newsvine del.icio.us Facebook Google Reddit Fark
    Ian Mahinmi, the star-crossed Spurs center who has not played in a game this season due to injuries, underwent successful surgery to remove a small piece of avulsed bone in his right ankle Friday.

The surgery will keep Mahinmi out 6 to 10 weeks, more or less sapping any faint hope of the second-year player contributing to the Spurs this season.

Mahinmi originally injured the ankle in a pre-training camp workout on Aug. 4. When swelling refused to subside in a reasonable amount of time, the team comissioned as many as eight MRI tests on the ankle to determine the problem, coach Gregg Popovich said before Saturday's game against New Orleans.

The bone spur, Popovich said, "showed up on none."

Eventually, Dr. Richard Ferkel, the Los Angeles-based surgeon who worked on Manu Ginobili's famously injured left ankle over the summer, recommended exploratory surgery to determine the cause of the sustained pain and swelling in Mahinmi's ankle. Ferkel found a piece of bone entrapped in the medial aspect of the ankle, and removed it via arthroscopic surgery.

Popovich said he was pleased that the root of Mahinmi's pain had finally been found, but was dismayed at what he called "a wasted year for the kid."

"It's awful for him, awful for us," Popovich said. "We thought we'd get him on the court this year and get him in games and see what we had. It's a tough break for everybody."

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...i-surgery.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For Mahinmi, surgery means 'wasted year'
    By Jeff McDonald on Jan 31, 2009 6:49 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) Save & Share Yahoo! BuzzYahoo! Newsvine del.icio.us Facebook Google Reddit Fark
    Ian Mahinmi, the star-crossed Spurs center who has not played in a game this season due to injuries, underwent successful surgery to remove a small piece of avulsed bone in his right ankle Friday.

The surgery will keep Mahinmi out 6 to 10 weeks, more or less sapping any faint hope of the second-year player contributing to the Spurs this season.

Mahinmi originally injured the ankle in a pre-training camp workout on Aug. 4. When swelling refused to subside in a reasonable amount of time, the team comissioned as many as eight MRI tests on the ankle to determine the problem, coach Gregg Popovich said before Saturday's game against New Orleans.

The bone spur, Popovich said, "showed up on none."

Eventually, Dr. Richard Ferkel, the Los Angeles-based surgeon who worked on Manu Ginobili's famously injured left ankle over the summer, recommended exploratory surgery to determine the cause of the sustained pain and swelling in Mahinmi's ankle. Ferkel found a piece of bone entrapped in the medial aspect of the ankle, and removed it via arthroscopic surgery.

Popovich said he was pleased that the root of Mahinmi's pain had finally been found, but was dismayed at what he called "a wasted year for the kid."

"It's awful for him, awful for us," Popovich said. "We thought we'd get him on the court this year and get him in games and see what we had. It's a tough break for everybody."

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...i-surgery.html
    Do you know what this means? If they'd have only done less MRIs and then done exploratory/arthroscopic surgery, he could have been back on the court much sooner.

Is this normal procedure to do 8 MRIs before you do surgery?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is a huge difference between Ian and players like Kurt or Nazr : Mahinmi isn't a vet. He has played 23 min in NBA. And even if Mahinmi is healthy in 6 weeks, he will come back of a 7 months injury and will be for sure quite rusty.

It will take a miracle to see Ian able to help Spurs this year.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you know what this means? If they'd have only done less MRIs and then done exploratory/arthroscopic surgery, he could have been back on the court much sooner.
    Sure, but they didn't want to operate if there was nothing wrong.

Is this normal procedure to do 8 MRIs before you do surgery?
    Not if something shows up on one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is a huge difference between Ian and players like Kurt or Nazr : Mahinmi isn't a vet. He has played 23 min in NBA. And even if Mahinmi is healthy in 6 weeks, he will come back of a 7 months injury and will be for sure quite rusty.

It will take a miracle to see Ian able to help Spurs this year.
    Yeah I agree. As hopeful as I was that he could help this year, there seems zero chance for it at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish they could have done this in November....he could have sat out till the All-Star Break.....and then come back healthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, but they didn't want to operate if there was nothing wrong.

Not if something shows up on one.
    I understand, but something clearly was wrong. Makes sense why they opted to wait but this long?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man, i wish they did that surgery a lot sooner... like 'in early december' sooner. shyet. them LA doctors screwed us. it's a conspiracy i tell yah. it's a conspiracy!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, and maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit on this one, but I think some people on this board owe Ian an apology. Many acted like he was completely defective for taking so long to recover from "just an ankle sprain."

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's the Scola Karma catching on us.
    That makes no sense whatsoever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That makes no sense whatsoever.
    Neither does someone having a handle implying education that's misspelled.

Thread Information