Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, timvp. I just don't buy it. If that's really the intent, why play Manu for 36 minutes in Indiana?
    If my memory was right, Pop only played Manu 16 mins or something when he first returned to the line-up and he exploded. I guess he thought Manu was feeling healther so he increased his minutes gradually to gear him up for playoffs. Sadly, he felt pain again vs Cavs and pop did not play Manu in the whole 4th Q.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To see if he's healthy? You gotta kick the tires at some point.
    Hmm. I think it's plausible that Pop suspected that either Manu would not recover in time and would not have him for the playoffs, and adjusted the lineup accordingly. But Manu has always been pretty straightforward as far as how he felt. I recall him saying he didn't feel any pain after the first game coming back. Basically, I don't buy the 'he begged Pop' part. Other than that, it's plausible. You also have to wonder what the doctors told Pop after the stress reaction prognosis. Maybe they said 'he could fracture or heal', either way. In that case I can see Pop doing what he was doing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If my memory was right, Pop only played Manu 16 mins or something when he first returned to the line-up and he exploded. I guess he thought Manu was feeling healther so he increased his minutes gradually to gear him up for playoffs. Sadly, he felt pain again vs Cavs and pop did not play Manu in the whole 4th Q.
    Well, I do think this the actual line of events. I also think it's plausible that Pop knew it could either work, or it could get worse, and planned accordingly.
    I just don't think Pop is the coach that will risk an injury because Manu begged. I think if he knew 100% this was the only outcome for Manu, he would just have not even tried to play him.

1.21 JIGGAWATTS! Lebowski Brickowski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know, man. If Pop knew it was a BAD stress "reaction," why risk a much worse injury and longer recovery time? Why put the initial 3 week timeframe on the recovery? When was the last time Pop took Manu's (or any player's) recommendation about an injury?

1.21 JIGGAWATTS! Lebowski Brickowski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OTOH

you sounded so serious about Manu's first injury, imploring Spurs Nation to pray for Manu. the initial prognosis you heard hints at the initial injury being more serious than it was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder whether Manu and the Spurs knew that he was likely out for the season but Manu begged them to try to rest the injury and come back. That would explain a lot ... including Pop's rotation as of late. The only hope to win a championship right now is if Finley could somehow have a flashback year and somehow replace Ginobili. Also moving Hill to shooting guard from point guard would suddenly make a lot of sense. Benching Bowen also makes sense because without Ginobili, the Spurs wouldn't have enough offense to overcome his offensive shortcoming.

WTF, now the pieces are fitting and things make sense. I think we've been CIA Pop'ed.
    I agree timvp I think that Pop was on worst case preparation mode since few weeks ! it begins to make sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I do think this the actual line of events. I also think it's plausible that Pop knew it could either work, or it could get worse, and planned accordingly.
    I just don't think Pop is the coach that will risk an injury because Manu begged. I think if he knew 100% this was the only outcome for Manu, he would just have not even tried to play him.
    I totally agree with you. I am sure if POP knew the injury could only get worse, he would not have taken the risk. It has to be a "could work or could get worse" situation in which pop took the risk and adjusted his rotations accordingly.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TURN OUT THE LIGHTS, THE PARTY'S OVER!

Thread Information