Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FEMA Has Rejected 60 Percent of Assistance Requests in Puerto Rico. Why?

Reports from lawyers on the ground suggest the organization was ill-equipped to actually handle the devastation it found.

Many Puerto Ricans have a jaundiced view of the federal response to Hurricane Maria:

Federal aid was slow to materialize compared with aid to Texas,

and President Trump appeared at times glib and dismissive of the island’s plight.

High on the ledger of residents’ catalog of grievances is the hefty number of people who have been rebuffed for repair grants from FEMA:

In March, lawyers and community groups said that

the agency had denied about 60 percent of household applications in Puerto Rico,

often because families could not prove ownership of their homes.

FEMA’s denial rate for individual assistance is always high— about 30 percent of Texans were rejected for Harvey-related requests by January. But as of March,

FEMA grant denials in Puerto Rico after Maria nearly double that number.

In a series of interviews, lawyers and residents told me that

FEMA presided over a poorly managed process that failed to account for the island’s unique customs.

https://slate.com/technology/2018/06...-requests.html

Trash gives HIMSELF 9 out of 10 for his ed up FEMA's non-aid to PR.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump's using racist Supreme Court precedent to justify neglecting Puerto Rico

In 1978, the “rational basis” arguments for discriminating against Puerto Rico were that its residents didn’t contribute enough to the Treasury, that it

was too expensive to include Puerto Rico in federal programs, and that

“inclusion … might seriously disrupt the Puerto Rican economy.”

Re-read that last reason. Then consider the 1980 clarification:

“[G]reater benefits could disrupt the Puerto Rican economy.”

The Supreme Court of the United States accepted a racist generalization about the propensity of Puerto Ricans to work and provide for their families as a rational basis for denying them the same federal benefits as stateside Americans.

The Trump administration—specifically,

Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar—is now attempting to use that same reasoning

to defend against a new version of this challenge to a status quo that never should have been established.

Filed April 13, the complaint—brought by Sixta Glays Peña Martínez—

challenges Puerto Rico’s exclusion from SSI and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits

as well as Medicare Part D Low-Income Subsidies under the Equal Protection Clause.

The Department of Justice’s motion to dismiss, filed June 25,

leans explicitly, and heavily, on the explicitly racist precedent set by the court 40 years ago.

They’re not as explicit in adopting racist reasoning, but they’ve incorporated it by citing these cases—and

quoting the portions that specifically uphold that rationale for discrimination against Puerto Rico.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/1775598

The Repug kakistrocracy: a corrupt, venal BigPharma asshole Azar running HHS and a famous RACIST JeBo running DoJ

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hundreds of Puerto Ricans who fled Hurricane Maria to lose U.S. housing assistance

They may soon lose access to the motels they've called home since fleeing the deadly storm.

Nearly 1,800 Puerto Ricans displaced after Hurricane Maria will be forced this week to move from the motels they have called home for 10 months, either taking a one-way ticket back to the island or finding housing of their own on the US mainland.

“If this eviction goes forth, it will do irreparable harm to people who have already suffered so much,”

“Thousands of people lost homes, jobs, cars, places to go to school, and are suffering unnecessarily. FEMA can end this by activating the Disaster Housing Assistance Program (DHAP) now. Instead,

FEMA is offering one-way plane tickets to send people back to a place that is in no way ready to receive them.”

https://thinkprogress.org/hundreds-o...-4a050298fc32/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash immediately gave himself 9 / 10 for PR response, which humbly way below his usual 10 / 10

FEMA Report Acknowledges Failures in Puerto Rico Disaster Response

it failed to properly prepare for last year’s hurricane season and

was unable to provide the support victims needed in the wake of an unprecedented season of catastrophic storms,

Most of the shortcomings focused on the response to Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, and many of those outlined in the report —

a lack of key supplies on the island before the storm,

unqualified staff, and

challenges with delivering emergency supplies —

were detailed in a recent FRONTLINE and NPR do entary
    Blackout in Puerto Rico, slated to re-air July 17.

The FEMA report found that its

warehouse in Puerto Rico was nearly empty when Hurricane Maria hit last September,

without cots or tarps, and

very low levels of food and water,

as most of the supplies had been rerouted to the U.S. Virgin Islands following Hurricane Irma.

It also found the

agency as a whole had been

understaffed going into the hurricane season,

leading to personnel shortages

as well as problems with “workforce certification.”

FRONTLINE and NPR examined internal do ents that found

nearly half the staff on the island after the storm was “untrained” or unqualified.”

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/fema-report-acknowledges-failures-in-puerto-rico-disaster-response/

iow, FEMA, going back to "heckuva job, Brownie", is how Repugs UP govt, with fatal consequences.

5000+ dead in PR from FEMA's disastrous response to the disaster

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ducks is just breathlessly stupid. I've never seen anything like it. He almost makes spurtacular seem lucid.

Almost.
    Hey, now. ducks was the only one on this board who really believed that Trump would win - held out till the end - kudos. While the ENTIRE board was "breathlessly stupid"/wrong :-)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey, now. ducks was the only one on this board who really believed that Trump would win - held out till the end - kudos. While the ENTIRE board was "breathlessly stupid"/wrong :-)
    Do you think that Ducks believing DJT would win the election shows his intellect? Honest question.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think that Ducks believing DJT would win the election shows his intellect? Honest question.
    I'm just saying that (whether it shows his intellect or guessing ability or instinct or luck) he was RIGHT, and the ENTIRE board was WRONG.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just saying that (whether it shows his intellect or guessing ability or instinct or luck) he was RIGHT, and the ENTIRE board was WRONG.
    Hater called it and then backed out last minute.
    Beautiful stuff...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hurricane Maria: Puerto Rico acknowledges hundreds died

Puerto Rico has acknowledged that Hurricane Maria killed 1,427 people in the US territory, not 64 as it has previously reported.

The latest figure was in a draft report for US Congress,

requesting $139bn (£108bn) in recovery funds.

The official figure of 64 has remained unchanged since last year despite some experts estimating 4,600 deaths.

The New York Times was first to report that the island's authorities had quietly accepted the revised estimate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45127972

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    3000 deaths

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disaster/vulture capitalism is gonna up US-toy PR even more, sucking $100Ms out of a poor, powerless populace.

Turmoil slows rebuilding of Puerto Rico’s power grid

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/turmoil-slows-rebuilding-of-puerto-ricos-power-grid/

============

Houston mayor makes desperate plea for Hurricane Harvey recovery aid

“Literally, there are thousands of people living in homes that need to be remediated,” said Turner.

“And there are thousands of people who are still living in hotels.

And the question is, where do they go when FEMA says, ‘No more’?”

The push is part of Houston and Texas’s request for Congress to approve a bill for $61 billion in federal assistance.

Thus far the state has received $11 billion in federal disaster aid —

far less than the nearly $115 billion of federal assistance provided after Hurricane Katrina or

the $56 billion after Hurricane Sandy.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hu...ry-aid-n832011

Repug MISgoverance: $Ts in tax cuts for the oligarchy, while screwing the non-oligarchy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump Revives Criticism Of Puerto Rico After Hurricane Maria Death Toll Jumps

San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz slammed the president for being “incapable of feeling solidarity and empathy.”

President
    Donald Trump tried once again to shift blame onto Puerto Rico for the response to Hurricane Maria, even after the U.S. territory’s government officially raised the death toll by thousands.

The president said he thought the federal government did a “fantastic job in Puerto Rico” after a reporter asked about its response in light of the new numbers.

“We have put billions and billions of dollars into Puerto Rico, and it was a tough one,” Trump said Wednesday. “Don’t forget their electric plant was totally dead before the hurricanes.”

the electricity grid had been in desperate need of an overhaul for years, but it was not “dead” before Maria hit

praised the work of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

“They were very brave and they have done some job, but Puerto Rico had a lot of difficulties before it got hit,” Trump said.

“And we’re straightening out those difficulties even now.” 3000 dead TOO LATE!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...gEmail__083018

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Epitiomizes Repug FEMA misgovernance, ing incompetence, inhumanity

20,000 Pallets Of Water Bottles Were Left In Puerto Rico, And No One Seems To Know Why

The bottled water for Hurricane Maria aid has been sitting on a tarmac for an unknown amount of time and is no longer drinkable.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...gEmail__091318

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damm the leaders there are stupid
    They could have called and asked if they could use them or just drink it
    Can not fix stupid corrupt leaders I guess over there

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No you are just stupid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump questions number of deaths attributed to Hurricane Maria, falsely says Democrats created a higher count to make him look bad

President Trump took issue Thursday with the number of deaths attributable to Hurricane Maria,

falsely saying a much higher count had been

generated by Democrats to “make me look as bad as possible.”

A sweeping report from George Washington University released last month estimated there were 2,975 “excess deaths” in the six months after the storm made landfall in Puerto Rico in September 2017.

Trump said on Twitter that “they had anywhere from 6 to 18 deaths”

when he visited the island about two weeks after the storm.

“As time went by it did not go up by much,” Trump wrote.

“Then, a long time later, they started to report really large numbers, like 3000. ...

This was done by the Democrats in order to make me look as bad as possible

when I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico.

If a person died for any reason, like old age, just add them onto the list.

Bad politics.
    I love Puerto Rico!”

Trump’s tweets — which came as a highly dangerous Hurricane Florence churned toward the Carolinas —

brought an immediate rebuke from Democrats in Congress, as well as some Republicans.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...nl_most&wpmm=1

Breaking: Don the Con Trash is fraudulent lying piece of loser in every aspect of his being.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so in fact they did not die

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of like a leader that claims only 18 people died in a hurricane that killed thousands amirite?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Puerto Rican evacuees search for housing before hotel vouchers expire

Vouchers allowing Puerto Ricans displaced by hurricane Maria to live in hotels on the mainland will

expire on Sept. 14.

With limited resources, many evacuees are faced with tough decisions to keep roofs over their heads.

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2018/0...ouchers-expire

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FEMA head blames “spousal abuse” for more deaths in Puerto Rico caused by Hurricane Maria

The Trump administration undercounted the number of deaths due to Hurricane Maria but they have an excuse as to why

https://www.salon.com/2018/09/16/fem...rricane-maria/

The Repugs's REPUGNANT FEMA, misgoverned

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘Grossly inaccurate’: 130 members of the House and Senate demand Trump apologize for refusing to accept Puerto Rico’s death count

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/gro...e+Raw+Story%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash hates women, esp brown women

Trump: ‘Incompetent’ San Juan Mayor Means ‘Absolute No’ On Puerto Rico Statehood

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/t...+%28TPMNews%29

... and ALL his "business" is personal, not professional, not governmental, not For The People, always For Trash Himself.

Thread Information