Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this might have already been posted sorry if it is.

http://www.woai.com/content/blogs/do...QpHd36hWw.cspx

So maybe the Spurs best hope is surgery. I talked to Sean Elliott at a local charity event Thursday night. He's an expert on the "what's ailing Tim Duncan subject." Sean also had quadricepts tendenosis. In fact, he had surgery on both the left and the right during his Spurs career.

Sean's take? Rest helps. In between games, but not over the long haul. Sean said that the Spurs have hope because there are no back to back games during the playoffs. He added that the first round schedule will help the Spurs. That's when the NBA drags the series out two weeks for the TV schedule. It's not uncommon to play games one and two on a Saturday then not again until Tuesday. Then two days off and game three on Friday. He said that will be like Tim having a week off.

But there is no real cure without surgery. I don't know the extent of Tim's quad problems and they may be nowhere near the severity of Elliott's. But it sure looks like it. If that's the case, don't be surprised if Tim decides to go under the knife this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You realize that Sean's injury was like 12 years ago, right? Like they wouldn't have new treatments? One that I heard about was injecting an irritant into the quad area to encourage the growth of new good tendon material over the raggedy .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Elliott's tendonosis was at its worst, he literally looked like he was playing with roller skates on. He couldn't bend his knees when he ran and his explosiveness was completely shot. Thankfully Duncan isn't at that point yet.

The good news is that Elliott looked much better after his surgery.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Quadriceps Tendonitis is common in athletes who stop and go a lot or jump.

Steve Francis disease...surgery can have good or bad outcomes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe he could just put a band-aid on it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did not hear about a surgical option to this point. If surgery could benefit him over the next three or four years, maybe that's an option.

Right now, it looks like he is really struggling with his movement. Tim is not Tim right now.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't seen surgery talked about as an option either. I just hope they do anything and everything that can help him. I'd hate to see his career end any earlier than he wants it to because of injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't play quality basketball if you can't bend your knees. I applaud him for trying.

I know what I'm about to say is heresy, but I don't think he should be playing. We can afford to take a year off and get our Big Three healty. Dragging this out for the balance of Manu and Tim's careers is going to be like watching a great superstar struggle against Fate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quadriceps Tendonitis is common in athletes who stop and go a lot or jump.

Steve Francis disease...surgery can have good or bad outcomes.
    Francis had surgery for a torn quadriceps. Big difference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know about this, i'm no sort of doctor in the slightest, but it surgery would help him for next year then I say get it done asap after the playoffs, then he gets the whole of the offseason and the start of next season is needed to recover.

Once again I don't know the ins and outs of it but it's worth looking into.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't seen surgery talked about as an option either. I just hope they do anything and everything that can help him. I'd hate to see his career end any earlier than he wants it to because of injury.
    I don't believe that'll happen. I think he'll be fine after he can get some rest and the right treatment.

Thread Information