Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    France NT summer is very busy. If things went well, Parker will play 10 weeks with them between July 12th and September 20th.

Parker is right now tired after a season with Spurs where he carried the team. If Spurs goes far in these playoffs, I don't know how Tony will be able to have a strong season in 09-10.
    Sweet so Parker could conceivably not have a break at all this summer. Fantastic.

And yeah, if the Spurs make any sort of run in the playoffs and Parker is going to play for the entire offseason, next year's Spurs season is over before it begins.

More great news.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been against it since Robinson suited up after the Dream Team. I was against Duncan playing. I didn't even want Pop to coach because it'd burn him out.

It's not a national thing with me. If something lowers the Spurs' chances of winning a championship, I'll be against it.

Agreed 1000%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Argie national team isn't more talented, neither the German, Italian or Greek. IMO The U.S and Spain are the only teams with more talent on their rosters.
    So is it the style of play then? Coaching? What?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    France NT summer is very busy. If things went well, Parker will play 10 weeks with them between July 12th and September 20th.

Parker is right now tired after a season with Spurs where he carried the team. If Spurs goes far in these playoffs, I don't know how Tony will be able to have a strong season in 09-10.
    well diaw, pietrus, noah and turiaf are playing good this year, it wasn't happening the last couple of years, so let's hope tony will not have to carry this team again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sweet so Parker could conceivably not have a break at all this summer. Fantastic.

And yeah, if the Spurs make any sort of run in the playoffs and Parker is going to play for the entire offseason, next year's Spurs season is over before it begins.

More great news.

the spurs only need to give him a full month more to rest before playing in the beginning of next RS (if french team plays the final tournament). that should be something doable.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one has ever played in the olympics that has played in the NBA

No one has gotten hurt as many times playing for their national team like Manu has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been against it since Robinson suited up after the Dream Team. I was against Duncan playing. I didn't even want Pop to coach because it'd burn him out.

It's not a national thing with me. If something lowers the Spurs' chances of winning a championship, I'll be against it.
    I agree 100%. I wasn't necessarily referring to you, but to the public in general. Lots of teams are taking notice of the Spurs situation and making mental notes I'm quite sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad choice of words. I should have stated "moral" obligation, but the word might lead most to be highly cynical about it. Yes, employees have moral obligations just the same as employers do. These need not be explicitly stated.

Take money from someone, agree to keep yourself healthy and not run up the mileage on your body. It's just the right thing to do. Like timvp said, the Olympics is cool, but every scrub tournament is excessive.
    Tony has not hid this, nor did Manu. The Spurs knew that signing them included their commitments to play for their countries- ones that quite frankly contributed greatly to their being the players they were when they got to SA. I think their desire to represent their countries speaks well to the kind of people they are, as opposed to those who feel no desire to give back to the growth of basketball in their native countries after making millions in the sport.

And why just the Olympics? For these countries each new level to which they qualify is big deal and a building block for the future. Ask Slovenian fans how they celebrated when their team qualified for its first World Championships. You would have thought they won the Olympics!

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And you invested in that stupid company

He does not want to get paid millions, he IS getting paid millions. The Spurs knew what they were getting.

So now I have to stop going to games, because some ball player is playing in exhibtion games in some broken down bull gym in bulgaria?

Bull . You want to come to America, you want to play here, then you show the damn dedication and don't do it ing half assed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one has gotten hurt as many times playing for their national team like Manu has.
    He got hurt playing for the Spurs, not for the NT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is a huge cultural and nationalistic rift between the US athletes/fans and athletes/fans from other countries. One side will never understand the other side's stance.
    Oh there is understanding, just disagreement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now I have to stop going to games, because some ball player is playing in exhibtion games in some broken down bull gym in bulgaria?

Bull . You want to come to America, you want to play here, then you show the damn dedication and don't do it ing half assed.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is going to hurt us a lot over the next few seasons. With Duncan in his twilight, Parker will need to shoulder most of the load. We need him rested and ready for the season.

I agree with timvp...if he wants to play in the Olympics then that is his perogative, but playing in garbage tournaments every summer is excessive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And no, you do not HAVE to stop going to games. Just like the Spurs signing Manu, you have a choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll take tparks side on this mess also.
    Doing this bull makes them less popular with their hometown nba fans also, like all tony's fans here that are pissed off about it.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

More great news.

But hey, he gets to play in some bull tournament no one gives a about!!!

What the if it ruins the Spurs chances next year, the tournament matters much more!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    France's problems have been a combination of poor coaching and bad chemistry. I'm not sure if it's the bad chemistry making the coaching look bad or the poor coaching creating bad chemistry ... but French basketball has literally been the ugliest basketball to watch in the last decade.

It's almost all isolation plays and with their recent lack of shooters, it's basically one man running into a crowd every time up the court. It's amazing how little they take advantage of Diaw's passing or anyone's post game. And then defensively they aren't nearly as crafty with calling zones or switching matchups as must Euro teams are.

Parker might only be an average passer on the NBA level for a point guard but on his French team he looks like Magic Johnson compared to everyone else's ability to pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one has ever played in the olympics that has played in the NBA
    .......And suffered an injury which resulted in his missing a substantial portion of the regular season and the entire playoffs while being a starter/6th man in the NBA?

Not as I can recall.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got hurt playing for the Spurs, not for the NT.

Go rewatch the 2002 "World championships"

Go rewatch last summer.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And no, you do not HAVE to stop going to games. Just like the Spurs signing Manu, you have a choice.

Just like Parker as well

Successfull NBA career and succesfull team that relies on him?

Or go play some bull tournament.

Yeah I can see that choice.

that horse .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the spurs only need to give him a full month more to rest before playing in the beginning of next RS (if french team plays the final tournament). that should be something doable.
    How about France giving him a full month rest while they figure out whether or not their team is even halfway close to being a legitimate contender?

The Spurs gave Parker a month off this season. But considering Parker's size and the amount of hits he takes during the NBA, he needs the whole summer off to give his body a chance to survive the upcoming rigors. Parker takes as much of a pounding as anyone in the league. This year even more so than usual.

He needs a good three to four months off to get refuel, as ducks would say.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oh just shut the up already. You don't decide what it takes to "come to America" you arrogant prick. Plus, its not like the Spurs got the raw end of the deal here. We've done well with them, and hopefully, our FO lives up to the hype and helps us do well without them.

Trying to imply that because they want to represent their country they don't respect the Spurs is beyond ing stupid, but then again, nothing new with you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just like Parker as well

Successfull NBA career and succesfull team that relies on him?

Or go play some bull tournament.

Yeah I can see that choice.

that horse .
    he has this succesfull NBA career thanks to the basketball formation that the country he wants to play for gave him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony has not hid this, nor did Manu. The Spurs knew that signing them included their commitments to play for their countries- ones that quite frankly contributed greatly to their being the players they were when they got to SA. I think their desire to represent their countries speaks well to the kind of people they are, as opposed to those who feel no desire to give back to the growth of basketball in their native countries after making millions in the sport.

And why just the Olympics? For these countries each new level to which they qualify is big deal and a building block for the future. Ask Slovenian fans how they celebrated when their team qualified for its first World Championships. You would have thought they won the Olympics!
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not against a player giving back as you say. It's a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, this represents a conflict as it were. The choice for the player then is: employer or country. There are many ways to give back with the millions they make. Just as long as they do it off court. Ultimately it's an issue of health, are you as a player doing everything within reason to stay healthy so that you can fulfill your obligations?

Again, Olympics every four years: reasonable. All of these tournaments each and every year are really pushing the envelope though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't know maybe our French friends can give us their opinion.

Thread Information