Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Mason got a raw deal at the end of this season. He helped carry this team this season. He belongs in the swingman rotation, Pop. Spurs fans who dismiss him need to figure it out.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Should be good no matter what they do with him, if he stays hopefully pop learns that he is a shooter and sticks with that, but on the other hand he could be a nice trading piece

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is just way too limited Pop had pretty high hopes for him the way he talked him up during training camp last year, but he would up being just what he is...a spot up shooter/off screen shooter.

Unless he takes it up a level, he is trade bait.
    Clearly, Mason was productive in the role that he was in initially - a spot-up, shooting, 2 guard. It was when Pop elected to start tinkering with him at backup PG, is where he struggled. Sure he's limited defensively and is horrible at running the point. I don't care how much Pop talked him up, he had to be familiar with Mason's strengths and limitations when he brought him here. I'm not a big fan of this philosophy of position flexibility with players who do not have a varied skill set. Mason fits in well and can continue to be productive in the role that he had. Anything outside of that, he'll struggle.

That said, if they could package him for a slashing, SG or SF, who is in mid-career, that's fine too.

George Hill: 2-Guard NewJerSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully he can work on his dribble a bit in the offseason (or at least the maintenance of it when handling the ball) and make more of an attempt to drive to the basket. He proved to have pretty good court vision when he got deep penetration into the lane.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he hasn't hurt his trade value, I could easily see him being included in a trade for a big name player. Hopefully that wouldn't be someone like VC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he hasn't hurt his trade value, I could easily see him being included in a trade for a big name player. Hopefully that wouldn't be someone like VC.
    vince carter can suck my left nut

if we ever get that has been i will never be a spurs fan ever again seriously

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plain and simple: Keep him in his natural position of shooter for next season. He over thinks the point guard position. Keep him at the off guard/forward and his confidence will not be hurt like this season.
    Put him in Finley's role as solely a spot-up shooter and jettison Finley.
    They are saying the same thing, and that's what I'd do. The guy is a deadly shooter, but he can't be a creator or a focus of the offence - he needs to be the guy catching passes from Tim/Tony/Manu/4th scorer and nailing that .

I'd like to see him stick around. Seems like a Spur to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to see him stick around. Seems like a Spur to me.
    Most definitely. I think he's a guy that would be even better in his 2nd year in the system too.

In Manu we STILL trust! rayray2k8's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mason didn't get a fair shake at the end of the season and it's apparent that Hill will handle the back-up duties when Parker hits
    the bench. Even if Hill can't struggles, we still have Manu who is able of handling the ball during crunch time.
    I agree that Mason should stay at his natural position and has proven that he capable of hitting big shots.

Veteran ManuTim_best of Fwiendz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mason is a keeper for now. Our three point shooters are diminishing too much for us to jettison him or Bonner (With Bowen, Finley possibly leaving)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mason has played Finley-like defense most of the season.
    He really needs to put more focus on his defense if he wants to be a great role player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree..he was playing pt which threw off his game, instead of playing his natural position as sg. Hopefully he doesn't bring the ball up the court one time next yr.
    It's going to happen at some point as most players (especially perimeter guys do due to different cir stances) so prepare yourself for that day.

I agree with Bruno on the defensive side of things, especially being that his defense was heralded more coming into the season in '08. He seemed decent early on in the year but struggled towards the end, as did much of the team.

Again, I hope he works on keeping his dribble when he's not coming off screens or spotting up and makes more of an effort to drive more next season because although he wasn't a great finisher at the rim he was a very good passer around the basket, often putting bigs in a position to get off high-percentage shots and even found other perimeter guys wide open for long distance shots....good court vision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we not going to win a le with Mason part of the rotation, he has no defense at all and on offense he just have outside shot, he can't drive the ball or finish in the paint.
    two years in a row he disappear in the playoffs - also in Washington it happened to him.
    in Europe he was just an average player - he is not NBA level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we not going to win a le with Mason part of the rotation, he has no defense at all and on offense he just have outside shot, he can't drive the ball or finish in the paint.
    two years in a row he disappear in the playoffs - also in Washington it happened to him.
    in Europe he was just an average player - he is not NBA level.
    We did alright with Steve Kerr whose primary asset was his jumper behind the arc and some others. A lot was placed on his plate and he didn't respond as well as the team needed him to (and Dallas closed out well on him as well) but I believe he can still improve. He had some big games earlier in the season and was clutch on many occasions and I think that will remain the same next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mason struggles when he has to create for others, but I'm quite happy with him as a shot maker after one of the big 3 (or the offense) has created something for him.

People's opinion of him went down drastically after the Dallas series but I view a lot of that as result of Mason being in a role he's not well suited for. His handle is not nearly good enough to be a back-up point guard or to consistently create offense in a playoff situation.

I agree his D seemed to slide the whole year-- I mean after the first Laker game, he was even receiving kudos for his D on Kobe. By the end of the year, he was sitting because he couldn't stay with JJ Barea. I do hope he works on his D, as this is a deficiency that is a lot harder to hide.
    Last edited by StoneBuddha; 05-13-2009 at 11:44 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know I for one sorely over estimated his ball handling abilities. I thought he would have been much better (from all the times I watched him in WAS). It was a different system for the Wiz and his capabilities did not translate well into the Spurs system.

I agree with Bruno that he needs to focus on defense. He is not going to be great, but I do feel he could pay more attention to it.

Having said that, he did very well in his proper role and he can be a nice piece to the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It looks like Mason Jr will spend another year with few minutes

Coach Mike D'Antoni had been saying that the compe ion for playing time at the backup wing spots was between Bill Walker, Landry Fields and Roger Mason, but only Fields has distinguished himself with any kind of consistency over the course of the first five exhibition games. The nice thing about using Douglas alongside Felton in the backcourt is that is forces the opposition to put a slower defender on one of the two.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...y-sg-after-all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about that 11-man rotation?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Temple, Neal, Anderson, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mason

#1 poster - @chazley
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My boy!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mason might be the worst player in the NBA. His specialty is three-point shooting and he sucks at it. i still can't get over the fact that he disrupted the team's chemistry last year by asking for a trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Incredible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to the Knicks-Raptos game on Friday (in Montreal)

Since I`ll be seating courtside, I will probably get Mason to sign my Spurs jersey

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He hasn't played well for the Knicks this pre-season...he went 1-6 tonight in 18 minutes against the Sixers

Thread Information