Page 105 of 143 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 3559
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 - Again, delaying Leonard's signing can be beneficial even if the Spurs don't get a max player. Think of it this way: The Spurs would have about the same amount of 2015 cap space after trading for Calderon than they would if they extended Leonard. So the team would essentially be getting Jose for free. There may be better $8M/year players out there, but the logic of signing or trading for any of them is the same.
    I understand the logic of your point, but I would much rather have the 8M in cap space than have Calderon and I'd hate to give up even the remote possibility of landing a major free agent for him. (Full disclosure- I've been arguing against any acquisition of Calderon for years before you started posting, so I am biased against the guy)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll totally have to finish my draft of the salary thread, but I'm almost positive the Spurs don't have a max slot available next summer under current assumptions. That's especially true if Green continues to play above what most people had estimated for this next contract. No way the team should let Danny walk to chase FAs.
    Amen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would Cojo re-sign affect space to sign Green?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would Cojo re-sign affect space to sign Green?
    In practical terms, there's no way that the Spurs will risk losing Green in order to keep Joseph.

In terms of the rules, it depends. If the Spurs use cap space to sign a free agent, then they'll have to fit all their resigning players under the salary cap, with only the room exception and vet minimum exception available to exceed the cap. So every dollar spent on one player is a dollar that can't be spent on another. If, however, the Spurs do not use cap space to sign a free agent, then they'll have the MLE and BAE for free agent signings and they can use Bird Rights to bring their own players back while exceeding the salary cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So a raise for not-Parker and not-Mills point guard doesn't really affect a raise for Green, as much as it affects what free agents could replace Ayers, Bonner, Baynes, and maybe Timmy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll totally have to finish my draft of the salary thread, but I'm almost positive the Spurs don't have a max slot available next summer under current assumptions. That's especially true if Green continues to play above what most people had estimated for this next contract. No way the team should let Danny walk to chase FAs.
    Green only has a $7.5m cap hold so his contract is unlikely to be a factor in holding us back if Tim and Manu retire. Also it's very tough to predict what will happen to the cap over the next couple of years. Including roster cap holds we've got $51m committed going in to next summer, we won't have a 10 year vet max but if the final cap figure trends towards $70m we will be close enough to Gasol or Aldridge's max to be in the conversation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every bit as unrealistic as Cojo for Lavine. Teams, especially rebuilding teams, aren't going to give up players that they just drafted, and have under rookie contracts for 4 years, for one that is about to be a free agent
    i think you're probably right. but that's so wierd. the spurs can afford to jettison a contributor for a friendly contract dice roll. i'd expect the celtics and twolves to be looking for home town discount, championship caliber contributors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think you're probably right. but that's so wierd. the spurs can afford to jettison a contributor for a friendly contract dice roll. i'd expect the celtics and twolves to be looking for home town discount, championship caliber contributors.
    for the purpose of simplicity, i use home town discount very loosely. the player may not necessarily be playing at home, but close to or with stars/potential stars from home.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Victor Claver available. Could be had for a 1-1 swap for either Daye or Ayres (doubt they want their own garbage though). Has bad overall career stats compared to Daye, but the same was said of Casspi, and the latter has been performing better than the former.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Draymond Green could be getting $10m+ in the summer, if the Warriors pay him then they'll end up with a huge luxury tax bill.

If the Warriors need to get rid of Lee we could absorb his contract in the summer. What would we be willing to give up for him? If Timmy retires a first rounder is probably too valuable to give up, but if Timmy wants to come back and therefore we don't have the space for a max player I'd consider Lee for a pick that will likely be #28-30

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Draymond Green could be getting $10m+ in the summer, if the Warriors pay him then they'll end up with a huge luxury tax bill.

If the Warriors need to get rid of Lee we could absorb his contract in the summer. What would we be willing to give up for him? If Timmy retires a first rounder is probably too valuable to give up, but if Timmy wants to come back and therefore we don't have the space for a max player I'd consider Lee for a pick that will likely be #28-30
    But, but... we already have a better player than Lee in the form of Boris Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would much rather sign O'Quinn and another player or two than give up a first for Lee, Tim or no Tim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'd rather the spurs just go for Draymond in free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry, thompson, iggy, and lee should take up a pretty big chunk. I think green is gonna be in for a big contract. I smell a harden style trade in golden state.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Draymond a lot, but in no way is he in a similar position to Harden's a couple of years ago. He's in line to get less than the MLE unless a team is stupid. In any event, the Warriors aren't really capped out. They're projected to be under the cap the year Green becomes an RFA. They'd definitely be able to keep him and stay under the tax unless they hand out a big contract to anyone besides Thompson. It's not impossible for Green to go to another team, but it wouldn't be because Golden State can't afford him.
    also, this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Green's going anywhere. If he does, it'll be because Klay got $17 Million a year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'd rather the spurs just go for Draymond in free agency.
    If they want that player, they have him in Europe already. His name is DeShaun Thomas. He can shoot and score, but he's too short to play the 4 and too chunky and immobile to check wing players. They're twin sons from different mothers.

One thing that you need to understand, though. There are players who get rotation minutes, or even start for other teams that could never play for the Popovich Spurs. Draymond is one of them. He makes Beli look like Bowen on D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Draymond a lot, but in no way is he in a similar position to Harden's a couple of years ago. He's in line to get less than the MLE unless a team is stupid. In any event, the Warriors aren't really capped out. They're projected to be under the cap the year Green becomes an RFA. They'd definitely be able to keep him and stay under the tax unless they hand out a big contract to anyone besides Thompson. It's not impossible for Green to go to another team, but it wouldn't be because Golden State can't afford him.
    Under the cap? You need to check again, they have $81m committed to players next year not including Draymonds contract. Lets say they bring back Speights (the only team option, $3.8m) and Draymond gets $9m (and I wouldn't be surprised if he got more), that puts them at $90m.

Assuming the tax starts around $80m, they'd be liable for $16.25m in tax, meaning their roster costs them $106m. Draymond Green effectively becomes a $26m player which is crazy, they will either let him go or trade Lee/Iggy so they get back under the tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another alternative might be giving up a first for Iguodala, who I'd prefer over Lee. Again there would be a worry about shot blocking as we'd play a lot of minutes very small.
    Last edited by Richie; 12-05-2014 at 04:49 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would much rather sign O'Quinn and another player or two than give up a first for Lee, Tim or no Tim.
    O'Quinn is a restricted free agent, there's no way we could get him away from the Magic for anything approaching good value. Also, we'd have to commit to him for 4 years, losing any hope of cap space in the future.

I like O'Quinn, and I agree I'm not sure I'd want to give up a first for David Lee, but I'd rather have Lee for $15m/1yr than O'Quinn for the $50m/4yr it'd take for the Magic not to match.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they want that player, they have him in Europe already. His name is DeShaun Thomas. He can shoot and score, but he's too short to play the 4 and too chunky and immobile to check wing players. They're twin sons from different mothers.

One thing that you need to understand, though. There are players who get rotation minutes, or even start for other teams that could never play for the Popovich Spurs. Draymond is one of them. He makes Beli look like Bowen on D.
    Draymond has a great defensive reputation. I don't know where you're getting the idea he's a liability on D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exstatic, do you play in any nba fantasy leagues?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Pitino and Izzo products, I trust. I still swear by Siva. If the spurs bring him in over the summer instead of Cotton, Cojo would be George Hill trade 2.0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exstatic, do you play in any nba fantasy leagues?
    Nope. I don't care about fantasy sports. They have little connection with championship sports play, and downplay or ignore defense, other than counting steals and blocks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Under the cap? You need to check again, they have $81m committed to players next year not including Draymonds contract. Lets say they bring back Speights (the only team option, $3.8m) and Draymond gets $9m (and I wouldn't be surprised if he got more), that puts them at $90m.

Assuming the tax starts around $80m, they'd be liable for $16.25m in tax, meaning their roster costs them $106m. Draymond Green effectively becomes a $26m player which is crazy, they will either let him go or trade Lee/Iggy so they get back under the tax.
    Context is important. First, that post Lab quoted is months old. Secobd, by the context, it should be clear that I meant "over" and mistyped.

Thread Information