Page 115 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 3559
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically depends on whether the Nets want to take a chance on Rose or just clear their cap at the end of the season. We are talking about the same team that paid Deron Williams to START for the Mavs. If I'm Billy King, I'm offering Joe Johnson for Melo if the Knicks are interested in clearing cap space to go after Durant/Whiteside.
    I can see them biting on that, but they'll need a third team to give New York assets. A deal that lopsided will require a few first rounders, and the Nets don't have any til like 2020. New York would be pretty awful after that trade, and they wouldn't even be able to find the bright side to that since they don't own their pick next year. If they don't get picks, it's a HUGE gamble.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I can see them biting on that, but they'll need a third team to give New York assets. A deal that lopsided will require a few first rounders, and the Nets don't have any til like 2020. New York would be pretty awful after that trade, and they wouldn't even be able to find the bright side to that since they don't own their pick next year. If they don't get picks, it's a HUGE gamble.
    Melo has a "no trade clause" thus the Knicks can't dump his salary unless he wants to play in Chicago or something & Phil is willing to take a chance on D-Rose's expiring contract next season. Might happen if the Knicks can't land a top FA so they can clear cap space for the summer of 2017.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Conley >>>> Rose, no question. Getting rid of Rose clears up quite a bit of cap room for them in the summer. And Gasol's performance this year just makes things awkward for the frontcourt. You have to play him because of his numbers, but he's playing god awful defense and taking up space on the floor that limits Noah's performance. You also have to play Mirotic with Gasol cause he best complements Pau's game, but he's pretty overrated and hasn't made any leap of progress this year. Having Randolph can give Noah the space around the rim he needs and may work out even better than Gasol. They need to give Bobby Portis minutes as well. Guy has been awesome in his limited minutes. Also, Butler is easily their best player.
    Conley's been pretty bad this season, so it's more like Conley > Rose. Also, your whole point about Gasol makes no sense when Zbo has less range and is just as nada defender, if not worse. Even then, Noah is declining, not underperforming; getting him "more space" won't change that especially when his offensive game is bad to begin with. As for Butler, his at ude lately makes me doubt him as their best player. He may be their best two way player, but with that at ude he's more like Cousins than a Paul George: most talented player on the roster, but not the best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are a small market team & not the most desirable destination for young players thus the PATFO can't afford handing out 1st rd picks on a multi year rookie contracts when average players are demanding 10+ mill b/c of the new CBA.

Look at OKC, they gave up Jeremy Lamb & Perry Jones for next to nothing then had to overpay Kanter & trot out Roberson as their starting wing b/c Singler is the other option. Even the Clippers have no depth b/c they mortgaged off their picks & can't even execute trade without giving up a top rotation player b/c they have nothing else to offer. You can bait a rebuilding team like the Nets who have no 1st rd picks until 2019 to give up a proven vet such as Thad Young (as opposed to an unproven young player) by offering them Kyle or a future 1st rd pick. You can't be offering two 1st rd picks for an unproven player like McLemore, if Simmons can hit the corner 3 at a 40% rate then McLemore might not even be a need. Will Barton has turned out to be better than McLemore & Simmons game is similar to Barton's.

Kyle is a rotation player in the NBA but he's currently redundant b/c of Boris & not as valuable as he would be on other teams b/c he plays behind Kawhi along w/ the emergence of Simmons. I was intrigued by McLemore b/c of Manu's eminent retirement & the lack of shooters coming off the bench (hard to play Kyle/Simmons together b/c neither one is a shooter). Allen Crabbe is getting major playing time w/ the Blazers but he isn't better than Kyle based on college, rookie season & this past summer league.

I agree with you, both on the value of 1st round picks, even late 1st round picks for the Spurs and your valuation of Kyle's trade interest.

Also, you are right that Kyle seems redundant for us right now bc of our current personnel, but he would be a rotation player for other teams. I doubt Spurs will part with both him and a 1st. Either he's intriguing enough to some team on his own or he won't be traded. As it stands, bc of our likely retiring vets and just the unknown composition of the team going forward, the Spurs are likely to just develop their young guys hoping they can in the future fill bigger roles, and if it seems like it won't work then consider a trade.

Right now Simmons is outplaying even a veteran NBA champ like Danny Green at times, so for him to surpass a young still developing player like Kyle is no big deal.

It remains to be seen whether Simmons can maintain his level of play, but other than his 3 cooling off a bit, what he's doing right now us repeatable. He gets a lot of shots at the basket in transition bc he's aggressive running the break and taking it to the rim. When he's slashed in the regular rotation, he blows by guys bc they close out aggressively and Simmons has an explosive first step. He can also pass the balk well if you don't have him trying to do too much. His TO have mostly been in garbage time when he is trying to impersonate Manu.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I agree with you, both on the value of 1st round picks, even late 1st round picks for the Spurs and your valuation of Kyle's trade interest.

Also, you are right that Kyle seems redundant for us right now bc of our current personnel, but he would be a rotation player for other teams. I doubt Spurs will part with both him and a 1st. Either he's intriguing enough to some team on his own or he won't be traded. As it stands, bc of our likely retiring vets and just the unknown composition of the team going forward, the Spurs are likely to just develop their young guys hoping they can in the future fill bigger roles, and if it seems like it won't work then consider a trade.

Right now Simmons is outplaying even a veteran NBA champ like Danny Green at times, so for him to surpass a young still developing player like Kyle is no big deal.

It remains to be seen whether Simmons can maintain his level of play, but other than his 3 cooling off a bit, what he's doing right now us repeatable. He gets a lot of shots at the basket in transition bc he's aggressive running the break and taking it to the rim. When he's slashed in the regular rotation, he blows by guys bc they close out aggressively and Simmons has an explosive first step. He can also pass the balk well if you don't have him trying to do too much. His TO have mostly been in garbage time when he is trying to impersonate Manu.
    He's from the tri-state area so the Nets might have interest in him since they don't have any 1st rd picks to rebuild. (Thad Young for Bobo+Kyle+salary filler could be an option if Boris let himself go in the offseason). Even the Knicks could use a guy like Kyle to run the triangle esp. Melo is shipped out to clear cap space (Kyle O'Quinn for Kyle+Salary filler if West opts out/retires).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's from the tri-state area so the Nets might have interest in him since they don't have any 1st rd picks to rebuild. (Thad Young for Bobo+Kyle+salary filler could be an option if Boris let himself go in the offseason). Even the Knicks could use a guy like Kyle to run the triangle esp. Melo is shipped out to clear cap space (Kyle O'Quinn for Kyle+Salary filler if West opts out/retires).
    Absolutely not. I like Young a lot, and I would love to get him - but not at the expense of BOTH Boris and Kyle. Turrible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA for Cousins?
    Just read what Barkley said about DeMarcus and I completely agree. I know he is a headache and , but playing next to Tim and with Pop, that might work. Righrt now we have 1 Center and 3 PF's, so that balance would be somewhat better and Karl & even the Kings FO had enough of Cousins, so win-win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers are rumored to be willing to get rid of combo guard and San Antonian, Jordan Clarkson. We could give them their choice of Butler or McCallum and a draft pick. Thoughts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers are rumored to be willing to get rid of combo guard and San Antonian, Jordan Clarkson. We could give them their choice of Butler or McCallum and a draft pick. Thoughts?
    I looked it up bc the rumor surprised me a little.
    http://www.inquisitr.com/2673076/la-lakers-rumors-jordan-clarkson-may-not-be-in-los-angeles-much-longer/

They are wondering whether Clarkson is a player to build around and that his contract could see a precipitous escalation after a couple of years. I don't understand the salary rules, and I haven't watched Clarkson enough to be gaga about him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I looked it up bc the rumor surprised me a little.
    http://www.inquisitr.com/2673076/la-lakers-rumors-jordan-clarkson-may-not-be-in-los-angeles-much-longer/

They are wondering whether Clarkson is a player to build around and that his contract could see a precipitous escalation after a couple of years. I don't understand the salary rules, and I haven't watched Clarkson enough to be gaga about him.
    I haven't really seen the guy much, either. He interests me for the sentimental reason that he is from San Antonio, and for the practical reason that the Spurs need to find some guard help in the very near future. He has good size at 6'5", and he is only 23. His shooting is fair and would probably improve working with Chip.

In truth, I can't really imagine the Spurs making any move this season. I think everybody on our roster except Butler and McCallum is virtually untouchable, for one reason or another. Still I worry about life without Manu and (soon) Tony. Patty, Simmons, Danny and an aging Tony (counting Kyle as a front court player) don't seem to make for a championship backcourt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clarkso. Would be redundant with kyle and simmons already in the team. Like the dude tho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's going to get a huge raise this summer. Spurs would have to project him as an important part of their future to justify spending a pick on what could be a short term rental of a player who probably won't crack the rotation this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's going to get a huge raise this summer. Spurs would have to project him as an important part of their future to justify spending a pick on what could be a short term rental of a player who probably won't crack the rotation this season.
    Don't know how much he will command this summer, but we need a reasonably young but experienced veteran for the backcourt very soon. I count both Danny and Kyle as "wings". Danny is not really a backcourt player in the sense of being a guy you want handling the ball (as this season has so convincingly demonstrated). And Kyle may be a good ball handler for his size; but I can't help but believe smaller, quicker guards would cause him fits on both ends of the court. I believe Kyle at best could become a 3/4 hybrid kind of like Boris - again not one of your primary ball handlers. So, after this season (also assuming Manu retires) we will have Patty, Simmons and the aging Tony, unless McCallum has some tricks up his (short) sleeves that he has not yet shown us. We will need a good regular rotation contributor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know how much he will command this summer, but we need a reasonably young but experienced veteran for the backcourt very soon. I count both Danny and Kyle as "wings". Danny is not really a backcourt player in the sense of being a guy you want handling the ball (as this season has so convincingly demonstrated). And Kyle may be a good ball handler for his size; but I can't help but believe smaller, quicker guards would cause him fits on both ends of the court. I believe Kyle at best could become a 3/4 hybrid kind of like Boris - again not one of your primary ball handlers. So, after this season (also assuming Manu retires) we will have Patty, Simmons and the aging Tony, unless McCallum has some tricks up his (short) sleeves that he has not yet shown us. We will need a good regular rotation contributor.
    Pop is not playing Kyle as a 4 though. Limited minutes early in the season he did, but that was I think more by Pop to get into Bobo's mind. Bobo needed to up his game quite honestly, or Pop was going to roll with Kyle whenever he was loafing around. Fair enough the loafing around went on for two games (Grizzlies/Suns early season games saw Bobo benched in favor of Kyle), but Bobo turned the ship around in spectacular fashion and luckily for us, that was the right play by Pop.

I think Pop is still experimenting with Kyle. Some words from his high school coach Bob Hurley when he recruited him as a junior in high school:

"I felt good about how things would go, but it wasn’t until I coached him this past year that I realized what a unique talent he is,” Hurley says. “He challenges you to try to use his size, skill set, ability to pass the ball and understanding of the game effectively on the court. We wanted to put the ball in his hands as much as possible.”
    link here http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/...ifferent-level

“Until you actually coach him, and have him, you don’t know exactly how to utilize him,” Hurley told SI.com this week. “I’m coaching for 40 years. I’ve never had anyone like him.”
    http://www.si.com/college-basketball...alford-arizona

His college coach his last season at UCLA, Bryce Alford:
    “It’s not every day as a coach you get to coach a 6-foot-9 point guard. I’ve yet to do that in 23 years of coaching. They don’t come around very often. I think (the point) is his most natural position, that’s where he flourishes. He’s got great instincts, a great feel, he knows when to shoot, when to drive. He’s got to be the best rebounding point guard in the country. We’ve done it for the last nine months and haven’t wavered from it. He’s embraced it from Day 1 as we have.”
    I think Kyle has challenged Pop as well to figure out how to use his skillset. It is a difficult package he has, but it is something this team will need with Manu retiring (although Diaw is such a high BBIQ player and leader himself, he's also older as well) and just the BBIQ and leadership part is rare in any player... at any position and it comes naturally for him. We just have to let him develop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree with any of that except to say that I don't think we need that guy this summer and I believe they're much more likely to try to grow that guy in house. Any significant salary addition will have to wait until 2017.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is not playing Kyle as a 4 though. Limited minutes early in the season he did, but that was I think more by Pop to get into Bobo's mind. Bobo needed to up his game quite honestly, or Pop was going to roll with Kyle whenever he was loafing around. Fair enough the loafing around went on for two games (Grizzlies/Suns early season games saw Bobo benched in favor of Kyle), but Bobo turned the ship around in spectacular fashion and luckily for us, that was the right play by Pop.

I think Pop is still experimenting with Kyle. Some words from his high school coach Bob Hurley when he recruited him as a junior in high school:

link here http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/...ifferent-level

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...alford-arizona

His college coach his last season at UCLA, Bryce Alford:

I think Kyle has challenged Pop as well to figure out how to use his skillset. It is a difficult package he has, but it is something this team will need with Manu retiring (although Diaw is such a high BBIQ player and leader himself, he's also older as well) and just the BBIQ and leadership part is rare in any player... at any position and it comes naturally for him. We just have to let him develop.
    Um, Okay... I called Kyle a "wing" and "a 3/4 hybrid." I didn't say I considered him a 4. (But as long as you bring it up here, I do believe he is likely to ultimately settle into a position I have called "a point 4", comparing him to Diaw.) But the focus of my comments was not Kyle, but the lack of ball-handling backcourt players we will have very soon. I do not think Kyle fits that mold really, but again my comments about Kyle were peripheral to my main point. I do wonder whether, even if Clarkson's value goes up, he would be a good addition and fit under an increased cap.

As for Kyle, no doubt Pop is still trying to figure out how to integrate his skill package into the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree with any of that except to say that I don't think we need that guy this summer and I believe they're much more likely to try to grow that guy in house. Any significant salary addition will have to wait until 2017.
    I am afraid you are right. As a fan a little nervous about the thinning of our backcourt, I would like to get somebody sooner than it will likely take Pop to develop a good rotation player in-house.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um, Okay... I called Kyle a "wing" and "a 3/4 hybrid." I didn't say I considered him a 4. (But as long as you bring it up here, I do believe he is likely to ultimately settle into a position I have called "a point 4", comparing him to Diaw.) But the focus of my comments was not Kyle, but the lack of ball-handling backcourt players we will have very soon. I do not think Kyle fits that mold really, but again my comments about Kyle were peripheral to my main point. I do wonder whether, even if Clarkson's value goes up, he would be a good addition and fit under an increased cap.

As for Kyle, no doubt Pop is still trying to figure out how to integrate his skill package into the team.
    I see your point and I agree, an aging Tony, small SG Patty, shooter with no handles Danny, and project player Simmons are not a championship backcourt, the more Tony ages. He's already playing less minutes, and has been inconsistent and injury prone. I am not crazy over Clarkson though. He is more of a SG, has a scorer's mentality, and from what you can tell I like guys who can pass nicely and don't much care for wowing athleticism.

The Lakers will also want something valuable, Clarkson is basically their best young player, they are just apparently unsure whether they want to commit to him big time as a franchise player. I am not sure PATFO is ready for that either, but we'll need some upgrades that is for sure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Though he's been over hyped, they'd obviously project him as an important part of their future. Post Ginobili, he'd clearly be the sixth man and sometimes finisher at SG. In the interim, he'd clearly be the fourth wing.

I don't buy that they'll move him, but I'd be willing to give up Simmons and the 1st for him. Since the Spurs' pick is going to fall between 27-29, they more than likely wouldn't do it though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am afraid you are right. As a fan a little nervous about the thinning of our backcourt, I would like to get somebody sooner than it will likely take Pop to develop a good rotation player in-house.
    I think Spurs are trying to develop Simmons to fill that role at least immediately, therefore he's kind of being fastracked and his mistakes overlooked whenever Pop can spare them. He may plateau at some point or hit the rookie wall... when you basically continue to get better, but at some point that is it, you may go no further. We don't know, but he's likely to get a shot bc we are tied up money wise basically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be willing to give up Simmons and the 1st for him. Since the Spurs' pick is going to fall between 27-29, they more than likely wouldn't do it though.
    and they won't take that probably, since those two things are not worth a potential franchise guy. I think ultimately Lakers keep him unless they are making a move for a star and it requires that they give him up. Lakers just can't afford to throw away young good players like that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and they won't take that probably, since those two things are not worth a potential franchise guy. I think ultimately Lakers keep him unless they are making a move for a star and it requires that they give him up. Lakers just can't afford to throw away young good players like that.
    I know, that's why I said "they (Lakers) more than likely wouldn't do it though" and that "I don't buy that they'll move him".

He's nowhere near a potential franchise player. On a good team, I see him as the third guard in a three guard rotation, backing up both guard spots and playing roughly half a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The speculation I have seen is that they would possibly like to move Clarkson because they want to free up cap space to chase Durant at al. I don't think they expect a legit player in return. If they were even willing to deal with us, and they wanted a player, they would likely be more interested in Kyle - shades of Magic, UCLA guy - not Simmons. Then the question would be whether we would have any interest. I doubt it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The speculation I have seen is that they would possibly like to move Clarkson because they want to free up cap space to chase Durant at al. I don't think they expect a legit player in return. If they were even willing to deal with us, and they wanted a player, they would likely be more interested in Kyle - shades of Magic, UCLA guy - not Simmons. Then the question would be whether we would have any interest. I doubt it.
    They're projected to have about 60m in cap space. Clarkson's QO will be very small. If they are looking to unload him it would because they don't want to pay what they believe his market price will be. Which is precisely why I can't see the Spurs having much interest.

The amount of money chasing a limited number of quality FAs this summer is going to lead to some contracts that will have our heads spinning. The deals signed by LMA and Kawhi last summer will start to look like bargains.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the idea that the Spurs wouldn't be in a position to pay Clarkson or any impeding FA is a little misguided, no offense. The Spurs won't have cap space next season, but they will have room under the tax. If they aren't planning on going for a big fish in the 2017 off-season, it makes a TON of sense to trade for a guy like Clarkson. In fact, due to the Arenas RFA status, it actually makes some financial sense to trade for/pay him even if the team wants to go for 2017 free agency. Clarkson would still be on the MLE-part of his new contract, and that is likely smaller than the salary it would take to keep Mills. So the Spurs could move on from Patty and run with Parker, Clarkson and Green as the main guards with Kawhi and Anderson filling out the perimeter rotation.

Using a late first on a young guard under team control for two seasons after this one is actually good asset management, since the Spurs already have wings and bigs in their pipeline. If they believe Jordan Clarkson can be a long-term piece with sixth-man potential, trading for him now would be the best move.

Thread Information