Page 27 of 143 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Rubio going to Minnasota finally, I really think the Spurs need to take advantage of the situation. They have two PG's that would serve as good back up's and they would be willing to part with Darko to cut some salary. Here's what I propose

Spurs get:
    Darko
    Wes Johnson or Webster
    Ridnour or Flynn

Timberwolves get:
    McDyss
    Hill
    Jefferson

You could also through in Blar for Randolph too.
    Cutting salary and acquiring RJ are mutually exclusive. RJ has as much guaranteed money remaining on his contract as Darko, Webster, and Ridnour combined.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dice/Hill for Randolph/Ridnour would work. With Beas, Love and Derrick Williams likely on the roster, they have no need for Randoph.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Minny would rather keep Randolph and Ridnour. The only reason they helped the Knicks in the Melo trade was Randolph.

At this point, I think we could get Flynn, Darko or Pekovic really cheap and if what Bruno said is true (we have a gentleman agreement with Dice to pay his guaranteed money and after that he retires) , the Spurs FO have to find a way to trade him in order to be below the lux tax, even if we have to pay for his buyout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The missing piece of the Spurs is an athletic, defensive, rebounding BIG w/ some length to handle the likes of Aldridge, Zach Randolph, Gasol and Dirk.

Only problem, when was the last time a BIG man (read that as PF or C) was drafted beyond the 20th pick that ended up scoring more than 15 pts and grabbing more the 8 boards a game? Carlos Boozer was actually a 35th overall and is an exception. If you think Mehmet Okur is good, then he might be included (38th pick).

TD was a 1st overall pick. So was Dwight Howard, Andrew Bogut, Shaq, Chris Weber, Larry Johnson, Danny Manning, Pervis Ellison, Patrick Ewing, Hakeem Olajuwon, Elton Brand, Derrick Coleman, Kenyon Martin and Yao Ming. About 95% of all the centers and power forwards that ended up being halfway decent were all drafted w/in the 1st 15 picks. Guards (both point and shooting) drafted later have a far higher probability of success than big men drafted later.

Good big men are just harder to fine. The Spurs lucked up w/ Blair but even as good as he is, his length (or lack thereof) prevents him from seeing the floor during the playoffs in Popovich's scheme.

If the Spurs are serious about drafting a quality big man, their best course of action is to either wait til next year (when the draft will hopefully be stronger) or trade up into the lottery area. The possibility exists (I think) to trade w/ the Cavs to their 4th pick or even w/ Minnesota for their 2nd. Perhaps we can trade TP and Blair and/or Splitter to Toronto @ 5, Milwaukee @ 10 (rumored to want to get rid of Jennings) or Houston @ 14.

Personally, I think that if TP is traded, then the Spurs are officially rebuilding and every attempt to get the BEST BIG MAN they can right now is imperative. Why now? Couple of reasons: getting someone skilled now while Tim Duncan is still playing is best opportunity for him to teach the rookie (who know what Tim will want to do after retiring); having a marquee PF or C will help attract other players that will be free agents next year (such as CP3, Dwight Howard, etc.); most important, the current structure of the West necessitates it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker to Phoenix

Lopez and Nash to San Antonio any thoughts?

Pick up Free agent Josh Howard or Grant Hill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There were a rumor yesterday about Clippers wanting to sign Tayshaun Prince. If their plan is to add an old SF, RJ can be their guy. RJ for Ryan Gomes works salary wise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I certainly would contemplate it. I think we desperately need to move both Bonner and Jefferson. They simply don't have the mental toughness to play playoff ball. Therefore they MUST go for whatever we can get...
    You forgot Hill....but yeah all three need to go.....don't go away mad just go away!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You forgot Hill....but yeah all three need to go.....don't go away mad just go away!
    I don't tag Hill in with RJ and Bonner. While he is inconsistent, and I am not opposed to trading him, I look at last year's Dallas series and cannot damn him as permanently mentally weak. Don't forget, both Tony and Manu were inconsistent during their first couple of years in the league. Hill has lots of growing to do, but I can't hold him to a higher standard than those two...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu,George Hill for Danny Granger,Brandon Rush, and the 15th pick would be my ideal trade

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be happy if they could trade Hill to get a higher pick to grab Singleton.

Grab another point guard later. I'd be happy with Mack at 29 in that case. It might seem high for Mack, but he's going to be a solid back-up point in the league, all he has to do is spot up and play defense, which gives him one skill more than the likes of Chris Quinn who has managed a career in the NBA. Ginobili handles the ball when Parker is out anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps a better perspective for trades would be to look at contracts AND potential for the next 3-5 years, not just production for next year.

In 2014, Duncan, McDyess and Manu will probably be gone and Parker will be 32/33. The $21 million that went to Duncan, the $5 million that went to Dyse and the $8-9 million for Manu will all be re-allocated to other veterans that will HAVE to be picked up in free agency as the team won't have enough draft pics to fill the team w/ them alone.

So how should the Spurs best position themselves to remain compe ive to the level of vying for a championship while watching the Big 3 leave? There will never be another Duncan - even if there was, he probably wouldn't play for San Antonio. His former production will have to come from TWO or maybe even THREE players. Splitter, I think is one. If he can give 15 pts and 8 rebs a game, then the Spurs are halfway there. All they need is an athletic, long, physical center to that can get 6-8 pts, 12 rebs and 3 blocks a game (and be a major deterent to opposing penetrators). Probably need a 3rd player to get 8-10 pts and 4-5 rebs off the bench.

Next, we'll need to replace Manu w/ some capable shooting guards. The Spurs are in luck there as Da'Sean Butler and James Anderson both have potential. Between them, Gary Neal and Matt Bonner, points from 3s and midrange should be covered.

Lastly, they'll need someone who can penetrate and finish (or dish to open players) like TP. Hill isn't the answer but does have some abilities - plus, he plays better defense. TP's replacement, though, should be easier to find than the others as good PGs are always available. Look at the past 5 drafts...John Wall, Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry, Brandon Jennings, Ty Lawson, Russell Westbrook, Eric Gordon, Jerryd Bayless... there are more.

So, I say if there's a deal out there that helps get the Spurs to the next era, then let's get it done. TP, Manu, whoever...only non-tradeable asset is Duncan. He should ALWAYS be a Spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be happy if they could trade Hill to get a higher pick to grab Singleton.

Grab another point guard later. I'd be happy with Mack at 29 in that case. It might seem high for Mack, but he's going to be a solid back-up point in the league, all he has to do is spot up and play defense, which gives him one skill more than the likes of Chris Quinn who has managed a career in the NBA. Ginobili handles the ball when Parker is out anyway.
    +1

Hill is still young, and has value if a one of those teams around the 20 pick want a combo guard.. Hill would be a good choice. I would prefer Nogueria with the 29th pick, and go for those pg's in the 2nd round who aren't bad, or go after one in free agency, along with a big man.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re: General 2011 NBA Draft Discussion
    Trade Hill and Blair and get two additional picks and get these kids:

Malcom Thomas SF/PF San Diego - 6'9, 225 pds, 11 Pts, FG. 53%, Rebounds 8.1, Blocks 2.0 (A tough kid who can rebound/block shots and will be able to guard SF he has very good lateral quickness - the opposite of Bonner, Blair and RJ)

Keith Benson PF/C Oakland - 6'11 223 pds, 17.9 Pts, FG. 54%, Rebounds 10.0, Blocks 3.6 (Great rebounder/blocks shots just needs to juice up for about six months to add bulk)

Lucas Nogureria C - 7'0 225 pds, NA STATS (D Leauge just one year and hire a great weight coach for him)

Darrius Morris PG Michigan - 6'5, 190 pds - 15.0 Pts, Assist. 6.7, Rebounds 4.0 (Will easily be our second best pg and could replace Tony if traded in 2012)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps a better perspective for trades would be to look at contracts AND potential for the next 3-5 years, not just production for next year.

In 2014, Duncan, McDyess and Manu will probably be gone and Parker will be 32/33. The $21 million that went to Duncan, the $5 million that went to Dyse and the $8-9 million for Manu will all be re-allocated to other veterans that will HAVE to be picked up in free agency as the team won't have enough draft pics to fill the team w/ them alone.

So how should the Spurs best position themselves to remain compe ive to the level of vying for a championship while watching the Big 3 leave? There will never be another Duncan - even if there was, he probably wouldn't play for San Antonio. His former production will have to come from TWO or maybe even THREE players. Splitter, I think is one. If he can give 15 pts and 8 rebs a game, then the Spurs are halfway there. All they need is an athletic, long, physical center to that can get 6-8 pts, 12 rebs and 3 blocks a game (and be a major deterent to opposing penetrators). Probably need a 3rd player to get 8-10 pts and 4-5 rebs off the bench.

Next, we'll need to replace Manu w/ some capable shooting guards. The Spurs are in luck there as Da'Sean Butler and James Anderson both have potential. Between them, Gary Neal and Matt Bonner, points from 3s and midrange should be covered.

Lastly, they'll need someone who can penetrate and finish (or dish to open players) like TP. Hill isn't the answer but does have some abilities - plus, he plays better defense. TP's replacement, though, should be easier to find than the others as good PGs are always available. Look at the past 5 drafts...John Wall, Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry, Brandon Jennings, Ty Lawson, Russell Westbrook, Eric Gordon, Jerryd Bayless... there are more.

So, I say if there's a deal out there that helps get the Spurs to the next era, then let's get it done. TP, Manu, whoever...only non-tradeable asset is Duncan. He should ALWAYS be a Spur.
    Really?

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count

You can't "reload" a team that ages out and be any good. You get stuck in a loop where you either just barely make or just barely miss the playoffs, constantly drafting in the mid-teens, and can't ever get good enough to compete or bad enough to draft stars. SA has NEVER been able to sign top FAs, so that's out.

The only model to follow is OKC's. You wait for Tim to decide to hang them up, trade EVERY asset you have for picks, crash to the cellar, and be so bad that you pick in the top 5 for 3 straight years. Young players are also cheap, so that you can stockpile them from other sources than the draft if your cap is clear, much like OKC stole players like Maynor and Cook from teams desperate to either clear cap (MIA - Cook) or avoid the tax (UTH - Maynor).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just came across this trade idea with the knicks on bleacher report...want to know what everyone thinks of it...

chauncey billups and landry fields for tony parker

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    just came across this trade idea with the knicks on bleacher report...want to know what everyone thinks of it...

chauncey billups and landry fields for tony parker
    Since Billups has a fork in him, this is essentially Parker for Fields. Major fail.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't "reload" a team that ages out and be any good. You get stuck in a loop where you either just barely make or just barely miss the playoffs, constantly drafting in the mid-teens, and can't ever get good enough to compete or bad enough to draft stars. SA has NEVER been able to sign top FAs, so that's out.
    (UTH - Maynor).

That's kinda my point. The last time the Spurs drafted someone before pick 20 was Tim Duncan in 1997. And that was because the happened to win the lottery. Yet, they've been to 4 championships since then. How?

By drafting complementary PGs and SGs and picking up defensive minded role players. Bruce Bowen wasn't an original spurs draft pick. Neither was McDyess, Bonner, Avery Johnson...

Drafting guards and to some degree small forwards late in the draft can be profitable - but every once in a while, a team has to bite the bullet and either secure that expensive free agent big man or do some excellent scouting (like a year in advance) and position themselves to be able to draft a PF or C who can carry the franchise for years. Yes, it's a crapshoot but that's how it goes. SA has been lucky w/ David Robinson and TD. Now, it's time to try it again - either this year or next year - because, as so many have already pointed out, expensive free agent big men don't come to Texas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do like the Billups and Fields for TP only if their 17th pick is included.

I'd much rather trade RJ, Blair and Hill for Billups and Fields.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've red somewhere that the Sixers are intersted in shopping Iguodala for Turkoglu just to save money.
    I doubt it, but If that's their state of mind, we should inquire and offer a better proposal for them, like Iguodala for RJ + Dice expiring contract...
    For that, they're gonna save a lot more money than nn the Turkoglu's deal, they receive a much better player expecially for their game style (at the moment, RJ is pleying a lot better than Hedo) and Iguodala, also if grossly overpaid, is a kind of player we could really take advantage of in the short (for a last le run) and long time (for replacing an older Gino).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could George Hill and D Blair work for portland's 1st round pick? They need a point guard & a back up power forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since Billups has a fork in him, this is essentially Parker for Fields. Major fail.
    Parker for just Landry Fields isn't such a bad idea IMO. Fields is a rising star in this league and at 6'7" is capable of being that lockdown defender the spurs lack.

And I bet Billups could muster another year or so of respectable basketball before he retires. Would mesh perfectly with the last few decent years of Duncan's career most likely.

I don't know what you expect to get from trading Tony Parker, but its not going to be Chris Paul or Dwight Howard. I suspect you are just a Parker homer tbh.

Very good trade idea IMHO.

Championships don't lie spursbird's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got an idea: Trade TP+RJ+DB(+GH) for Fisher+Artest+Odom(+Brown)+picks
    Why Spurs should do this: Spurs need to unload RJ's contract. Artest brings defense and Odom is a very versatile player who brings height and athletism. Most importantly, their contract will all end up in 2013 which allows the Spurs to quickly rebuild.
    Why Lakers should do this: Kobe is getting older and if they want another ring they really need a good backcourt player. RJ still can play, and has shown high efficiency with 47 FG% and 44% 3G%. Blair and Hill are both great bench players.
    This might make Spurs a lottery team this year, but since the Spurs seem to have no possibility for another le with the current lineup, I think trading for expiring contracts is not a bad idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got an idea: Trade TP+RJ+DB(+GH) for Fisher+Artest+Odom(+Brown)+picks
    Why Spurs should do this: Spurs need to unload RJ's contract. Artest brings defense and Odom is a very versatile player who brings height and athletism. Most importantly, their contract will all end up in 2013 which allows the Spurs to quickly rebuild.
    Why Lakers should do this: Kobe is getting older and if they want another ring they really need a good backcourt player. RJ still can play, and has shown high efficiency with 47 FG% and 44% 3G%. Blair and Hill are both great bench players.
    This might make Spurs a lottery team this year, but since the Spurs seem to have no possibility for another le with the current lineup, I think trading for expiring contracts is not a bad idea.
    Mike Brown is taking over for Jackson, which means the Lakers will run a more Spurs-like system than they have in the past if Coach Brown's past work is any indication. Considering RJ has struggled in the Spurs mid-court and up-tempo incarnations, I'm going to go ahead and say LA would have zero interest in taking on Jefferson, regardless of trade sweeteners.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There were a rumor yesterday about Clippers wanting to sign Tayshaun Prince. If their plan is to add an old SF, RJ can be their guy. RJ for Ryan Gomes works salary wise.
    RJ,Blair and Mcdyess for Kaman would work by the numbers on the trade machine

Rj would be the veteran small forward they need and can work in there system,Blair is a great contract, and could be solid back up to Griffin. Spurs would get the scoring big man they need.

Spurs wouldn't have a small forward though, but can go after one in free agency, and have Butler be the back up.

Thread Information