Page 44 of 143 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 3559
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can tell you we're definitely not getting any of those FAs. A Jefferson trade would be only to keep the window open a paper thickness crack for about 2-3 more years. I'm personally not in any hurry to push Tim out the door. His per minute numbers are still really good. Having Al allows him to play less without us sucking. I recognize that we definitely have to blow it up at some point, but I'm wanting that NOT to be next summer. I'm not sure that you realize that it takes 2-3 years of before you come out the other side. There are no quick fixes.

The big FA thing almost never works anyway. Name the last champion, besides the 2000-2002 Lakers who signed Shaq in 1996, who built their team around a marquee FA signed to be the cornerstone of a franchise.
    http://www.criticalthinking.org.uk/u...pealtohistory/

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Nice, but inapplicable to the limited marketplace of the NBA, and San Antonio's lack of appeal to marquee players and their endorsement companies. Peter Holt didn't help himself during the CBA negotiations, either.

If we couldn't pull a big FA in 2003 with cap room AND a prime Tim Duncan, it's just never going to happen. You forgot this part, too
    The big FA thing almost never works anyway. Name the last champion, besides the 2000-2002 Lakers who signed Shaq in 1996, who built their team around a marquee FA signed to be the cornerstone of a franchise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK Sports Fans,

Here's a trade that you need to THINK about. That is, take a few minutes, internalize the meaning, think about the impacts 2-5 years from now and consider the 2013 Spurs team after TD has retired and they are $30 mil under the salary cap.

TRADE: Richard Jefferson, Tony Parker and DeJuan Blair

for

Kirk Hinrich, Josh Smith and their 1st round pick next year.

What the Spurs lose - notably is TP and his 18 pts, 6 assists and 2 steals a game but more important is his control of the game and decision making. RJ leaving is addition through subtraction and Blair leaving is essentially the loss of a "niche" player who's undersized to play any of the positions he able to play.

What the Spurs gain - notably the PF of the future. Splitter has proven to be a player who can complement a scorer w/ his rebounding, defense and back to the basket offense. Kirk Hinrich is a game manager, a 3 pt threat and fairly decent passer. He's no use defensively but at least the loss of offensive production from TP will be made up by Josh Smith.

Plus, that give the Spurs 2 1st round picks next year when they have the financial resources to trade up and get a fairly high priced player.

That would leave the Spurs with:

PG - Hinrich, Neal, Joseph
    SG - Ginobili, Anderson, Butler)
    SF - Leonard, Butler, Green
    PF - Smith, Splitter, McDyess, Bonner, Novak
    C - Duncan, Splitter, McDyess

Scoring will come from the SG, PF and C positions while defensive will be from the SG, SF, PF, and C positions (perfect for matching up w/ OKC, LA, NO and Memphis).

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    There are players the Spurs will never acquire. Josh Smith is one of them. He's a mean mugging fake tough guy who has no idea how to actually win. He es and grouses if plays aren't run for him, in spite of the fact that he's probably the second worst jump shooter in the NBA, behind Rondo, who plays heavy rotation minutes. He'd be fantastic if he'd just stick to doing the things he does well, but that's not who he is. A good analogy would be that he thinks he's Michael Jordan, but he's actually Scotty Pippen. Being Scotty Pippen is a good thing if you understand that's who you are. If you're Pippen, but you think you're Jordan, that's trouble for coaches, team mates, and you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs would have to do that trade if presented IMO, but I don't see anyway ATL goes for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are players the Spurs will never acquire. Josh Smith is one of them. He's a mean mugging fake tough guy who has no idea how to actually win. He es and grouses if plays aren't run for him, in spite of the fact that he's probably the second worst jump shooter in the NBA, behind Rondo, who plays heavy rotation minutes. He'd be fantastic if he'd just stick to doing the things he does well, but that's not who he is. A good analogy would be that he thinks he's Michael Jordan, but he's actually Scotty Pippen. Being Scotty Pippen is a good thing if you understand that's who you are. If you're Pippen, but you think you're Jordan, that's trouble for coaches, team mates, and you.
    You actually may be right...

But Josh Smith won't need to be a jump shooter in Pop's system as he would be the focus down low. I think a lot of Smith's whining is due to being on a team that has no credible chance of making it to the Conf finals much less a championship.

The biggest challenge for the Spurs is finding a PF that can be a PF. Right now, they have multiple centers and the one guy who could play PF (Blair) is a defensive liability due to size.

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count

But Josh Smith won't need to be a jump shooter in Pop's system as he would be the focus down low. I think a lot of Smith's whining is due to being on a team that has no credible chance of making it to the Conf finals much less a championship.

The biggest challenge for the Spurs is finding a PF that can be a PF. Right now, they have multiple centers and the one guy who could play PF (Blair) is a defensive liability due to size.
    Everyone in Pop's system, except Tim, has to be a jump shooter, and if you want meaningful rotation minutes, you'd better be able to stick the three.

Smith whines because he is a whiner.

I Make Love To Pressure MR.SILVER&BLack's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

we never know Pops plans on how he will play his players. we all thought RJ was going to be playing a slasher but instead just stood in the corner.

wouldnt be surprised if pop would run the same play set for Smith as he does Bonner b/c he knock down a 3 here and there.

But if the trade has a chance they have to pull the trigger.

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    we never know Pops plans on how he will play his players. we all thought RJ was going to be playing a slasher but instead just stood in the corner.

wouldnt be surprised if pop would run the same play set for Smith as he does Bonner b/c he knock down a 3 here and there.

But if the trade has a chance they have to pull the trigger.
    Speak for yourself. The only slashers on this team are Tony and Manu. Everyone else is either a pick and pop player or a spot up shooter. Too many slashers or post up players crowds the paint and makes the opponents playing D too easy. It's all about the spacing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speak for yourself. The only slashers on this team are Tony and Manu. Everyone else is either a pick and pop player or a spot up shooter. Too many slashers or post up players crowds the paint and makes the opponents playing D too easy. It's all about the spacing.
    not being able to get offensive rebounds helps the d too. If the Spurs had a chance at this deal, they would be stupid not to pull the trigger.

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    not being able to get offensive rebounds helps the d too. If the Spurs had a chance at this deal, they would be stupid not to pull the trigger.
    Help me! Do people here even watch this team? Pop has NEVER stressed offensive rebounding. On the contrary, he pretty much abandons them to have the Spurs get back on D and prevent easy points on run outs. That's why Pop places a premium on good shot selection and ball movement. You GET good high percentage shots, and DENY your opponents the same. If you understand this, you understand why Josh Smith will never be a Spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Help me! Do people here even watch this team? Pop has NEVER stressed offensive rebounding. On the contrary, he pretty much abandons them to have the Spurs get back on D and prevent easy points on run outs. That's why Pop places a premium on good shot selection and ball movement. You GET good high percentage shots, and DENY your opponents the same. If you understand this, you understand why Josh Smith will never be a Spur.
    I won't argue that pop stresses transition d, but is it a coincidence that after '05 as the off rebounds dropped so did the defense?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=6tek58u

Duncan
    Smith
    Williams
    Manu
    Parker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=844ltew

Duncan
    Anderson
    Turkoglu
    Manu
    Tony

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=72xefwa

Anderson
    Duncan
    Ganiilinari
    Manu
    Tony J.R Smith

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SCOLA POST!

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=ccaxcoa

Duncan
    Scola
    Kevin Martin
    Manu
    Goran Drajic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=77kbc6h

Kamaan
    Duncan
    Aminu/ Gomez
    Manu
    Tony

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now that I think about it, I think I lean more toward your thinking than my original. However, I think you and I both agree that no matter what the Spurs do, they will not be a championship team until they get a better inside scoring presence than TD.

That may happen this year, it may happen after TD is gone or it may never happen. But, until it does, the Pop system won't work.

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Now that I think about it, I think I lean more toward your thinking than my original. However, I think you and I both agree that no matter what the Spurs do, they will not be a championship team until they get a better inside scoring presence than TD.

That may happen this year, it may happen after TD is gone or it may never happen. But, until it does, the Pop system won't work.
    Tim is still fine in the post, he's just limited in his minutes, and this year, the games that he can play. We need an additional post scorer for that other 20 minutes per game that Tim doesn't play, and the games he's going to have to miss on B2Bs and B2B2Bs this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe Aminu might be on the block since the Clips just acquired Caron Butler. I wonder what it would take to get him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe Aminu might be on the block since the Clips just acquired Caron Butler. I wonder what it would take to get him
    Think he might be. He'd be fantastic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This would make my offseason

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=caqmuvd

well maybe add another big like Kwame

Tony-Neal-Ford-Joseph
    Manu-Anderson-Neal
    Leonard-Aminu
    Tim-Bonner-Kwame?
    Kaman-Tiago-Kwame?

We would get younger and a lot bigger in the paint. Clippers would save some money to re-sign jordan and get a cheap backup for blake in blair.

Thread Information